Q701 impressions thread
Jun 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #3,197 of 9,602
My modded T50rp does that for sure. The imaging of the T50rp is quite spectacular. Soundstage width isn't terrible, but not as wide and open as the Q701. The depth and pinpoint imaging make up for it though, and the sub-bass extension too.   
Quote:
In the same boat here. I'm looking to try some closed cans, to really get the "recorded in a dark studio" effect rather than the open soundstage of the Q701s. I'm thinking Logitech UE6000.

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #3,198 of 9,602
Quote:
New guy here showing appreciation for my only decent headphones so far, the Q701!  Love these so far.  I'm waiting on an Objective2 in the mail to power them, but the internals of my laptop make them sound great as well.  Perfect for jazz, trippy hip-hop production, and Bioshock.  Currently seeking recommendations for a really creepy ass, atmospheric game to try them out with.  

Mass Effect 3  <- IMO the best sounding game I've ever played.  Not really 'creepy' but sound design definitely done by professionals, both the ambient music and the sound effects are first rate.  Such as the reaper horn before they fire and when your shields fail it literally kicks you in the ass if you are wearing these headphones.  I won't even ruin the Banshee shriek for you......Good times.    But the ultimate pinnacle of human sound design achievement is the gunfire sound of the M-99 Saber.  If there is a more satisfying gun to shoot, I don't know of it.  Behold:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE-rLUUNEYU    I fell in love with this game precisely because of using the q701's throughout the whole thing.

The creepiest game?  I'd really have to say Silent Hill 2.  The game's graphics are dated as heck but I can't remember a creepier game experience because of the sound design.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbvksc9iiKg

Great review of the game here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jbhCOCdHUw

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3,199 of 9,602
Mass Effect 3  <- IMO the best sounding game I've ever played.  Not really 'creepy' but sound design definitely done by professionals, both the ambient music and the sound effects are first rate.  Such as the reaper horn before they fire and when your shields fail it literally kicks you in the ass if you are wearing these headphones.  I won't even ruin the Banshee shriek for you......Good times.    But the ultimate pinnacle of human sound design achievement is the gunfire sound of the M-99 Saber.  If there is a more satisfying gun to shoot, I don't know of it.  Behold:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE-rLUUNEYU
    I fell in love with this game precisely because of using the q701's throughout the whole thing.

The creepiest game?  I'd really have to say Silent Hill 2.  The game's graphics are dated as heck but I can't remember a creepier game experience because of the sound design.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbvksc9iiKg

I live just outside of Silent Hill.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #3,200 of 9,602
Quote:

Mass Effect 3  <- IMO the best sounding game I've ever played.  Not really 'creepy' but sound design definitely done by professionals, both the ambient music and the sound effects are first rate.  Such as the reaper horn before they fire and when your shields fail it literally kicks you in the ass if you are wearing these headphones.  I won't even ruin the Banshee shriek for you......Good times.    But the ultimate pinnacle of human sound design achievement is the gunfire sound of the M-99 Saber.  If there is a more satisfying gun to shoot, I don't know of it.  Behold:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE-rLUUNEYU    I fell in love with this game precisely because of using the q701's throughout the whole thing.

ME3 sound good, but IMHO Battlefield 3 sounds far better. Its the ultimate "you're there" experience, the explosions in distance sound as real as in real life, and they nailed the soundstage, it really is truly 3-dimensional and huge. Really high quality sound of weapons as well, and unlike in other games, where weapons are as loud as footsteps, in BF3 weapons are REALLY REALLY loud, and they really pack a punch.  I mean, sometimes I scare myself when I leave the volume too high up, its just amazing how much punch and power there is to the sound on even just a 9mm handgun, closest to real life that I've tried yet in a game.  ARMA2 has really good sounds as well.  When it comes to other games, I love the iRacing sounds.  Apart from being by far the best racing simulator, sounds in that game are stunning. They are recorded precisely, and the amount of nuance in the sound, reaction of sound to each degree of throttle input, is just amazing.   Its funny how the most amazing sonic experiences with high quality headphones come from games, not music or movies as you'd expect. Sometimes I feel like certain game developers put more thought into sound quality than many recording studios.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #3,201 of 9,602
I know this is a bit off-topic, but the HE-400 has been on my radar for about forever. The graphs of it look ugly but I never go by graphs at all, especially since my DJ100 has a huge dip in the upper mids and actually has FORWARD upper mids.

Do female vocals on the HE-400 ever sound distant or recessed? If so I would definitely pass.

Female vocals definitely stood out as being recessed, it was obvious on the first listen and merely became tolerable after a few days of listening, sounded best on my amp with a tube that emphasizes mids. It's not a terrible headphone, but definitely colored, and I don't think it would be a great fit for you.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3,202 of 9,602
Quote:
In the same boat here. I'm looking to try some closed cans, to really get the "recorded in a dark studio" effect rather than the open soundstage of the Q701s. I'm thinking Logitech UE6000.

Have you thought about giving the K550s a try? I know that they are "closed Q701s" but I think that is what you are looking for. I just got them for portable use and stuffed the pads with cotton effectively making the seal better and bringing the driver further from the ear. They now have an incredible soundstage for closed headphones while not sacrificing the bass impact and quickness of the headphones. Totally worth a look IMO!

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,203 of 9,602
Quote:
Have you thought about giving the K550s a try? I know that they are "closed Q701s" but I think that is what you are looking for. I just got them for portable use and stuffed the pads with cotton effectively making the seal better and bringing the driver further from the ear. They now have an incredible soundstage for closed headphones while not sacrificing the bass impact and quickness of the headphones. Totally worth a look IMO!

