Q701 impressions thread
Oct 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #4,381 of 9,602

So, according to Frank, K712 pads = Annie's pads?
Thomann's "K702 Gel-Ear-Pads" product description says "for K702, K702 Anniversary, K701, K601, K712/K612 Pro, clour black, gel-pad, single pad".
It kinda makes sense, but doesn't match with tdock's infos?

Sorry, I mispoke.  The pad part number - 5021871 - is for the K712.  I tried attaching the service manual, but Head-Fi won't let me.  Here's the direct link to it.

Here's the direct link to the K702, Anniversary Service Manual.

I can tell you from looking at both the the Annie uses the same part number, according to AKG.  So yes, that's what AKG is saying, so that's what Frank is saying 
wink.gif
  The K702 uses a different part number.  Just like the K612 uses a different part number than the K712.

If you look at the PDF for the K701, the pads really look like the Q701.  That would make sense.  Can't find a service manual, probably because they're not "Pro."
Found the German/English K601/K701 Service Manual.

Full Compass says it's the same as the one for the K702, but the part numbers are slightly different:

The K702 Service Manual part:  2458M12020
Full Compass part:  2458M12010

Sorry for all the edits, but this schiit's confusing!

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4,382 of 9,602

You're right. I cannot find K712 replacement pads...
Anyway, what makes them so special? (vs. Annie or stock pads)

So, according to Frank, K712 pads = Annie's pads?

It kinda makes sense, but doesn't match with tdock's infos?

I can tell you from looking at both the the Annie uses the same part number, according to AKG.  So yes, that's what AKG is saying, so that's what Frank is saying 
wink.gif

The Anniversary and K712 pads DO have the same part number.  HOWEVER, AKG did a silent rolling update on them sometime near the end of the Anniversaries "life" and the beginning of the K712.  THIS is why there is confusion around them, and this is why it will be tricky to specifically acquire the latest version of the pad (the one that the latest Anniversaries and K712s are using.)  AKG doesn't acknowledge that there is a change between them, and honestly I don't blame then as it's another one of those little anal things that only head-fiers would really notice.  So since the pads both share the same part number and AKG employees aren't really aware of them differing, that obviously makes things difficult for someone trying to specifically get the newer iteration of the pad.

Both pads are memory foam, but K712 pads are shaped a little different.  They have deeper depth on the inside whereas the Anniversaries are more shallow.  They also have more of a vertical walled shape, whereas the anniversary padding is  more like a shorter, fatter, rounded doughnut shape.  It also seems like the the K712 pads might be slightly more densly stuffed with foam, as they seem slightly firmer and less quick to compress as the Anniversary pads. 

Basically the Anniversary and K712 pads have the same effect on the SIGNATURE, but they have different effects on the SOUNDSTAGE/PRESENTATION (btw, I'm not using caps for "shouting" I'm just trying to be extra clear, as there is confusion around the pads).  Both pads will make the sound warmer and fuller, but the Anniversary pads will also make the sound more intimate and forward while the K712 pads will give you the more open/distant presentation more similar to the Q701.  This is 100% due to the deeper depth on the K712 pads.  So the K712 pads basically give you the same signature but with free added soundstage.

Comfort wise, the K712s also have an advantage as your ears will have a bit more room inside and will touch the drivers less.  I have big ears, so I appreciate this.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,383 of 9,602

The Anniversary and K712 pads DO have the same part number.  HOWEVER, AKG did a silent rolling update on them sometime near the end of the Anniversaries "life" and the beginning of the K712.  THIS is why there is confusion around them, and this is why it will be tricky to specifically acquire the latest version of the pad (the one that the latest Anniversaries and K712s are using.)  AKG doesn't acknowledge that there is a change between them, and honestly I don't blame then as it's another one of those little anal things that only head-fiers would really notice.  So since the pads both share the same part number and AKG employees aren't really aware of them differing, that obviously makes things difficult for someone trying to specifically get the newer iteration of the pad.

Both pads are memory foam, but K712 pads are shaped a little different.  They have deeper depth on the inside whereas the Anniversaries are more shallow.  They also have more of a vertical walled shape, whereas the anniversary padding is  more like a shorter, fatter, rounded doughnut shape.  It also seems like the the K712 pads might be slightly more densly stuffed with foam, as they seem slightly firmer and less quick to compress as the Anniversary pads. 

