Q701 impressions thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3,316 of 9,602
thanks :) i already bought them and enjoying them, i use them through the PANASONIC SA-CH350, yet, i have not found the "perfect" amp for my needs and budget.
its feels like a little gray area where there is no right or wrong, maybe more of personal taste, i was just wondering why amp cost so much for such a simple task, 
for 100$ you can get another pair of headphones or speakers, but still if i will benefit from that, that much, i am willing to buy an amp =] yet hard to find any source or "one" good amp unbeatable for the budget :frowning2: this makes me very confused.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3,317 of 9,602
Demontux,
I started with Xonar Essence STX, so can't really comment about DG.
If you are happy with what you have at the moment save and make a worthwhile upgrade later, alternatively find a friendly electronics enthusiast - you can build BCL clone, J L Hood class A etc for around $50 + case or even 5532 via volume control driving parallel 5532s (a sort of easy-peasy O2 desktop).
Anyhow. enjoy.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #3,318 of 9,602
hey jimmers, thanks again for your quick and helpful response

you mentioned the xonar STX, do you think that might be a good sound card to start with ? i think i was reading about it having a good headphone amp inside of it, dunno it its true or not but maybe you could provide more details about this card? considering doing just one purchase of a card in this grade and skipping buying an amp (since my onboard soundcard is a crap and the mic boost dont work good)

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,319 of 9,602
Demontux,
There are many very comprehensive reviews of the ST/STX on the web, from gamers through to Stereophile.
The headphone amp design is very similar to FiiO E9, I believe, and many people here seem to rate the E9.
I, and many others consider it just about the best value computer audio solution available; not only do you have a good DAC, but you also have a good ADC if you wish to digitise an analog source or do audio testing.
I would have suggested it earlier but here it's above the $100 you mentioned at the start.
You can also go further by replacing the op amps with LM4562 all round if you feel the need.
Unreserved recommendation from me.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #3,320 of 9,602
I'm was running my Q701's out of the stx and it sounded really good. Changed the gain to medium settings to get a bit more volume, but the sound (to my ears) was very very clear. Currently added a vintage amp from the stx for a bit of a fuller sound, but its not night and day at all. The stx is also great in that it takes up no space as its just a sound card. 

If in the future you decide you want a better amp, you can use the dac in the stx from the rca outs to whatever amp you get. IMO a great buy for a first amp/dac.

@Stalker81598 

Whats your opinion of the he500 vs hd800? i know there's lots of threads on this stuff, but i'm curious. I love the clarity of the q701 and dont want to lose out on it, but i dont really want to have to spend $1500+ on an amp for the hd800 unless its REALLY worth it. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3,321 of 9,602
Quote:
Demontux,
I could live with Q701 pugged straight into a source, still good, but with good amping the sound feels more spacious, distinct, and the power of bass and mids (not necessarily louder) makes it more fun. Your personal value may vary from mine, but things sound flat and dull when I go back to plugging my Q701 back into my iPod's headphone jack, so much so that unamped I tend to reach for a different headphone (but prefer Q701 + amp).

That's one of the more honest answers I've seen regarding the Q701.  I agree 100%.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3,322 of 9,602
Quote:

The presentation of the HD800 is similar in regards to frequency response but far more refined in every aspect. I find the Q701 a bit grainy and sibilant compared to the HD800. The 701's treble peak is much higher. Soundstage and imaging on the HD800 is second to none. Both are similar in regards to soundstage size but the 800's positioning is much more coherent. When switching directly from the HD800 to the Q701, it sounds artificial and metallic. The HD800 is the most natural and transparent headphone I have ever heard.

Overall they are similar in many ways but the HD800 is technically far superior. The differences are not subtle.

You just have to cost me $$$$, don't you?
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3,323 of 9,602
Quote:
I'm was running my Q701's out of the stx and it sounded really good. Changed the gain to medium settings to get a bit more volume, but the sound (to my ears) was very very clear. Currently added a vintage amp from the stx for a bit of a fuller sound, but its not night and day at all. The stx is also great in that it takes up no space as its just a sound card. 

If in the future you decide you want a better amp, you can use the dac in the stx from the rca outs to whatever amp you get. IMO a great buy for a first amp/dac.

@Stalker81598 

Whats your opinion of the he500 vs hd800? i know there's lots of threads on this stuff, but i'm curious. I love the clarity of the q701 and dont want to lose out on it, but i dont really want to have to spend $1500+ on an amp for the hd800 unless its REALLY worth it. 

HE-500 and HD800 are different beasts. One's weaknesses are the other's strengths. The HD800 has a fantastic soundstage with clear and precise imaging and amazing detail. It is very natural sounding and is probably as close to live that I have ever heard in a headphone. The HE-500 has a wonderfully textured bass that hits hard, a warm and liquid-like midrange and smooth treble. Its soundstage is smaller and more intimate. It is more forgiving of lower quality recordings and compression but does not lack in detail, even if it isn't quite as good as the HD800 for detail retrieval. HE-500 is a bit on the heavy side while HD800 is lightweight and has massive earcups that won't touch your ears.

