Q701 impressions thread
Oct 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #4,112 of 9,602
  This is so stressful. :frowning2:

I have about $450 to spend total. Is there any decent setup that can be had for this price, with or without the Q701? I would rather not buy used because i live in canada and it is difficult with shipping and stuff.

Not to add to your stress, but I'm very happy with my JDS Labs C5 driving Q701, K550 and Grado SR225.  It runs $189.  They also have the O2 ($129) and cMoyBB v2.03 Headphone Amplifier ($59). Reputable shop with attention to detail.  Free (still, I think) printing of pretty much any design on the C5.  It's portable and can drive a lot of different cans.  Full specs, etc., on the site and the owner's blog.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #4,113 of 9,602
  Chicolom - Have you guys heard the K/Q 7xx with a tube amp?

I haven't had a chance to listen to them through a tube amp.  I have the M-stage, but it doesn't sound all that warm to me.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4,114 of 9,602
Not to add to your stress, but I'm very happy with my JDS Labs C5 driving Q701, K550 and Grado SR225.  It runs $189.  They also have the O2 ($129) and cMoyBB v2.03 Headphone Amplifier ($59). Reputable shop with attention to detail.  Free (still, I think) printing of pretty much any design on the C5.  It's portable and can drive a lot of different cans.  Full specs, etc., on the site and the owner's blog.

I agree that you cannot go wrong with JDS Labs. If you are running Android on your phone, I'd wait till the E18 comes out. It's gonna be great and powerful. I'll get one fit sure to upgrade my E07K.

C
urrently loving my setup. Looks very lovely.

Sexy...

The E17 is nice, especially with all the options it has and the low price. The Q701 does scale well with better gear though. My ODAC and my vintage Pioneer SX-750 do a much better job. The SX-750 is a better amp, and the ODAC is a better DAC. 

ODAC is one of the best purchases I've done since I entered the audio world, together with the Q's. :D

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4,115 of 9,602
On the question of amping - for another opinion.  My understanding with the X701 series - is they require more current than voltage.  I've owned the K701 and Q701 - currently own the K702.

Current amps are Audio-gd NFB-12 (SS) and LD MK IV (OTL tube)

The K702 (and for that matter the Q701) actually sound better to me out of the NFB-12.

This may vary with individual tastes - and I guess OTL vs hybrid (where a hybrid may have tube colouration, but SS current).

The other thing I've noticed (especially with the K702) - the more current, the better they respond.  The bass does seem to lose a lot of control and impact if they are under-amped.

My 2c.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #4,116 of 9,602

You only have the K712 now right? Or still have your Q701? I know you have Q701 pads.

Just the K712 and angled pads.

Maybe the changes with the K712 and Q701 pads are much different than with the Q701.

I doubt they are that different.  It's the same mod being applied to very nearly the same headphone. 

Does the K712 itself with Q701 pads have more bass than the stock Q701? That may explain some things.

Only very slightly more. 

After two weeks the soundstage for me is much more spacious and more accurate. Better depth as well. This is the 2nd best improvement.

After two weeks?  If there is a change in the soundstage, it's minor IMO. 

If you used a K712 for testing (with Q701) pads I have an idea why there may be differences..
There is no stock outer grill foam and the K712 grill is more open. This would probably give much more bass than the Q701 with the foam installed. This may explain why the mids are different for you.
When the modded q701 has no outer grill or foam the low bass is increased a little and it's audible.

With my Q701 I never heard much difference between the outer grill having foam or no-foam. 

Mids are definitely fuller for me. If mine sounded less full or more distant I'd have reversed it on day one. Not a huge difference. Not any more forward or recessed for me.

Yeah, I'm not hearing any fuller mids :\ 

Now maybe you really have the Q701. If not you could try to re-create the modded Q701 grill by putting outer foam inside the grill. The outer grill and foam with the modded Q701 is VERY important.

The K712 won't ever sound just like the Q701.  I did a lot of comparing between the K712 and Anniversary (which sounds 99% like the Q701) and the K712 was always different sounding regardless of any pads or anything else.  Neither of them have any foam under the outer grill. 

