Q701 impressions thread
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #4,396 of 9,602

Groan! 
That joke is terrible!
redface.gif

I didn't start it. 
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #4,397 of 9,602
I'm going mountaineering, and I simply cannot trust AKG, even if they are made in Austria.  I'm going with The North Face version 
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4,401 of 9,602
I don't have a problem with the headband

Yeah me too it's those damn ridges on the headband which are a pain  :p

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #4,403 of 9,602
Edit:  Tdock beat me too it (woolly bass). 
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,404 of 9,602

Chico, can you by chance recognize those pads? Annie's or K712?
Thanks so much for your precious informations! 
wink.gif

Maybe it's the angle of the camera, but those actually look like the angled pads (Q701/K702) to me. 

FYI, on the underside of the K712 pads, the plastic piece where the locking tabs are is glossy black.  I think the Anniversary might be too, but I'm not 100% confident off of memory.  That picture you posted has matte black plastic so it's probably a stock photo of the angled pads.

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #4,406 of 9,602
I've just received an answer from AKG's headquarter.
They do not admit that Annie's and K712 pads are different...
According to them, the pads and replacement parts' serial numbers are the SAME for Annie and K712.

I even sent a link to this thread with pictures and stuff, but they say it is a misunderstanding/misinterpretation.
It's like talking to a wall.
And they ask $136 for a pair of... I don't even know what, Annie's or K712 pads...? since they are supposed to be exactly the same.

Jeeez...! Is this frustrating and complicated... I'm done.
Is it that hard for AKG to provide us with accurate and comprehensive informations about their pads?
And it's not something anal for us nevrotic geeks: the pads are different and so is the effect on the signature and presentation.
C'mon Frank, we all know that you are lurking... help us... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #4,407 of 9,602
Like I said, the update was silent enough that AKG's own employees aren't aware of it. 

The problem/confusion is ENTIRELY due to them NOT changing the part number once the pads were changed.  So now, they all just get thrown in and mixed together, and there's no sorting them apart unless you go in and inspect the pads yourself.  I'm doubtful AKG could even tell them apart if you asked them to.  I assume that eventually spare K712 pads will replace the batches of the first gen memory foam pads, but I have no idea how long that process will take.

As for trying to talk to AKG about this, the bottom line is:  same part number = same part to AKG's eyes.  AKG's just going to keep on citing that they have the same part number (and unfortunately, they're RIGHT about that) so it's pointless to try and argue with them about it.

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #4,408 of 9,602
1. specifications subject to change without notice

2. companies will always want to reduce and simplify inventory. One way to do this is to use the same parts for various models of headphones or whatever else they may make. Hence they may obsolete various other functionaly identical parts. Everyone does it.

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #4,409 of 9,602
  Like I said, the update was silent enough that AKG's own employees aren't aware of it. 

The problem/confusion is ENTIRELY due to them NOT changing the part number once the pads were changed.  So now, they all just get thrown in and mixed together, and there's no sorting them apart unless you go in and inspect the pads yourself.  I'm doubtful AKG could even tell them apart if you asked them to.  I assume that eventually spare K712 pads will replace the batches of the first gen memory foam pads, but I have no idea how long that process will take.

As for trying to talk to AKG about this, the bottom line is:  same part number = same part to AKG's eyes.  AKG's just going to keep on citing that they have the same part number (and unfortunately, they're RIGHT about that) so it's pointless to try and argue with them about it.

Chicolom, this means that if your Chihuahua eats your K712's pads chances are high that you'll receive two Annie's pads if you order a replacement pair?
Or even worse: one K12 pad + one Annie pad since AKG sell them separately...
Would you blame the Chihuahua or tell AKG to buy their employees new glasses ? 
biggrin.gif

I wonder how many Annie replacement pads they did produce and still have in stock.
They should hire a bunch of students to sort out the pads and put them in two separate boxes, seriously... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #4,410 of 9,602
Chicolom, this means that if your Chihuahua eats your K712's pads chances are high that you'll receive two Annie's pads if you order a replacement pair?

My Chihuahua would never do that.  He's extremely gentle, and I trust him with my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back