Basically the Anniversary and K712 pads have the same effect on the SIGNATURE, but they have different effects on the SOUNDSTAGE/PRESENTATION (btw, I'm not using caps for "shouting" I'm just trying to be extra clear, as there is confusion around the pads).  Both pads will make the sound warmer and fuller, but the Anniversary pads will also make the sound more intimate and forward while the K712 pads will give you the more open/distant presentation more similar to the Q701.  This is 100% due to the deeper depth on the K712 pads.  So the K712 pads basically give you the same signature but with free added soundstage.

Comfort wise, the K712s also have an advantage as your ears will have a bit more room inside and will touch the drivers less.  I have big ears, so I appreciate this.

Great info and camera work there, Thanks!

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #4,387 of 9,602

Wow, I totally agree with almost every single word you wrote. I think this is the very reason why the Annie pads are a complete fail for me and the K712 pads are pretty good.

It did sound like the Annie pads for ME did reduce the treble a little, but it was probably due to my ears being shoved against the drivers. My ears would touch something inside the pad after an hour or so. This impression of slightly reduced treble is perhaps why my Annie sounded more congested and less airy. Remember how I was that crazy person who said the sound seemed to vary a lot once the pads warmed up? It was probably due to the pads going flat! It almost made it sound like a closed headphone and the sound was much too forward for me. It was really sort of like a shouty sound. Maybe this is why my early impressions of the Annie were a bit all over the place.

Here is something i've also noticed...the Annie pads for me after hours of use are very warm and super soft. It feels like a regular piece of cheap foam and not even memory foam. Not hard at all, but harder when cold of course.

On the K712 pads they retain their shape after a long time and seemed to be a little harder. My guess is that AKG is now using better quality memory foam inside. I think the deeper pads also help out a lot and fool MY brain into thinking I got extra treble over flat Annie pads.

I also think that for the K712 pads, smaller ears = more treble and a less warm/bassy sound. Bigger ears and more clamp gives you perhaps a darker/warmer sound. I probably have smaller ears and it feels like the K712 has less clamp than my Q701, but probably impossible.

This is also why K601 pads decrease my impression of treble. Less air inside the pads just like with the flattened Annie pads.

BTW similar things happen on my DJ100. More open pad and less warmth and more treble. The M50 pads are perfect but with SRH-840 pads the bass for me goes out the window. I use velours and my ears have very little room inside the pads and the sound is way too warm/congested.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #4,388 of 9,602
Service department also just replied and said they're identical. I even pointed out the differences and linked to the photos. I'm going to annoy AKG on Facebook to ask them there.
If I had a K712 PRO and spent $75 on new pads with no return and got flat Annie pads I'd be mad.

Does AKG service department allow returns? Guess i'll ask them.

So yep looks like AKG doesn't want to let out their little secrets
normal_smile .gif

Maybe flat pads are defects.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #4,389 of 9,602
  I'm going to annoy AKG on Facebook to ask them there.

Speaking of AKG's facebook page, check out the new AKG Beatpack!

Could become the next FOTM!   I have a feeling it will be to warm sounding for me though.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #4,390 of 9,602
Running my Q701s with a Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 i picked up for $150 and a Squeezebox Touch as source for files up to 24/96, really happy with the sound quality of these cans.
One of my friends who judges car audio sound quality prefers them to the Copland amp and Castle Howard speakers.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #4,391 of 9,602
Finally after some grueling and agonizing hours with the infamous Q701 head bumps, they finally soften up and becomes much more comfortable...

Now I can listen in peace without having to give my head a rest 
k701smile.gif
 nor do I have to cut them off 
biggrin.gif

PS: I did exercise them quite a lot, maybe that helps hasten up the process 

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #4,393 of 9,602

Speaking of AKG's facebook page, check out the new AKG Beatpack!

Could become the next FOTM!   I have a feeling it will be to warm sounding for me though.

Wow, I will buy it.  Should be very warm sounding. 
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4,394 of 9,602
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #4,395 of 9,602

Wow, I will buy it.  Should be very warm sounding. 
wink.gif

I have a pair (the one in green). It's nice but when you don't get a good seal the bass is severely reduced. With a poor seal it's too cold and airy sounding. Severe loss of warmth.
To fix this i've put pillow stuffing in there and sealed it up good with duck tape. It took me about 3 hours and was very hard to A/B test. It now has about 3db more low bass and better isolation.

My friends in Austria report that they are coming out with the Ski Mask edition that's made out of pure wool with gold accents. Full sound impressions are on the way soon. He says the bass is a bit woolly and you feel as if something is a bit veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back