There is no question that the HD800 is technically superior but overall I prefer the HE-500. I just don't feel the music with the HD800 the same way I do with the HE-500. It has that toe-tapping, head-bobbing, fun sound that I love. Vocals are incredible on the HE-500. It has probably the best midrange of any cans I've heard. If I could keep only one, it would definitely be the HE-500, but everyone's tastes are different. The best thing would be to try both for yourself and decide which you prefer.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,324 of 9,602
Quote:

@Stalker81598 

I also have read a lot about this.  I ended up getting HE500 first but still ponder about HD800.  If I will get the HD800, I would give the Q701 to my son.  He was asking for a pair of Beats not long ago.
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #3,325 of 9,602
yes its more expenssive, and i bet hell more expenssive in israel, but considering that i do need a new sound card anyway since im not happy with the way it handles my microphone in (very low voulume) and overall the onboard soundcard is far from being good. so i thought buying the asus XONAR DG and an amp, but one stop sulotion might be very good for me.

although i have done reading saying that the DG on a blind listening test sounded better then the STX... so i was wondering if asus is doing a marketing trick or not.
also i am not a sound editor or something,do you know somewehre i can buy second hand maybe or the asus STX for cheap ?

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #3,326 of 9,602
Quote:

HE-500 and HD800 are different beasts. One's weaknesses are the other's strengths. The HD800 has a fantastic soundstage with clear and precise imaging and amazing detail. It is very natural sounding and is probably as close to live that I have ever heard in a headphone. The HE-500 has a wonderfully textured bass that hits hard, a warm and liquid-like midrange and smooth treble. Its soundstage is smaller and more intimate. It is more forgiving of lower quality recordings and compression but does not lack in detail, even if it isn't quite as good as the HD800 for detail retrieval. HE-500 is a bit on the heavy side while HD800 is lightweight and has massive earcups that won't touch your ears.

There is no question that the HD800 is technically superior but overall I prefer the HE-500. I just don't feel the music with the HD800 the same way I do with the HE-500. It has that toe-tapping, head-bobbing, fun sound that I love. Vocals are incredible on the HE-500. It has probably the best midrange of any cans I've heard. If I could keep only one, it would definitely be the HE-500, but everyone's tastes are different. The best thing would be to try both for yourself and decide which you prefer.

Our feelings are 100% mutual.  After a few beers, I often end up with the HE500 over my Q701, not because I don't my Q701 but cuz of the reasons you mentioned.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #3,327 of 9,602
Quote:
yes its more expenssive, and i bet hell more expenssive in israel, but considering that i do need a new sound card anyway since im not happy with the way it handles my microphone in (very low voulume) and overall the onboard soundcard is far from being good. so i thought buying the asus XONAR DG and an amp, but one stop sulotion might be very good for me.

although i have done reading saying that the DG on a blind listening test sounded better then the STX... so i was wondering if asus is doing a marketing trick or not.
also i am not a sound editor or something,do you know somewehre i can buy second hand maybe or the asus STX for cheap ?

So just get a DG.
Or read Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Best cheap sound card with headphone amp?

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,328 of 9,602
Quote:
Our feelings are 100% mutual.  After a few beers, I often end up with the HE500 over my Q701, not because I don't my Q701 but cuz of the reasons you mentioned.

I was hoping to get the same feeling from a 2nd pair of headphones as i mentioned before. I was leaning towards the Phillips x1.. but i dunno.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #3,329 of 9,602
Quote:
I was hoping to get the same feeling from a 2nd pair of headphones as i mentioned before. I was leaning towards the Phillips x1.. but i dunno.

1-MiC, if you can afford the HE500, I strongly recommend it.  I still have the Q701 and listen to it at work daily.  I was in your situation a few weeks back thinking between HE500, HD800, LCD2.
Tested out the LCD2, great sound but a touch thin for my taste.  For the price, HE500 is quite amazing overall.  I will check out HD800 next month.  If it's really that great over the Q701, I might end up buying it the next day and sell the Q701.  Bottom line, I did not regret going for HE500 1 bit.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #3,330 of 9,602
Quote:
1-MiC, if you can afford the HE500, I strongly recommend it.  I still have the Q701 and listen to it at work daily.  I was in your situation a few weeks back thinking between HE500, HD800, LCD2.
Tested out the LCD2, great sound but a touch thin for my taste.  For the price, HE500 is quite amazing overall.  I will check out HD800 next month.  If it's really that great over the Q701, I might end up buying it the next day and sell the Q701.  Bottom line, I did not regret going for HE500 1 bit.

+1

HE-500 is a great step up and far outclasses its price point. Just make sure you get an amp powerful enough to drive it. Planar magnetic headphones need a lot of current.

I went to a store to listen to the HD800, just out of curiosity and I ended up walking out the door with it. It is incredibly natural sounding and the soundstage is amazing. Still prefer my HE-500 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back