BTW for ME there was many more improvements i've heard. It actually now sounds more transparent, which is bizarre. Clearer too and not due to any more treble and less warmth. It almost reminds me of my DJ100 with M50 pads. That thing has very full mids and they're so crystal clear with the best recordings. I get that now with my modded Q701 too. This is with the Modi/Micro Amp (both transparent IMO).

OK.  If you hear a bunch of miscellaneous improvements I won't try and argue with you.  I have to be honest with my impressions though, and I personally don't hear them. 

Strangely for me my modded Q701 doesn't have much of a big boost in low-bass. Probably not more than 2db.

It's not a big boost, but it's probably the most audible difference I hear from the mod.  I would say mod one side and not the other and listen to those very low frequency tones I posted.  The modded side was producing an audible signal at 18hz, 16h, etc. where I could barely hear it on the un-modded side.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #4,117 of 9,602
  On the question of amping - for another opinion.  My understanding with the X701 series - is they require more current than voltage.  I've owned the K701 and Q701 - currently own the K702.

Current amps are Audio-gd NFB-12 (SS) and LD MK IV (OTL tube)

The K702 (and for that matter the Q701) actually sound better to me out of the NFB-12.

This may vary with individual tastes - and I guess OTL vs hybrid (where a hybrid may have tube colouration, but SS current).

The other thing I've noticed (especially with the K702) - the more current, the better they respond.  The bass does seem to lose a lot of control and impact if they are under-amped.

My 2c.

Being low impedance, these headphones require a fair bit of current to drive them properly. Most of the sound energy is contained in low to medium frequencies, so if the amp can't deliver enough current these areas will suffer the most. The fairly low sensitivity makes this requirement even more pronounced.
Regarding amps, I'm quite enjoying my Q701 with WA7 - oddly enough it delivers a bit more bass than the NFB-5, while also smoothing out the mids (as tube amps do). The trick is that it has transformer coupled output, so it can deliver enough current without help of SS components.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #4,118 of 9,602
ODAC is one of the best purchases I've done since I entered the audio world, together with the Q's.
biggrin.gif

You, sir, have one hand on my wallet, and with the other are beckoning JDS Labs to come collect  
wink.gif

Given that more than half my listening is done on a laptop with a Realtek ALC269 and whatever DAC it uses, and occasionally a PC with an M-Audio Revo 5.1, I'm wondering if the ODAC would produce a notable improvement, esp. with the Q701 amped with the C5.  I am able to play 24/192 FLACs with this laptop (Toshiba Qosmio circa 2011), which is nice.  Not familiar with standalone DACs, but most in the $150 range seem to be 24/96.  I only have a few 24/192 albums, so no big deal.

My question is, with reference style cans like the Q701, will I hear a difference between using the Realtek DAC and the ODAC, when the cans are driven by the C5 or some similarly decent SS amp?

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #4,119 of 9,602
When I jumped from the DAC on the E07K to the ODAC I said... HOLY COW! So I imagine you will notice the difference even more than me. At that point I was already bypassing the amp on the E07K and using the O2 so I know the change was the DAC. I noticed and improvement in the bass details, but especially in the upper mids and treble. If you are curious about it you can try the Sabre first that is much cheaper and some people reported to be pretty similar.

I think that was the moment in which I unleashed the full potential of the Q's. I don't mean to hype the ODAC either, but I think is a good buy for sure.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #4,120 of 9,602
Originally Posted by Chicolom

After two weeks?  If there is a change in the soundstage, it's minor IMO. 

Well, it's not like the difference is so large that it makes it sound like a K501 or AD700, but it's really a nice improvement. I would say for me it's a little greater than minor. It brings it closer to the K701's soundstage but without anything sounding too distant or losing the full mids or good center image. This is so far only the 3rd headphone i've owned where it felt like the sound was almost speaker like. The "out of head" sound was more common on the K501 I had though. That thing kept making me look behind me like something outside my headphone was happening.

With my Q701 I never heard much difference between the outer grill having foam or no-foam. 

I've compared this many many times and it's really (stock q701 with foam and no foam) subtle. I like it with the foam installed stock because it reduces the soundstage a tiny bit and makes everything sound closer. I know this is weird, but that's what I hear. I wish I could remember some examples of songs. Here is one interesting test I remember. You can take really really harsh recordings with annoying upper mid/treble peaks and it's actually less bothersome with the foam removed. Not sure why and I guess this would vary depending on what frequency it was.

