Q701 impressions thread
Apr 16, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2,866 of 9,602
i gave up on the Q701s, had a bass rattle on the right cup so had them replaced only to find my new pair had the same rattle on the left cup. Looking for an alternative now. If it wasn't for that rattle i would have had no complaints what so ever. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #2,867 of 9,602
Quote:
Has anyone had these and the SR60s or Sr80s etc.? Could anyone compare them for me? thanks.

SR80:  Smaller soundstage, more forward/initimate, more treble and more sparkly & grainy, less mids

Q701:  Bigger soundstage and much more laid back, better center image and depth, smoother sounding, fuller mids, bass is similar but Q701 has a bit more.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #2,868 of 9,602
Quote:
i gave up on the Q701s, had a bass rattle on the right cup so had them replaced only to find my new pair had the same rattle on the left cup. Looking for an alternative now. If it wasn't for that rattle i would have had no complaints what so ever. 

There is no alternative
tongue_smile.gif

Get another pair.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,870 of 9,602
Has anyone had these and the SR60s or Sr80s etc.? Could anyone compare them for me? thanks.

I bought my dad a pair of SR60's a few years back. After months of listening to the AKGs, I vacationed to his house (he lives a few states south of me) and borrowed his headphones at night. Headband comfort was better, but not the supra-aural earpads of the SR60. Sound was still good (didn't a/b them side by side), though the SR60 sounded a bit like I'd turned an equalizer on. And of course, the soundstage was smaller. Both are quite good, but I enjoy my Q701 more, and it was nice to come home to them.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,871 of 9,602

Didn't you say this a few weeks back? Mine's perfect, and I'm not even the first owner. Sorry about your luck.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,872 of 9,602
Quote:
As for fatigue, unfortunately yes, they are fatiguing. Not because of the sound, but because of those damned dimples in the head band. I'm bald, so those dimples compress directly into my head leaving irritating and visible indentations, much to the hilarity of my girlfriend. My solution is going to be getting hold of a small bit of memory foam, cut it to size and bond it to the underside of the head band.

All in all very happy with the new 'phones
smily_headphones1.gif

I too am bald as a baby's bottom.  And yes, I too would get terrible head pain from the q701's.  

So I rigged up my own solution using a leather sata/usb hdd carry case I never used, some fleece and glue from my wife's crafts and those velcro straps chico used for his.

The result?  BAM: 

http://postimg.org/image/n5tuic1pd/full/   <--(stupid forum won't let me upload this pic to via the image button ???) :

No more head pain.  And doesnt look too  ghetto either.     The leather molds to the bumps and smoothes them out nicely.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,873 of 9,602
Quote:
Didn't you say this a few weeks back? Mine's perfect, and I'm not even the first owner. Sorry about your luck.

Yeah i was snooping around trying to find out if anyone else who had recently bought a pair from amazon noticed any issues. The second pairs rattle started off really unnoticeable at first but progressively got worse and before long was worse than my original pair. I don't think amazon would be interested in sending me a 3rd or 4th pair and to be honest i cant be bothered. Perhaps its something to do with my setup and settings but i doubt it. I've listened to the AKG Q460s, Sennheiser PC350s and cheap Panasonic  DJS200s on this setup and haven't experienced any problems. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2,874 of 9,602
Quote:
Yeah i was snooping around trying to find out if anyone else who had recently bought a pair from amazon noticed any issues. The second pairs rattle started off really unnoticeable at first but progressively got worse and before long was worse than my original pair. I don't think amazon would be interested in sending me a 3rd or 4th pair and to be honest i cant be bothered. Perhaps its something to do with my setup and settings but i doubt it. I've listened to the AKG Q460s, Sennheiser PC350s and cheap Panasonic  DJS200s on this setup and haven't experienced any problems. 

Get it from a different seller/vendor and different batch?

Send it to AKG directly to get it fixed?

It sounds like you've just had bad luck, but whatever.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2,877 of 9,602
Apr 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #2,880 of 9,602

Users who are viewing this thread

Back