Q701 impressions thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #3,826 of 9,602
Quincy Jones is crying himself to sleep tonight.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #3,827 of 9,602
Just got another email from Quincy. He says he had his people do the mod, and he absolutely FLOVES it! But we're still not invited to his next party. He's gotta maintain his street cred.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,828 of 9,602
I'm considering purchasing a pair of K701s. I currently own the Q701s and I have a bit of money laying around. Call it stupid but I've always really longed for a pair of K701s, to me they're so aesthetically pleasing. I don't really want to start this up again, but, what differentiates the K701s from the Q701s sound-wise? I really love the sound of AKG headphones. Would the K701s be more suited towards me or should I save my money?

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #3,832 of 9,602
Yeah, what I said in here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/594927/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-comparison-review

The pair I compared were different.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #3,833 of 9,602
Apparently they are drier, less bassy and with a wider soundstage, but again, Chicolom will add something else tomorrow.

Yeah, what I said in here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/594927/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-comparison-review

The pair I compared were different.

There's a lot of variable w/ the K702 / K701 headphones. The newest versions are identical to the Q701, and the old old ones don't have the bass of the Q701. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #3,834 of 9,602
Hmm, I'm still looking into it. To be honest, Chicolom's post kinda makes me want to keep my money. I feel like I'd prefer the sound of the Q701s over the K701/702s. I'm still debating and still doing a bit of my own research. If however, there's that marginable of a difference between the old-new K701s, I might take a gamble and look into trying to purchase a newer pair.

EDIT: I found a pair on eBay with a different set of cables from Moon Audio. The seller's claiming it's an $800 value (in upgrades alone). This is sounds like a really good deal but I'm still debating LOL.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #3,835 of 9,602
  Hmm, I'm still looking into it. To be honest, Chicolom's post kinda makes me want to keep my money. I feel like I'd prefer the sound of the Q701s over the K701/702s. I'm still debating and still doing a bit of my own research. If however, there's that marginable of a difference between the old-new K701s, I might take a gamble and look into trying to purchase a newer pair.

EDIT: I found a pair on eBay with a different set of cables from Moon Audio. The seller's claiming it's an $800 value (in upgrades alone). This is sounds like a really good deal but I'm still debating LOL.

Out of curiosity I looked up the auction :D

That seller on ebay named "Phonitor" constantly buys audio items and sells them at hefty mark-ups. Here's the headphones originally being sold:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K-701-Headband-Headphones-Customized-by-Moon-Audio-/290946406827?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item43bdc1d9ab&nma=true&si=qZ%252BHVDblqjQoQDIG3nKE%252BBAkUzM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Not to tell you what to do 
wink.gif
, but don't think you're getting some stellar value with those headphones. The used market says they're worth about $180. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #3,836 of 9,602
Damn, lmao. I thought that was a deal I should definitely hop on, I appreciate that :p. I didn't really notice, all I saw was that the cables were recustomized and I thought that I'd be getting a great deal. Just goes to show how ill-informed I am at pricing. What I might do is get a pair of used K701s. That way I won't be at as much of a loss should I decide I don't really like them. I shall now get to researching the differences between the two pairs.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #3,837 of 9,602
  Damn, lmao. I thought that was a deal I should definitely hop on, I appreciate that :p. I didn't really notice, all I saw was that the cables were recustomized and I thought that I'd be getting a great deal. Just goes to show how ill-informed I am at pricing. What I might do is get a pair of used K701s. That way I won't be at as much of a loss should I decide I don't really like them. I shall now get to researching the differences between the two pairs.

Basically that's what the guy does. He buys used items and then relists them making them seem like they are some incredible value by tossing in some "audiofool" mumbo jumbo to make people think they are really high quality items. He's constantly bidding on audio items, and then they show up in his store a few weeks later at a 100% markup. It's pretty annoying

After awhile I started buying most headphones used. You won't lose very much if you buy them used, audition them and decide you don't like them. I'd expect a used pair of Q701/K701 to run about $140-$180 depending on condition, timing, etc. 

The newer K702/K701 sound identical to the Q701. It's the older ones that sound lighter on the bass and much more open. I'd recommend the newest version or the Q701. I think most people would prefer it over the older ones. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #3,838 of 9,602
  I already loved my Q701, but DAMN these sound soooo perfect now. Not to continue the hype, but I can't imagine liking any other headphone anymore than what I am hearing right now.

Good lossless music with bit perfect output to the ODAC + vintage Pioneer SX-750 receiver + modded Q701 = perfection in my book! 

Very, VERY detailed but also very fun to listen to. The Q701 with the type of music I usually listen to will never be great at high volume, but for low to moderate levels it's fantastic. I really don't like listening to music at high volumes anymore anyway. I'd rather save my hearing and listen at a moderate level and be fully immersed in all the detail that is hiding in the music. 

Yes, they're better with the mod, but, not to take away from your hyperbole (obviously, when I say this, it's actually exactly what I'm trying to do 
size]
), these are still near the bottom of my "Rank your headphones" list.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #3,839 of 9,602

Yes, they're better with the mod, but, not to take away from your hyperbole (obviously, when I say this, it's actually exactly what I'm trying to do 
size]
), these are still near the bottom of my "Rank your headphones" list.

Please enlighten me of your list so we can discuss about your ranking in a positive manner.  HD800?  T1? what else?

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #3,840 of 9,602

The newer K702/K701 sound identical to the Q701. It's the older ones that sound lighter on the bass and much more open. I'd recommend the newest version or the Q701. I think most people would prefer it over the older ones. 

I think you're the first person that has said this and this hasn't really been proven by anyone.

I would actually think the early K701 would be bassier since it appears to be more open due to the plastic outer grill piece being different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back