Q701 impressions thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3,378 of 9,602
Kolapso,
I was thinking about picking up a NuForce icon iDo. Specifically because my whole library is on my iPod 5th gen, and it would be a major pain to get it back on my PC. For the price, did you find the uDAC 2 to be an improvement worth while over computer onboard sound?

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,379 of 9,602
Trying out my Q701 on my new vintage Pioneer SX-750. A little bass boost and it's sounding great. I've also always slightly bass boosted them on the E17 too, so that is nothing new. 

laptop -> USB to Fiio E17 and Fiio L7 line out dock -> Cheap 3.5mm to RCA cable I had laying around -> Pioneer SX-750 -> Q701

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #3,380 of 9,602
Quote:
Trying out my Q701 on my new vintage Pioneer SX-750. A little bass boost and it's sounding great. I've also always slightly bass boosted them on the E17 too, so that is nothing new. 

laptop -> USB to Fiio E17 and Fiio L7 line out dock -> Cheap 3.5mm to RCA cable I had laying around -> Pioneer SX-750 -> Q701

jason jason, what have you got yourself into?  
size]
 vintage pioneer, oh my oh my.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #3,381 of 9,602
Idk what I've gotten into. It sounds good though....

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #3,382 of 9,602
tips on cleaning the Q701 pads ? they are like dust magnet ! really hard to clean it by just swiping with a towl or something, what would you seggest ? also do the Q701 have leather pads ? why there is no 3rd party pads to buy for them ? or i am missing something ? paying 100$ for pads is just almost like buying new headphones What akg ?! lol

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #3,383 of 9,602
Quote:
tips on cleaning the Q701 pads ? they are like dust magnet ! really hard to clean it by just swiping with a towl or something, what would you seggest ? also do the Q701 have leather pads ? why there is no 3rd party pads to buy for them ? or i am missing something ? paying 100$ for pads is just almost like buying new headphones What akg ?! lol

Same as with any other fabric when its full of dust....sellotape.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #3,384 of 9,602
These things sound magical with the Pioneer. Better detail retrieval, better soundstage and imaging, better and more extended bass. They still sound like a Q701, but a bit better with this beastly amp. They sounded good with the E17, but definitely a good 10-15% better with this amp. A real nice improvement for only $40. They sound more analytical and more fun at the same time which I've never experienced at the same time before. More detail and more/better bass.  

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #3,385 of 9,602
Quote:
These things sound magical with the Pioneer. Better detail retrieval, better soundstage and imaging, better and more extended bass. They still sound like a Q701, but a bit better with this beastly amp. They sounded good with the E17, but definitely a good 10-15% better with this amp. A real nice improvement for only $40. They sound more analytical and more fun at the same time which I've never experienced at the same time before. More detail and more/better bass.  

You should try out another source/DAC too just for fun. Some old full sized CD players sound amazing still. I found a Denon DVD-2910 at a thrift shop for just $10. Uses Burr-Brown 1790 DACs. One cheap DAC I think is perfect for the Q701 is the Schiit Modi which uses an AKM dac. I prefer it to the HRT MSII, E17 and ODAC.

Based on my experience, the Q701's imaging and "center image" improves with a better DAC. I've found the soundstage to be a lot smaller on the E17 compared to the Modi. I still love the E17 though for it's price. I use it in my bedroom as a TV amp. It even seems to do fine with my HD-650 somehow.

I have an Onkyo receiver from a few years ago and never tried it with the Q701. Think it uses a Wolfson DAC, but not sure. TX-SR605, It's been collecting dust ever since I moved into an apartment. I only bought it because at the time it was the only budget receiver that decoded TrueHD.

I've also found that my Sony S580 blu-ray player sounds amazing as a source for the Q701. It's pretty warm too. I believe it also uses an AKM chipset but it's warmer than the Modi. Strangely my Oppo DVD player sounds the worst yet everyone says it's one of the best.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3,386 of 9,602
I'm happy with the E17 for now. I do like the idea of a full size CD player, but most of my music is 256k AAC or 320k MP3 either from itunes or MOG. So it doesn't make sense for me. Maybe eventually I'll invest in a better stand alone DAC, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make either since I'm not listening to lossless.  
Quote:
You should try out another source/DAC too just for fun. Some old full sized CD players sound amazing still. I found a Denon DVD-2910 at a thrift shop for just $10. Uses Burr-Brown 1790 DACs. One cheap DAC I think is perfect for the Q701 is the Schiit Modi which uses an AKM dac. I prefer it to the HRT MSII, E17 and ODAC.

Based on my experience, the Q701's imaging and "center image" improves with a better DAC. I've found the soundstage to be a lot smaller on the E17 compared to the Modi. I still love the E17 though for it's price. I use it in my bedroom as a TV amp. It even seems to do fine with my HD-650 somehow.

I have an Onkyo receiver from a few years ago and never tried it with the Q701. Think it uses a Wolfson DAC, but not sure. TX-SR605, It's been collecting dust ever since I moved into an apartment. I only bought it because at the time it was the only budget receiver that decoded TrueHD.

I've also found that my Sony S580 blu-ray player sounds amazing as a source for the Q701. It's pretty warm too. I believe it also uses an AKM chipset but it's warmer than the Modi. Strangely my Oppo DVD player sounds the worst yet everyone says it's one of the best.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #3,387 of 9,602
jason jason, what have you got yourself into?  
size]

vintage pioneer, oh my oh my.

I'm happy with the E17 for now. I do like the idea of a full size CD player, but most of my music is 256k AAC or 320k MP3 either from itunes or MOG. So it doesn't make sense for me. Maybe eventually I'll invest in a better stand alone DAC, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make either since I'm not listening to lossless.  

I've often considered picking up one of the launch Playstations, they're fabled to have great CD players that sound amazing till the laser stops reading right.

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3,388 of 9,602
Sounds interesting. I have a Q701 that I haven't been able to use with onboard audio (can't get the headphones loud enough) and I have a Sony CFD-S05 lying around. Think it would be worth trying out?

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #3,389 of 9,602
Quote:

Jasonb,  I still love the E17/E9K combo so I moved them to work.  I just got a new DAC (TEAC 501) to run with the Emotiva at home.  It's quite a difference in the positive direction even with 256, 320k MP3 which, like you, I happen to have a lot in my music collection.  I find it less of a difference with lossless source as far as improvement in SQ.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,390 of 9,602
What is the Teac 501? I've never heard of it? Where and how much $?
Quote:
Jasonb,  I still love the E17/E9K combo so I moved them to work.  I just got a new DAC (TEAC 501) to run with the Emotiva at home.  It's quite a difference in the positive direction even with 256, 320k MP3 which, like you, I happen to have a lot in my music collection.  I find it less of a difference with lossless source as far as improvement in SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back