Q701 impressions thread
Jul 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #3,361 of 9,602
Quote:
I have both the Q701 and the HD800. The Sennheiser is certainly better, but on many recordings I still prefer the AKG. I recently purchased the new AKG K712 pro, and I prefer it now over the Q701. The Q is an excellent performer, but the 712 adds a little more bass, while retaining the wide open and detailed sound these cans are known for. The 712 also has a flat leather headband that does away with the head bumps on the previous versions, as well as a redesigned ear pads. All in all I think they sound better than the Q and they are more comfortable to wear. I had a hard time finding these in the US, but thanks to a post here on headfi, I found them online from razor dog for $399.00.

I ended up cutting those bumps off of my Q701 because they were causing problems on long listening sessions. I thought about buying the memory foam pads from the 712 to try on my 701 because from what I've heard, the driver is the same and that's all they did to get the new sound. Not sure if there is any truth to that. I don't want to pay $80 plus shipping for pads though.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #3,362 of 9,602
I have not heard the Anniversary 702. In comparing the Q701 to the 712, they both sound good. The Q really shines on classical and acoustic jazz. They do seem to have a slightly wider soundstage than the 712, but the 712 has the edge with the bass and slightly fuller sound. On piano trio jazz recordings, I like the 712 over the HD800. Same thing on classical chamber music. It all depends on the recording. Something's sometimes sound better on one or the other.

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #3,367 of 9,602
Could somebody please explain why the K702 costs $120 more than the Q701 when apparently they're very similar?

Nope I can't really explain, but AKG might be able to.

It's all marketing at the end of the day - pitching the headphones at a price the market will accept. The Q's may be frowned upon by HIFI purists due to the Quincy Jones tie in, on the other hand the K's are likely to appeal to the purist.

In short only a fool and a HIFI enthusiast are soon parted with their money. Although in the case of the HIFI enthusiast it tends to be a lot more money.

Damn it - I've explained.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,368 of 9,602
Well after chasing the holy grail,I have to agree with you to a large degree. How we each hear sound is somewhat different. Then when you mix in other factors, such as source, amp, quality of recording, personal preferences,etc ect, it becomes hard to actually weigh people's opinions. Same thing with loudspeakers, all very subjective. No single headphone is the be all, end all in sound quality. But many cans provide excellent sound quality within their sound parameters. Every enthusiast would do well to remember the law of diminishing returns is very applicable in the realm of audio. I should know, I chased nirvana all the way to the LCD3 and didn't find it.

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #3,369 of 9,602
Well after chasing the holy grail,I have to agree with you to a large degree. How we each hear sound is somewhat different. Then when you mix in other factors, such as source, amp, quality of recording, personal preferences,etc ect, it becomes hard to actually weigh people's opinions. Same thing with loudspeakers, all very subjective. No single headphone is the be all, end all in sound quality. But many cans provide excellent sound quality within their sound parameters. Every enthusiast would do well to remember the law of diminishing returns is very applicable in the realm of audio. I should know, I chased nirvana all the way to the LCD3 and didn't find it.

Hmmmmmm............have you tried the Stax SRS-2170?
If you like the Q701 sound but are looking for an upgrade path, that may be the way to go.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #3,371 of 9,602
I've got an answer from an AKG rep regarding differences between K702 (regular and flat headband version), Q701, K702 65th, and K712. I'll list this on the various appreciation threads because I think it may be interesting to some. AKG answers in blue. 

"I'm confused by the differences in the above four headphones. There are also currently two versions of the K702 on ebay, as well, one with a flat headband and one with the bumpy headband. I have a bunch of questions! 

Do any of the above sound identical?

