Q701 impressions thread
Apr 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #2,851 of 9,602
Quote:
As for fatigue, unfortunately yes, they are fatiguing. Not because of the sound, but because of those damned dimples in the head band. I'm bald, so those dimples compress directly into my head leaving irritating and visible indentations, much to the hilarity of my girlfriend. My solution is going to be getting hold of a small bit of memory foam, cut it to size and bond it to the underside of the head band.

All in all very happy with the new 'phones
smily_headphones1.gif

There are several options for removing the bumps. Personally, I just ripped the entire headband off and duct taped a hand cloth to the top. Another poster used one of those seat belt cushion straps...or was it a child safety belt strap...don't think it matters.

Quote:
Tha black marking goes in the back I believe. On the inside of the pad, like, on the plastics part, there is a black sharpie line. That's the thickest part, make sure it is in the back

Sweet, thanks!

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,852 of 9,602
Ok i think that chossing the High Gain option may be better.
While gaming (PS3) the Volume seems to be pretty low compared to Pc.

For the E09K, I hear no difference between low and high gain if I adjust the volume to compensate for gain.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2,853 of 9,602
There are several options for removing the bumps. Personally, I just ripped the entire headband off and duct taped a hand cloth to the top. Another poster used one of those seat belt cushion straps...or was it a child safety belt strap...don't think it matters.

Yes, I've seen the picture - http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-4-13-mad-dog-added/12450#post_9278704 :wink:

Personally I was rather looking for a more, well, elegant solution. Nevertheless you've proved that whatever the problem is duct tape is always a viable, if somewhat unaesthetic, solution :wink:

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,854 of 9,602
i went as simple as using a single piece of a paper towel, folded it up and put it under the headband. It kind of makes the headband look 2-toned and i have the white versions anyways. It's not alot of material but it does the job for me.

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,856 of 9,602
Quote:
Yes, I've seen the picture - http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-4-13-mad-dog-added/12450#post_9278704
wink.gif

Personally I was rather looking for a more, well, elegant solution. Nevertheless you've proved that whatever the problem is duct tape is always a viable, if somewhat unaesthetic, solution
wink.gif

This is the photo of the seatbelt cushion strap:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/3c/900x900px-LL-3cc7efa6_image.jpeg

I just ended up cutting the middle four bumps off with a razor blade and used a hot glue gun to attach a small section from an old guitar strap where the bumps were. Quick and easy fix that has done wonders for comfort.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,857 of 9,602
Quote:
Yes, I've seen the picture - http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-4-13-mad-dog-added/12450#post_9278704
wink.gif

Personally I was rather looking for a more, well, elegant solution. Nevertheless you've proved that whatever the problem is duct tape is always a viable, if somewhat unaesthetic, solution
wink.gif

I, too, am looking for a more elegant solution... and think I may have finally found it. I heard about switching the headband and took a look at the guide that's somewhere here on the head-fi forums. I found that option, however, to be too difficult. I think it also voids your warranty.

That's when it hit me. I called Richard from AKG repair and inquired about how much they would charge for doing a headband switch, and would it void warranty. He only charges for labor... and since the customizing is done by AKG the warranty still remains valid. You would order the headband from Frank in the parts department, then send it along with your headphones to Richard in repairs.

So there's the option I have decided to go with. I will have to wait until the new K612 headband becomes available, first... because that will be my headband of choice. I have the black Q701s with a black K702 cord (which would make it all back with the new headband). Any headband from these similar models will work, though... K601, K702 Annie, K612, K712.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,858 of 9,602
Quote:

I, too, am looking for a more elegant solution... and think I may have finally found it. I heard about switching the headband and took a look at the guide that's somewhere here on the head-fi forums. I found that option, however, to be too difficult. I think it also voids your warranty.

That's when it hit me. I called Richard from AKG repair and inquired about how much they would charge for doing a headband switch, and would it void warranty. He only charges for labor... and since the customizing is done by AKG the warranty still remains valid. You would order the headband from Frank in the parts department, then send it along with your headphones to Richard in repairs.

So there's the option I have decided to go with. I will have to wait until the new K612 headband becomes available, first... because that will be my headband of choice. I have the black Q701s with a black K702 cord (which would make it all back with the new headband). Any headband from these similar models will work, though... K601, K702 Annie, K612, K712.

The 702 annie's headband is black and it has no bumps and it is available right now.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #2,859 of 9,602
Quote:

The 702 annie's headband is black and it has no bumps and it is available right now.

The blue stitching is the only reason I choose not to order it. Plus, I like the wider headband look. I would order the K601 headband but I don't like the light gray on the bottom of them. That's why I decided that I will wait for the K612 headband to be available. I thinks it's still grey at the bottom, but more like a darker grey. I have a black K702 cable that replaced the green cable, so I'm trying to get close to an all black look.

It'll make me feel like I have a more different style than anyone else. I also don't want mine to look like an Annie clone  
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #2,860 of 9,602
Quote:
The blue stitching is the only reason I choose not to order it. Plus, I like the wider headband look. I would order the K601 headband but I don't like the light gray on the bottom of them. That's why I decided that I will wait for the K612 headband to be available. I thinks it's still grey at the bottom, but more like a darker grey. I have a black K702 cable that replaced the green cable, so I'm trying to get close to an all black look.

It'll make me feel like I have a more different style than anyone else. I also don't want mine to look like an Annie clone  
tongue.gif

You can just buy dye and color the stitching black.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,862 of 9,602

Quote:
wink.gif

wink.gif

Yes, it looks unsightly, but I keep them behind my monitor and once they're on my head, I don't see them.

Quote:
Quick Question guys:

About the headband, does your get used to it with timeß
My head still hurts from the day bevore.

And no i really would not want to attach some comfy things on the Headband.

Drove me nuts for 2 months.

Quote:

This is the photo of the seatbelt cushion strap:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/3c/900x900px-LL-3cc7efa6_image.jpeg

I just ended up cutting the middle four bumps off with a razor blade and used a hot glue gun to attach a small section from an old guitar strap where the bumps were. Quick and easy fix that has done wonders for comfort.

Tho prettier, that would still be an issue w/ me as my head is simply too big for any headband whatsoever.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,864 of 9,602
Quote:
Has anyone had these and the SR60s or Sr80s etc.? Could anyone compare them for me? thanks.

Had the Q701 with my 325is.  The Q is a very nice can but not near as much fun as the Grado.  YMMV.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,865 of 9,602
Quote:
Has anyone had these and the SR60s or Sr80s etc.? Could anyone compare them for me? thanks.

I tried the 80's once (or it could have been the 60's). They were nothing special. The Q701's ARE special...especially for gaming.

Quote:
Had the Q701 with my 325is.  The Q is a very nice can but not near as much fun as the Grado.  YMMV.

I could not have explained this more perfectly or simply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back