On the modded Q701 for me the difference is much greater. There is a tad more bass than I'd like with foam removed so I keep it installed. You actually get more present low bass with no foam and no grill. I bet the K712 modded is closer to that sound but maybe not.
I doubt your K712 is now modded still but seriously try a tiny piece of foam or paper towel inside the outer grill. I bet that's the trick with the K712 and even the K702.

The K712 won't ever sound just like the Q701.  I did a lot of comparing between the K712 and Anniversary (which sounds 99% like the Q701) and the K712 was always different sounding regardless of any pads or anything else.  Neither of them have any foam under the outer grill. 

Oh I know. I should have worded that better. I just meant that adding a piece of foam would get you CLOSER to the modded Q701's sound. This is obviously with angled pads and the mod installed (well duh).
I mentioned this a few weeks ago but I bet there is a good chance this might not work as well with the K702.

One amusing thing to hear is to have the mod in place and then remove the foam behind the pads. You actually get bloated bass and not LESS bass. I was really surprised.

OK.  If you hear a bunch of miscellaneous improvements I won't try and argue with you.  I have to be honest with my impressions though, and I personally don't hear them. 

No problem and I bet adding some foam would make it sound slightly different even though with stock Q701 there's not much. I think the K702 and K712 grills let the driver just get way too much air. I guess it's all about getting the perfect amount. I bet for the K712 a piece of tape over the hole that's slightly open would be good. I believe that's either 3M Transpore or Micropore. Whatever one was fairly open.

Some of my impressions of the mod are a little off the usual consensus but that's OK. My brain is now so adjusted to the sound that it now starting to all sound normal. When I give myself a few days off it almost sounds like my HD-650 on steroids.
Really just can't understand why my modded Q701 sounds clearer. In comparison the stock seems like it almost has an ultra tiny veil to the sound. I mean it's still pretty clear but never was crystal clear to me.

It's not a big boost, but it's probably the most audible difference I hear from the mod.  I would say mod one side and not the other and listen to those very low frequency tones I posted.  The modded side was producing an audible signal at 18hz, 16h, etc. where I could barely hear it on the un-modded side.

I think the low bass I'm trying to hear is probably WAY to low to be really audible with the mod. I guess the mod can only do so much! It's funny hearing weird bangs on the floor and other random weirdness that never even registered before. There's stuff on my Tony Bennett CD that even requires very good low bass extension. Hahah, never would have imagined. They would always show up on my KRK KNS-8400 and DJ100 but almost never on the HD-650 and Q701. Well, now they're there. Someone banging on the floor is sub-bass?
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to figure out what frequencies all the low bass rumbling sounds are at in Fallout 3. Definitely not mid-bass but no real change with my modded Q701. On the DT-770 Pro 80 I got a nice ear massage. I think on an open headphone those low-bass sounds I'm referring to are actually SUPPOSED to sound more distant but I was fooled.

No headphone has ever gotten close to how that game sounds on my DJ100. Maybe someday I can find a headphone that has fuller mids than the modded Q701 and HD-650 but yet no lack of treble. Maybe HE-400, but I don't know if it has really full mids or not and that's totally off my radar.

BTW you ever listen to a headphone and feel like you can feel the bass in your toes? This is extremely rare but happens sometimes. Must be imagining things. I don't mean on a bass heavy headphone. Heard it once on my KRK 8400 and everyone tells me that's bass light! No way!

Oh one last thing. Did the modded K712 and stock pads have way too much bass or did you just check it with Q701 pads?

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #4,121 of 9,602
When I jumped from the DAC on the E07K to the ODAC I said... HOLY COW! So I imagine you will notice the difference even more than me. At that point I was already bypassing the amp on the E07K and using the O2 so I know the change was the DAC. I noticed and improvement in the bass details, but especially in the upper mids and treble. If you are curious about it you can try the Sabre first that is much cheaper and some people reported to be pretty similar.

I think that was the moment in which I unleashed the full potential of the Q's. I don't mean to hype the ODAC either, but I think is a good buy for sure.

