Q701 impressions thread
Sep 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3,571 of 9,602
Taboo + Q701 = sonic heaven.  Now, I am curious about HD800. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #3,572 of 9,602
So would K612 + memory foam pads = Bass Monsters?

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #3,573 of 9,602
Any decent ~10 foot cables for this from aftermarket vendors? I like the default cable but it's too thin and is getting scuffed after only a week of use. Looking for a high quality, sturdy and thick cable with good sound and I'd like it to look nice too if possible.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #3,574 of 9,602
Any decent ~10 foot cables for this from aftermarket vendors? I like the default cable but it's too thin and is getting scuffed after only a week of use. Looking for a high quality, sturdy and thick cable with good sound and I'd like it to look nice too if possible.

I think Cardas makes a cable for the Q.

I think Moon Audio also makes a cable 4 the Q.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #3,575 of 9,602

Try this:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

Generic Belden Wire and only $27! I've bought one from them before and had no problems.

You can also try Redco. They make them but you will need to dig through this thread for the proper wiring instructions. I'm sure they have them memorized by now.

EDIT: The one in the link is rather thin but you can ask them to use a higher gauge of wire. I also fixed the link. Included the wrong one. Oops. They also have a 1/4" version.

DIY version would only cost under $30 but it's a pain in the butt! I hope you have a vise and some "helping hands". Soldering the mini XLR plugs is annoying for me.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3,576 of 9,602
So would K612 + memory foam pads = Bass Monsters?

I think the K612 (well, K601 anyway) would be darker and warmer than even the Anniversary.
I think there must be a reason AKG didn't add memory foam pads to the K612!

Wasn't there someone here that was going to try a K612? I want to know what that sounds like.

I remember the K601 being better than the Q701 for rock music, but didn't A/B them enough.
I think maybe it's darker and has more mid-bass. Maybe i'm wrong about the bass, but I do miss the K601..

K601 was especially good with stuff like Primus and Pearl Jam..

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #3,577 of 9,602
Katun tried it, but he has it listed for sale because it didn't fit right.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,578 of 9,602

I had Redco make a 5-footer with the following:

MAR W2893 (Mogami : MINI QUAD MIC, BLK)
CNR F12 3.5mm mini plug (only one that would fit that cable, which isn't ridiculously thick)
REDCO TA3FB-L (MINI 3PIN FXLR-BLK LRG OPENING)
TEC PTN0.25WH (TECHFLEX FLEXO PET .25" WHITE); there are plenty of other TechFlex colors from which to choose; I chose white (kinda gray, with the black cable underneath), as I have the white Q701s.

Just did a quick test between the short stock cable and the Redco (AKA, Mogami) cable using a Rockbox'd iPod Classic 160 GB (EQ Off) into a JDS Labs C5 amp (high gain), with Rush's "Beneath, Between & Behind" (most recent regular CD remaster)... hey! it was next on the 9000+ song shuffle! Honest :)  Anyway, the Q701s with 300-400 hours on them totally rock.

The Redco cable is more detailed and seems a wee bit louder. I swear I'm not making that up. I didn't change the volume on the C5 (iPod is using Line Out). Tight as hell. I listened to same song, same volume, etc., on both cables, alternating two times. The detail of the Mogami cable almost had me thinking it was lacking a little low end compared to the stock cable, but after repeatedly listening to the first 20 seconds or so on both, my conclusion is that the Mogami is just tighter and more detailed. Don't hold me to the louder thing, as it's very slight. Maybe I need to break it in, though :wink:

I'm not knocking the funky green stock cable. It sounds fine. But I'm more than happy to have gotten a custom, shorter cable. A couple things to note:

1. The 3.5mm end of the Redco cable is significantly larger than the stock cable's. Still, it fits in the C5, no problem.
  2. The 3.5mm end of the Redco cable will not take the stock 1/4" adapter. Marc at Redco told me they haven't been able to source a threaded 3.5mm plug. So, if you need the 1/4" adapter, plan accordingly. For me, if I ever need it, I'll be fine with the stock cables.
  3. Even though the Mogami is twice(?) as thick, it's still quite supple, even with the TechFlex.

If anyone wants to see side-by-side photos, let me know and I'll up some tomorrow.

