Q701 impressions thread
Sep 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,946 of 9,602
  I'm going to try that bass boost mod. I recently tried the Q701s with just the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and the performance was disappointing. I set the amp option to High Gain, EQ disabled w/ Hi-Fi Mode ON, and my listening volume was at 40 in the Windows Volume Mixer. The highs were ear piercing and there was literally no bass at all. My previous setup was an ASUS Xonar DX + AKG k271 MK2 and that setup sounded so much better and way more fulfilling.

My budget is around +/- $200 and I was looking into getting a DAC Destroyer + Little Dot 1+. Do you guys have any other setups that you think would be better for around the same price? I read some mixed opinions on the E17 + E09k. How would the FiiO setup compare to the DD + Little Dot 1+?

Edit: I just discovered the Schiit Modi + Magni set for 200. Does anyone have any insight on these setups and which is best suited for the Q701s? Thank you

I just received Aune T1 w/6922EH last week. And I use E17 before as DAC/Amp with my Q701

Aune T1 absolutely improve on every aspect over E17 in terms of sound quality.

ie Detail, low end authority, sound separation, sound stage (depth), sound seemed fuller across the spectrum.

E17 still hold its own on features:
portable, optical in, built-in EQ

The price difference is about $20 more for the Aune T1

For now, Aune T1 will be for home and E17 will be for travelling.

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #3,947 of 9,602
Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" has never sounded so good!

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #3,948 of 9,602
Glad that "the word" is spreading and there is an overall positive consensus about the mod. 
L3000.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3,949 of 9,602
Just got my Q701 from Amazon. But sadly, it is made in China, not Austria, even Amazon's customer rep gave me confirmation via email their stock is indeed made in Austria. Anyone found any difference between those made in China or Austria?

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #3,951 of 9,602
  Just got my Q701 from Amazon. But sadly, it is made in China, not Austria, even Amazon's customer rep gave me confirmation via email their stock is indeed made in Austria. Anyone found any difference between those made in China or Austria?

Dad : son, you know that God made everything, right?
Son : yup, you know that God is Chinese, right?
Dad : ???????????

biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3,953 of 9,602
  Did anyone ever make a video of the Q701 mod that everyone is talking about?

I haven't seen one yet. Even if one did exist it would be a pain in the butt to do it with the camera going.
Someone managed to do it without removing the outer plastic cover. I can't even see the port without removing that piece.

Also..make sure the wires are not directly behind the outer grill clip holes when you put everything back together.

I don't suggest it without tweezers. A small flat/thin screwdriver helps too.

Reversing the mod only requires plastic tape!

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #3,955 of 9,602
Can anyone compare Q701 to DT880?
Thanks!:)

They actually sound quite different.
The Q701 is brighter.
The DT880 is a more balanced, neutral 'phone.
The DT880 have fuller bass.
The Qs show more space and ambience.

But I personally prefer the Qs.

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #3,956 of 9,602
There are no negatives with the Q701 mod, none!

Do you have the foam in behind the grilles or nothing at all?

I wondered why I hung around on this thread, because I didn't like my Q701 - thought maybe I was becoming a little trollish, perhaps I was hoping to hear about a mod that would help me like them ... and then it happened.
Amazed that they are sold as they are.
I am still using mine without the foam - maybe I'll test alternatives at the weekend.
I find using needle nosed pliers good for removing the sticker, just lever up at the edge with a thin-bladed screwdriver  - just enough to get a grip - then just lift up, easy as.

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #3,957 of 9,602
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607019/akg-q701-simple-mod-increase-bass-and-decrease-soundstage-a-little

This is the mod you guys are referring too correct?

@tdockweiler you seem to be very informed when it comes to the guts of the Q701. Would it be too much to ask for you to make a disassembly/mod guide or take a few pictures?

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #3,960 of 9,602
It should say "made is Austria" on the sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back