Q701 impressions thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #3,856 of 9,602

No question Q701 gives a lot of bang for the buck. It seems priced right @ $200 - $300.

Nope, I don't think it's priced right.  It's a super bargain especially in comparison to HPs like Sein600 and 650.  IMO, The Q701 is equivalent to those I just mentioned.
Comparing the Q701 to their flagship HD800 could be unfair but I would say from listening to both, the improvements that the HD800 has over the Q701 are anywhere from 10 to at best 20% but you pay dearly for that improvement.  Cases like this indicate/emphasize the diminishing return big time in audio equipment.  Worth it or not?  that's up to each individual.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,857 of 9,602
  You guys are a bunch of deaf, self-deceiving, day-dreaming individuals.  You just messed up the perfect balance that Quincy Jones intended for the Q701.

Quincy Jones ... who has two titanium knees and a hearing aid that whistles when he speaks. Great choice for a celeb endorsement.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,858 of 9,602
  Quincy Jones ... who has two titanium knees and a hearing aid that whistles when he speaks. Great choice for a celeb endorsement.

lmao.  Who says you need to hear music to know it's good.  You can just feel it. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #3,860 of 9,602
Sometimes I keep forgetting these are celebrity endorsed headphones...luckily it's just a tiny Q and some different letters on the headband.
Oh and green cables and thread.

AKG should just use up their green cables and then just send black ones instead. Nobody likes the green!

You know what..I think this mod would actually be better on the K702 or K701.

BTW I tried K601 pads on the Q701 with this mod. Sounds much darker, but just not worth it. Soundstage is much smaller and not in a good way.

I actually own two celebrity endorsed headphones. Just some weird coincidence. Honest!
biggrin.gif

PS. Asgard 2 is on the way. I might get it on Saturday but could be as late as Monday.
Don't tell me anything about it! It will either be amazing with the Q701 or awful.
If it's a clone of the Magni I will cry (not that the Magni is bad).

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #3,862 of 9,602
  Lady Gaga?

If you were born in the 80s or 90s you probably have no idea who this is!
That picture is kind of amusing to me.

LOL what's funny to me is that with M50 pads and a full desktop amp/dac his headphone is one of my favorites.

The bass on the modded Q701 is very close in quantity to the TBSE/DJ100 though with M50 pads. DJ100 has more low bass presence though.
Comparing open to closed headphones is dumb though...

(that's Tony Bennett)

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #3,863 of 9,602
I'm not experiencing the whole "distance" issue that you are describing tdock. I think it's all in the recording. Some music is recorded as if the vocals are right in your head and some are recorded like the singer is up on stage. I was thinking about maybe saving up to upgrade to an HD800, but after this mod I think I'll be happy enough for a while.

I really need to spend my money on expanding my music collection instead of constantly searching for better headphones. I only own about 300 albums or about 3000 songs altogether. I also sometimes use MOG, but I'd really like to grow my physical CD collection. Lately I've been getting quite a bit of joy out of buying music, after all, that is what these headphones are meant for. I've been finding used CD's at local record stores and local flea markets, and It's nice walking away with 5 CD's for 10 bucks. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3,864 of 9,602
  I'm not experiencing the whole "distance" issue that you are describing tdock. I think it's all in the recording. Some music is recorded as if the vocals are right in your head and some are recorded like the singer is up on stage. I was thinking about maybe saving up to upgrade to an HD800, but after this mod I think I'll be happy enough for a while.

I really need to spend my money on expanding my music collection instead of constantly searching for better headphones. I only own about 300 albums or about 3000 songs altogether. I also sometimes use MOG, but I'd really like to grow my physical CD collection. Lately I've been getting quite a bit of joy out of buying music, after all, that is what these headphones are meant for. I've been finding used CD's at local record stores and local flea markets, and It's nice walking away with 5 CD's for 10 bucks. 