HTH.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #3,579 of 9,602
How about these pre-made chinese ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-AKG-Q701-K702-K271s-K240s-Headphone-1-5m-/221265964315?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item33847aad1b

I really love the looks of this one 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Made-AKG-K271-K272-K240-K242-K702-Q701-Headphone-Upgrade-Silver-Cable-/251323204177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8407c251

The latter doesn't look too thick but it sure is pretty, and shorter.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #3,580 of 9,602
Silver would be awful with the Q701. Spend $40 and get a free downgrade to the K701!
I hated silver plated copper with the Q701 also. It felt so crystal clear and more detailed and then I realized I lost some warmth. Why? Not sure.
Everything also sounded so distant sounding..I'll never figure that one out EVER. People always say copper sounds warm
biggrin.gif
Not going to say anything else!

This was back when I had the HRT MSII and now I can't hear almost any difference with cables.
I think the differences I was hearing was only due to the MSII being warm and the different capacitance ratings of the cable and a combination of my headphone, amp and DAC.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #3,581 of 9,602

The Redco cable is more detailed and seems a wee bit louder. I swear I'm not making that up.

Heard this too.
I wish I knew more about things like this. There is a technical reason behind this but I don't remember what it was.
When I used Double Helix wire it requires way less volume from my portable player than with stock cable. This always weirded me out.
When switching cables it's like someone boosted my volume.

I never got this with Mogami though but definitely did with silver platted copper, DHC and some Belden brand wire.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,582 of 9,602
After reading some forums regarding about the 1/8th ratio for amp compatibility, I wonder if the Meier Stepdance 2 amp and a DACport LX setup would be a nice fit for the Q701.  What is your opinion about the sound signature of these devices?  Anyway, I still don't know what to look for when I see the product's technical spec in order to determine the ratio.  :confused:

The 1/8 rule means you ought to buy an amp costing 8x as much as the headphone.
No, just kidding. You generally want the output impedance of an amp to be 1/8th the amount of the headphone impedance. So, the Q701 is 62 Ohms impedance, ideally to get a smooth, expected frequency response you would want an amp with 7 something output ohms or less. Thing is, the AKG headphones have a really linear impedance response (the 1/8th "rule" of thumb is useful for headphones that have different resistance depending on frequency), so it makes very minor difference with the Q701.
ClieOS uses the Meier StepDance 2 (I think it was the 2) as his reference amp, alongside the O2.

I use a Little Dot MK3, which is great after some tube rolling. I've found that Sylvania JAN black plates really do the trick -- a tidbit of warmth, with a great soundstage and balanced lows/mids/highs. I'm sure some other tube amps would work well too. 

I also enjoy my Q701's with a Sylvania JAN 6DJ8 tube in my amp. Different from the little dots, but still, the sound can vary greatly depending on the tube brand and year, I actually prefer my Sylvania JAN over an Amperex bugle boy (microphonics and treble ringing). Tube rolling makes a big difference IMO, without the quality degradation of a digital EQ.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3,583 of 9,602
So guyzzzz... I have an opportunity to buy a pair of used K712 at a good price, but I don't really have issue with my Q701 besides long term comfort (headband bumps) and sometimes the treble glare. Does anybody think $100 is worth the difference between these two models?

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #3,584 of 9,602
  Silver would be awful with the Q701. Spend $40 and get a free downgrade to the K701!
I hated silver plated copper with the Q701 also. It felt so crystal clear and more detailed and then I realized I lost some warmth. Why? Not sure.
Everything also sounded so distant sounding..I'll never figure that one out EVER. People always say copper sounds warm
biggrin.gif
Not going to say anything else!

This was back when I had the HRT MSII and now I can't hear almost any difference with cables.
I think the differences I was hearing was only due to the MSII being warm and the different capacitance ratings of the cable and a combination of my headphone, amp and DAC.

I've read quite a few posts here and there that say silver is brighter, so I'm not surprised by your experience. So copper being "warmer" may just be relative to silver. $40 seems steep to me, but then people seem to like charging a premium for silver. Well, it's the new GOLD after all, inn'it, according to all those TV and radio ads  
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #3,585 of 9,602
Just put an order for JDS ODAC since the batter on my d10 is about to explode, probably be a month + before I get new batteries for it, I can't wait that long!
Anyways, can't wait to see how it sounds with the q701!

I should probably post this in the ibasso threads but FYI: I basso says using while charging has NO PROBLEM whatsoever, don't believe it. Check out this bad boy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back