[size=11pt]Yes, acoustically they are both identical…same capsule on both[/size]

Is there a sonic difference between the K712 and the K702 65th Anninversary? [size=11pt]Yes, they both have different capsules.[/size]
They look a lot alike, besides color. Do they have the same, memory foam ear pads? [size=11pt]Yes, same ear pads[/size]

Is there a sonic difference between the K702 and the K712? [size=11pt]Yes, different capsules on both.[/size]
Since the K702 now has a flat headband, there seems to be less differences. Do they use different earpads? [size=11pt]Yes, they both have different ear pads.[/size]
Is the bass the same or is it increased on the K712? [size=11pt]Bass is the same, down to 10Hz[/size]

I can't figure out how the Q701 relates to the above others. What is different about the Q701, besides color? [size=11pt]Capsule is the same as the K702 but not the K712, other than that, the appearance in material is the difference."[/size]

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #3,372 of 9,602
first of all i want to thank everyone here that are helping me! thanks a lot and i really appriciate your time and help. (jimmers thanks for the advice and brooker thanks for the info!)
as for burn in, i dunno if its you getting used to it or its a scientific fact, but yes the Q701 sounds really really good. special with acoustic musics they make you cry.

i dont consider my self as a "high end" audiophile, but i do like perfection in sound for the cost and value.

in israel i think that the V is around 230-240V so the "europe nation" electricity adapter should work just fine, however i dunno if for more then 100$ i will benefit more then buying dunno... something else. also i dont know if "DAC" is needed since i want to use the headphones for PC Games as well and im not sure dac support all the "fency" gaming serround headphone sound and stuff.

i just finished my degree and im not loaded with money :) i would like to get an honest opinion from someone who had simple amp and then bought something like what you guys recommended for me and tell me if the quality changed dramatically.. and well worth the 100$ (think about it from my POV since i am not a super duper audiophile, a small change will not justify this purchase for me)

also was wondering what do you think about the XONAR DG as soundcard and as a change for buying a DAC ?  it cost around 60$ in israel (thats the cheapest option :\ ) 

again thanks a lot for all the help :) :) :) 

BTW as for the article, i dunno if the K701 and Q701 are the same, ppl tend to say that they are but not based on their own expreience when i first bought the Q701 everyone told me they have no bass and sound boring, but the Q701 have a very good and "life like" bass and sounds really really musical fun and accurate... so i guess AKG might have changed something there not just stampped quincy jones and that it... maybe they changed the waveform or something

still considering jimmers "
E7 Black bird SR-71A XP4"  but i cant find any review on this product online :frowning2:

Demontux, you need to sort things out a little in your head :)

First, for gaming sounds you would hardly get any major improvement by using a dedicated headphone DAC/amp. If you already have a decent soundcard in your pc, supporting all the fancy stuff like EAX, dolby headphones etc, then use it!

Second, for music listening: do you want it portable or not? Xonar DG is simply not a substitute for things like FiiO products because you can't take a pciE card on the go:wink:

If portable, what is your source?

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3,374 of 9,602
some updates:
I bought today the Asus Xonar Essnece STX as my source + amp for my Q701.

i just have to say one thing. the amp is really really good. i mean... seriously. it does a really good job, make the headphone sound full and richer... i put it on the high gain 64 - 300
but if i put it on the 300-600 it sound better, but i am afraid it might damage my headphones since they are 64ohms.. so i dunno.

but anyway, who ever need a good amp and soundcard, i guess you cant go wrong with the STX. does a really good job, i guess it might not qualify for those who has the money to pay for 3000$ amp... but for guys like me who want high quality audio and sound experience the STX provide an amazing solution and the Q701 just shine with it...

just was wondering if using the "EXTRA HIGH GAIN" on the xonar will damage the headphones ? (i need to put volume really low but they sound more full)
if an expert can clarify that i would love that.

thanks,

anyway good purchase. just have to warn you that asus driver sucks ass for this class of sound card, the lack of custom settings and preset for headphones and Speakers can get you nuts, other than that... really good card and added value for the Q701. you dont need really need expenssive amp to enjoy the Q701.. only if money is not an option for you.. but for those who wonder, just go and buy it. it is really that good. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #3,375 of 9,602
Quote:

just was wondering if using the "EXTRA HIGH GAIN" on the xonar will damage the headphones ? (i need to put volume really low but they sound more full)
if an expert can clarify that i would love that.

thanks,

Good to see a happy user!
Regarding damaging the headphone by the amplifier - it can happend for two reasons:
- Too much volume for extended period of time. The sound would be very distorted and just too loud for listening, so rather unlikely it will happen while listening.
- Broken amplifier. It is possible that a broken capacitor on the output will let the DC through and overheat the coils. The problem is you may not hear it happen, but luckily this is a rather rare thing.
So in other words: don't worry about the gain setting - pick the one you like most, but keep the headphones on your head when they are connected to the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back