Q701 impressions thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #3,091 of 9,602
I have been playing with my new Q701s that is being powered by a Soundblaster ZxR for a week now. While playing COD (Blops2) I am finding that my Q701's sound better when the ZxR's integrated headphone amp setting is swithced to high gain (600 ohms) instead if low gain (32/300 ohms). Since the Q701 is only 62 ohms I am a bit concerned that I might damage them. Volume is not an issue because I have not been able to go above 40% while on low gain setting and 30% on the high gain setting. I wan to know if this is normal for the Q701 and if it is safe to keep using the high gain setting.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,092 of 9,602
I have been playing with my new Q701s that is being powered by a Soundblaster ZxR for a week now. While playing COD (Blops2) I am finding that my Q701's sound better when the ZxR's integrated headphone amp setting is swithced to high gain (600 ohms) instead if low gain (32/300 ohms). Since the Q701 is only 62 ohms I am a bit concerned that I might damage them. Volume is not an issue because I have not been able to go above 40% while on low gain setting and 30% on the high gain setting. I wan to know if this is normal for the Q701 and if it is safe to keep using the high gain setting.

If it doesn't sound distorted then it's OK! I've tried my Matrix M Stage on various gain settings: 0 dB, 10 dB and 20 dB. No problems as long as I turn the volume up and down to compensate for gain. My preference in the M Satge is 10 dB of gain.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #3,093 of 9,602
My Schiit Magni arrived yesterday, let's see how it works with my lovely Q701, of course on bit how I tested , I liked it

I've been used my Q701 on a Xonar DGX (HiFi Mode and GX Mode)

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #3,094 of 9,602
I got my E17 in and think i'll probably keep it. I do somewhat wish I just had gotten the E9k though. Figured i'd post some impressions since it's all with the Q701 only so far.
I only listened to it as a DAC+Amp for 10 minutes. Sounds pretty good but can't really say much else yet.

I'm using it mainly as a backup DAC with L7. First thing I noticed is that it's slightly warmer and fuller sounding than the Modi. Now this doesn't mean it's better than the Modi, just with some nice coloration and that's OK. Still flat though. I'd say the E17 is obviously more musical in most cases (for me). The soundstage on the E17 is a lot smaller and less airy and the sound not as clear (or so it seems). I usually get this when something is warmer sounding.

The mids of the Modi sound more flat and almost relaxed in comparison. Really harsh, bright and annoying Jpop sounds noticeably worse on the E17. It's not too bad though. To me the Modi sounds perfectly flat to my ears (again, I know they both measure flat, but often sometimes things sound differently).

The bass sounds a bit better on the E17 for some reason. It just sounds not as present on the Modi. Probably impossible.

My amp has two inputs so I can match the volume and switch between the Modi and E17. Sometimes I actually think i'm listening to the Modi and then realize it's actually the E17. There's not anything that jumps out at me that's like a night and day difference. The differences are greater than the ODAC vs Modi though.

The reason I wanted the E17 is that I'm a huge fan of my first Ipod. It's the Classic 3G with monochrome screen. Sounds amazing and has just a touch of warm. It uses a Wolfson DAC too and this sounds like that Ipod on steroids almost. The warmth (so far) isn't enough to ruin any headphone. Maybe some don't think the E17 is warm at all. It definitely is compared to the ODAC, Modi and my Ipod Touch 2G. I think the HRT MSII might be slightly warmer though.

Modi sounds better overall, but the E17 is pretty nice so far. I'll not know for sure until I try all my headphones with it. My Q701 actually isn't as good as my DJ100 and HD-650 for hearing the differences between equipment
confused_face_2.gif

To me the E17 definitely sounds better as a DAC than the E10 I had. Not sure how or why this is.

Luckily this sounds exactly like I expected! That almost never happens for me.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3,095 of 9,602
Hey there,

Do you guys have any amp+dac recommendation for Q701? My budget is 600$, source is PC. By the way, I heard that Q701 greatly benefits from balanced use, so you might want to consider that.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #3,098 of 9,602
Jun 8, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #3,099 of 9,602
Jun 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #3,100 of 9,602
Quote:

+1

That guy is obviously just trolling!
Either that, or a Beats fan.

Not necessarily. I don't think the Q701 has a bass "problem" but it is a bit lean. I can't seem to enjoy it without some modest use of an equalizer. After tuning it properly, it's one of my favorite headphones.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,102 of 9,602
I too am a new owner of a set of Q701 and I have to agree that I find them bass "light" for a better term. Being a bass player, there are a number of interpretations I can assume to what the bass should sound like on a particular recording. There is no way I would know what the bass player, sound engineer or producer was trying to convey but I feel they have great detail but lack a fullness that I try to achieve when playing my bass. If I add a little eq to certain songs, they suit me very well.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3,103 of 9,602
I also found that using EQ to "shelf" cut the higher frequencies exposed the (excellent quality) bass and brought the Q701 back into balance.  It no longer sounds thin or lacks punch.  I also had to slightly reduce the 2 khz peak by about 2 dB and boost 12-16 khz a few dB to add some sparkle up top for my aging ears.

I have never had an audio product that didn't need some kind of EQ to get the sound I like, though.  Trying every headphone in existence just so I don't have to EQ would be a ridiculous luxury I wouldn't mind having  :)

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #3,105 of 9,602
Not necessarily. I don't think the Q701 has a bass "problem" but it is a bit lean. I can't seem to enjoy it without some modest use of an equalizer. After tuning it properly, it's one of my favorite headphones.

No, he's trolling, he doesn't participate in the thread.
Just thread craps and leaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back