By the way, I´m introducing some of my colleagues in this world, and tomorrow we will be listening to my setup. That means I will be A/Bing again the E07K vs the ODAC on the Q´s. I´ll report back.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #4,122 of 9,602

The first DAC I had was the Nuforce Icon Mobile. I was clueless and no frequency graphs of it around back then. No wonder it sounded so good with the D2000... it rolls off at like 200hz
biggrin.gif

I switched to the HRT MSII and was never really impreseed with that so I ended up with the ODAC. The ODAC made my Q701 actually sound smoother. Not any colder/thinner etc.

Of course now I prefer the Modi but for those that have the ODAC already it might not be worth switching. I was glad to make the switch.

ODAC center image is kind of weird compared to the Modi. Sounds like everything stays nearly in the same spot at times in front of you. Harder to judge the distance. Not even sure how this is possible. People say that if the Modi sounds different than the ODAC than it's obviously colored. Nonsense!

I can't hear any difference in the actual sound signatures. NONE. I felt like maybe the ODAC was clearer for about 2 seconds but then I think my brain was fooled.

So IMO the ODAC and Modi are at the same level mostly. I suggest the Modi to people since it's cheaper
normal_smile .gif

I'm always amused how at one time I kept complaining my amp was too warm or had a small soundstage. It was all the HRT MSIIs fault and the amp was just being transparent. The soundstage on the MSII is kind of small. No wonder my SRH-940 and DJ100 sounded warmer than they should be.

Another interesting thing is that on my E9 I could barely tell the difference between the ODAC and MSII. Wow, terrible. Good job E9
confused_face_2.gif
To hear the difference it took a better amp. Had to do that with the ODAC and Modi too.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #4,123 of 9,602
Another interesting thing is that on my E9 I could barely tell the difference between the ODAC and MSII. Wow, terrible. Good job E9
confused_face_2.gif
To hear the difference it took a better amp. Had to do that with the ODAC and Modi too.

I bet they are. I don´t think anybody proved the ODAC was colorless (unlike the O2). I chose the ODAC just for convenience in doing one package with the O2. As I said, the Sabre is apparently at the same level as well, but around 50$ less. I just didn´t want to take the chance in my first DIY proyect. I might be trying variances in the future.

I forgot to mention I got another pair of Q´s for my office. I´m expecting them to arrive next week so I´ll try to A/B moded and unmodded. 
biggrin.gif

In black they are sexy man...

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #4,124 of 9,602
Quote:

Well then, happy birthday to me  
k701smile.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #4,125 of 9,602

I bet they are. I don´t think anybody proved the ODAC was colorless (unlike the O2). I chose the ODAC just for convenience in doing one package with the O2. As I said, the Sabre is apparently at the same level as well, but around 50$ less. I just didn´t want to take the chance in my first DIY proyect. I might be trying variances in the future.

To my ears the ODAC and Modi sound transparent. They actually sound more transparent than the O2 itself. OK it sounds weird saying that. Seriously the only way I could describe them is like not cold/thin or warm. The only time I could call either "thin" is only in comparison to like the E17 DAC, which has a touch of warmth. OK now I probably sound like one of what's his name's minions, but that's how I hear the ODAC/Modi. The O2 sounds transparent and more so than the Magni. Magni wasn't that bad though, but I preferred the E9. Ugh..

O2 was pretty good with the Q701, but I never found out if it got even smoother with an upgraded wall wart. O2 felt like it just had a hint of brightness somewhere and barely audible with most tracks. This was only with the Q701. So minor it's not even worth mentioning.

My Micro sounds like an O2 with a little smoother treble. Lots of small differences that nobody would care about. I think it sounds more transparent than the O2
normal_smile .gif

Sounds amazing even after 3 years and trying out dozens of different headphones. No synergy nonsense. The O2 is pretty much that too (seems like), but I haven't tried a DT-990 or 325is with it yet!

I want to punch myself in the face for getting rid of the O2 so soon. Wanted to find something even better for under $250 that I don't own already. Haven't found it yet.
I just want to forget my ordeal with the Asgard2. The Matrix M-Stage is now on my radar as a backup amp but I might just get the Micro DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back