Yeah I think it's not really the headphone's fault. I think what the problem is is that the mod makes this distance easier to hear. More true to the recording. So basically i'm trying to change something when it's just the headphone trying to be accurate (I think). I do think some people would be annoyed with the change but maybe not. I know that when I boosted the treble in an EQ everything is back where it should be.

It's much worse on the Modi compared to my O2/E17.Maybe my Modi just has an abnormally massive soundstage but I doubt it!

Luckily I haven't spent more than $70 on headphones this entire year.  I think i'll be set with my DJ100, Q701 and HD-650 for about forever. The only thing that's almost tempted me lately is giving the A900X a try. It's graphs look a bit goofy but I might like it.

So somehow I've defeated my addiction to buying headphones! The HD-650 helped me do that.

Now if I could find the perfect backup amp for under $300 that's built in the USA. The O2 and Magni were not quite it but I liked both though.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3,865 of 9,602

Yeah I think it's not really the headphone's fault. I think what the problem is is that the mod makes this distance easier to hear. More true to the recording. So basically i'm trying to change something when it's just the headphone trying to be accurate (I think). I do think some people would be annoyed with the change but maybe not. I know that when I boosted the treble in an EQ everything is back where it should be.

It's much worse on the Modi compared to my O2/E17.Maybe my Modi just has an abnormally massive soundstage but I doubt it!

Luckily I haven't spent more than $70 on headphones this entire year.  I think i'll be set with my DJ100, Q701 and HD-650 for about forever. The only thing that's almost tempted me lately is giving the A900X a try. It's graphs look a bit goofy but I might like it.

So somehow I've defeated my addiction to buying headphones! The HD-650 helped me do that.

Now if I could find the perfect backup amp for under $300 that's built in the USA. The O2 and Magni were not quite it but I liked both though.

The soundstage with my ODAC is definitely bigger than with the E17, both in depth and width. I know the ODAC is very similar to the Modi. I am a fan of a big soundstage and good imaging, but I'm not overly picky about it. I'm always more concerned with frequency response and detail retrieval with headphones. 

Have you ever tried any vintage receivers as a headphone amp? The Q701 with it's really flat impedance curve and need for big power do really well with my Pioneer. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #3,866 of 9,602
The ODAC is simply impressive. For real I wasn't expecting such a big difference with the E17 / E07K, but the difference is noticeable, specially with the Q701 that are so revealing. I really like this ODAC » O2 » modded Q701 combo.

I'm really looking forward to hear something better because I'm really impressed.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3,867 of 9,602
The ODAC is simply impressive. For real I wasn't expecting such a big difference with the E17 / E07K, but the difference is noticeable, specially with the Q701 that are so revealing. I really like this ODAC » O2 » modded Q701 combo.

The ODAC is impressive for sure. I'm loving my ODAC -> SX750 -> modded Q701 combo. With a well recorded album ripped into Apple lossless along with bit perfect output it's quite nice. Very detailed but can also be fun at the same time.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #3,868 of 9,602

I'm not sure where the iFi iCan is built, but it's an amp worth trying for the cool switches on it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,869 of 9,602
Quote:

No question Q701 gives a lot of bang for the buck. It seems priced right @ $200 - $300.

Originally Posted by koiloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, I don't think it's priced right.  It's a super bargain especially in comparison to HPs like Sein600 and 650.  IMO, The Q701 is equivalent to those I just mentioned.
Comparing the Q701 to their flagship HD800 could be unfair but I would say from listening to both, the improvements that the HD800 has over the Q701 are anywhere from 10 to at best 20% but you pay dearly for that improvement.  Cases like this indicate/emphasize the diminishing return big time in audio equipment.  Worth it or not?  that's up to each individual.

I realize this is the Q701 appreciation thread, but no, it is priced right @ $200 - $300 and then only if you like it's sound signature.  Above that, you can do better.  But this is all IMHO and all, and I defer to the home court advantage.  Take your final p*ss in the p*ssing match, and you win, we can call it a day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back