I didn't think the K550 sound anything like a closed Q701. It was closer to the old K702 I had, but less warm. My problem with the K550 is that it had thin mids, but it did have good bass. Based on memory, a little more than the Q701 perhaps. The K550 for whatever reason didn't sound as clear as my KRKs or DJ100 but I didn't give it 1000 hours of burn-in. I disliked it enough to get rid of it immediately. It's just not for me and some people would like it. I bet fans of classical music that require a closed headphone would love it.

I think for me it might be OK for gaming if I need a closed headphone that had a really good soundstage. The K550 also seemed quite comfortable.

Oh BTW the mids of the K550 reminded me of those of the DT-880 for some reason.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #3,204 of 9,602
Quote:

ME3 sound good, but IMHO Battlefield 3 sounds far better. Its the ultimate "you're there" experience, the explosions in distance sound as real as in real life, and they nailed the soundstage, it really is truly 3-dimensional and huge. Really high quality sound of weapons as well, and unlike in other games, where weapons are as loud as footsteps, in BF3 weapons are REALLY REALLY loud, and they really pack a punch.  I mean, sometimes I scare myself when I leave the volume too high up, its just amazing how much punch and power there is to the sound on even just a 9mm handgun, closest to real life that I've tried yet in a game.  ARMA2 has really good sounds as well.  When it comes to other games, I love the iRacing sounds.  Apart from being by far the best racing simulator, sounds in that game are stunning. They are recorded precisely, and the amount of nuance in the sound, reaction of sound to each degree of throttle input, is just amazing.   Its funny how the most amazing sonic experiences with high quality headphones come from games, not music or movies as you'd expect. Sometimes I feel like certain game developers put more thought into sound quality than many recording studios.

I've played alot of BF3 with my Q's, i actually use Senn HD518's now but your right about the gunshots/explosions. The first time i hooked up my amp and headphones to the ps3 i was blown away.. Literally i went 0-25 (Jk). I like the sound loud but god some of those explosions made me have to turn it down.. i like the senns because they're not as harsh, but i do miss the Q's. I really only added the Senns because i was ashamed that i was using my Q's more for gaming then for music.

Also thank you / damn you! guys for the suggestions. I should have went to the austin meet to try and sample these other headphones... I need to stay off this site for a while and just enjoy my Q's lol. DT880 /HE-400/HE-500/HD-600/  all on the radar.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #3,205 of 9,602
Quote:
Also thank you / damn you! guys for the suggestions. I should have went to the austin meet to try and sample these other headphones... I need to stay off this site for a while and just enjoy my Q's lol. DT880 /HE-400/HE-500/HD-600/  all on the radar.

Ever since I got my HE-500, my Q's only get used for gaming and movies.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #3,206 of 9,602
I've been wearing myself out trying to compare these 2 amps and which one i like better with my Q701's!

Eventually i decided i enjoy the M-Stage a little more, for its sound signature.

The Fournier is great, and i was really pleased with it. I've never had a tube amp so i can't tell you how much tube flavor it's giving you, or compare it to anything but the matrix. That being said, It stacks up well but just isn't quite as good. It presented the low-end better actually, a little punchier and nice sub-bass extension . It was actually the most noticeable difference to me. The treble was also a little more aggressive i guess. I knew the matrix was described as 'dark' which held true because the Fournier seemed to be brighter. It was odd because comparatively it gave me the sense that the Fournier was giving me a V-shaped sound, and i wasn't looking for that. Realistically i just really enjoy the dark sound of the M-stage and the fact that it's just a little bit better as far as accuracy/soundstage/details are concerned. Like i said the Fournier really stacks up well, the matrix just seems to be exactly what Q's were waiting for. A very pleasing, gentle sound that maintains all the accuracy and details the Q's are able to offer. 

I believe i'll be keeping the Fournier around to compare with once i decide on a second main set of headphones. It seems like it would pair great with a pair of headphones that isn't as aggressive sounding. Or maybe the m-stage is all i need lol, i guess i have to spend a little more money to find out.

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #3,207 of 9,602
I need to buy an amp for these things! I'm torn between portable with the E12 and the desktop with the Schiit Magni. Can anybody give me any advice on which one to get? All help is appreciated!

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #3,208 of 9,602
Quote:
I need to buy an amp for these things! I'm torn between portable with the E12 and the desktop with the Schiit Magni. Can anybody give me any advice on which one to get? All help is appreciated!

I have a Magni and in my opinion it makes the Q701 sound very cold and harsh. It is a very neutral amp and does not pair well with the analytical sound of the 701. I have not heard the E12 but others have said it has a slightly warmer tone, similar to the E9. It may be a better choice.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #3,209 of 9,602
Quote:

I have a Magni and in my opinion it makes the Q701 sound very cold and harsh. It is a very neutral amp and does not pair well with the analytical sound of the 701. I have not heard the E12 but others have said it has a slightly warmer tone, similar to the E9. It may be a better choice.

Wow this is news to me, because people say that the Q701 and Magni have great synergy, but I don't know as I have never heard them. Now I'm leaning slightly toward the E12.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #3,210 of 9,602
Quote:
Wow this is news to me, because people say that the Q701 and Magni have great synergy, but I don't know as I have never heard them. Now I'm leaning slightly toward the E12.

A lot of people go with the Magni because the Q701 needs a somewhat powerful amp, and Magni is probably the most powerful amp you can get at its price point. However, power isn't everything. IMO, Q701 needs an amp that is on the warmer side of neutral, otherwise it sounds very thin and piercing. Magni is neutral and very transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back