Q701 impressions thread
Apr 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,836 of 9,602
Quote:

Quoting from another thread I'm following:

You want scary binaural? Try a virtual haircut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Wow...... never tried that before.  I listened through the Q701, the T1, and HE-500.  Finally, a good way to easily rank soundstage :

1. HE-500
2. Q701
3. T1

The HE-500s REALLY sounded like the sound was all around the room, way outside of my head.  Was playing from the Lyr with the Amperex A-Frame 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes known for great sound and soundstage

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,837 of 9,602
Quote:

Wow...... never tried that before.  I listened through the Q701, the T1, and HE-500.  Finally, a good way to easily rank soundstage :

1. HE-500
2. Q701
3. T1

The HE-500s REALLY sounded like the sound was all around the room, way outside of my head.  Was playing from the Lyr with the Amperex A-Frame 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes known for great sound and soundstage

While I prefer the HE-500 over the Q701 overall, I found the latter to have more accurate imaging and a much larger soundstage. The HE-500 is very intimate in my experience, and I found the imaging somewhat foggy with little to no center stage at all. Sounds that appeared to be right in front of me with the 701 sounded like they were coming from both sides on the HE-500. I think it's because I wear the HE-500 with the earcups angled back for comfort, which is not conducive to accurate imaging. The 701's angled pads keep the drivers pointing straight into the ear instead of pointing toward the front.

Driving both with a Magni, but my Lyr should be here in a few days.

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #2,838 of 9,602
Quote:

Quoting from another thread I'm following:

You want scary binaural? Try a virtual haircut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

When I bought my first phones (Senn HD400) I made a dummy head for binaural recording, I hooked it up to my cassette deck and then did the usual whispering in the ear, walking around the head talking etc. then I just left it recording for half an hour or so while I got about my usual Saturday. When I replayed the recording the effects stuff was quite convincing, but the stuff that followed - my footsteps around the apartment, doors opening and closing, toilet flushing, things clanking in the kitchen, kettle boiling - that was really freaky (I was alone) eyes closed it was like I had an intruder in my home.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,839 of 9,602
Thanks but i already know the virtual haircut.
I had tried it out with my Dt 880. Still i am unimpressed with the term "Soundstage". Its still pretty close to my head.

Now i did not expect a speaker like Sound but i dont know^^. I am kinda lost here.
Wonder if the  E9k/e17 produces a narrow Soundstage.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2,840 of 9,602
Quote:
Thanks but i already know the virtual haircut.
I had tried it out with my Dt 880. Still i am unimpressed with the term "Soundstage". Its still pretty close to my head.

Now i did not expect a speaker like Sound but i dont know^^. I am kinda lost here.
Wonder if the  E9k/e17 produces a narrow Soundstage.

I dunno, I am listening to the Virtual Haircut right now on E09K/Q701, and it's pretty incredible. Then again, my other headphones are Grados.

Edit: Just listened again on my SR-225i's, and the Qs are certainly wider.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,841 of 9,602

Quote:

I dunno, I am listening to the Virtual Haircut right now on E09K/Q701, and it's pretty incredible. Then again, my other headphones are Grados.

Edit: Just listened again on my SR-225i's, and the Qs are certainly wider.

Haha! What a good combo to have. I feel shame for breaking my 325i's. :frowning2:

Quote:

The 701's angled pads keep the drivers pointing straight into the ear instead of pointing toward the front.

I lost my stock 701 pads and recently ordered a replacement pair, but do not remember the correct angle. Would you do me a favor and either take a pic or explain where the "lower" portion of the muffs go? Hope this makes sense and thanks!!!

Quote:
When I bought my first phones (Senn HD400) I made a dummy head for binaural recording, I hooked it up to my cassette deck and then did the usual whispering in the ear, walking around the head talking etc. then I just left it recording for half an hour or so while I got about my usual Saturday. When I replayed the recording the effects stuff was quite convincing, but the stuff that followed - my footsteps around the apartment, doors opening and closing, toilet flushing, things clanking in the kitchen, kettle boiling - that was really freaky (I was alone) eyes closed it was like I had an intruder in my home.

Sweet story! I don't suppose you still have the recording?

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,842 of 9,602
I've been comparing these again to the K702 65th Anniversary Edition for the last few weeks. Still think my Q701 sounds smoother (and better) overall. For the life of me I can't really detect that much more bass on the 65th. The 65th is still a tad fuller sounding, but barely audible to me. The extra bass and slightly fuller sound wasn't worth $73 for the pads.

I think the only reason the Q701 might sound smoother to me is that my ears are further away from the drivers. Some detail does seem easier to hear on the 65th due to your ears being closer to the driver. Imaging also seems a bit better but I think it's due to less treble and more warmth.

I guess for people that listen to more bassy music and mostly male vocals, the 65th is a good option. Asian pop (especially the kind with female vocals) sounds best to my ears on the Q701. Female vocals sound more distant on the 65th unless it's a song where there is harsh vocals in the recording. Lots of Cantopop is like that.

Tonight I listened to 7 straight tracks with both headphones.

I also found out that the 65th sounds like poop when you have the Q701's outer foam installed.

The only way I'd pass a blind A/B test on them is by listening to harsh music on both or songs with male vocals.

To me there is like a 3-5% difference in sound between them. It's a smaller difference IMO than the K702 vs Q701.

I do love the 65th pads on the K400 so it was worth it just for that.

I wish I now had a K601 to try these pads. They make an even larger difference on the K400 than the Q701 though!

Again, all this depends on preferences. Neither is better. You'll either prefer the 65th sound or the stock Q701.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,843 of 9,602
Quote:

I lost my stock 701 pads and recently ordered a replacement pair, but do not remember the correct angle. Would you do me a favor and either take a pic or explain where the "lower" portion of the muffs go? Hope this makes sense and thanks!!!

You position them so that it angles the drivers forward. The thickest part of the pads should be behind your ear.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2,844 of 9,602
Quote:
You'll either prefer the 65th sound or the stock Q701.

Or...you'll like them both. 
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #2,847 of 9,602

Haha! What a good combo to have. I feel shame for breaking my 325i's. :frowning2:

I lost my stock 701 pads and recently ordered a replacement pair, but do not remember the correct angle. Would you do me a favor and either take a pic or explain where the "lower" portion of the muffs go? Hope this makes sense and thanks!!

Sweet story! I don't suppose you still have the recording?

Tha black marking goes in the back I believe. On the inside of the pad, like, on the plastics part, there is a black sharpie line. That's the thickest part, make sure it is in the back

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,848 of 9,602
I thought I'd better pop into this thread as I'm a new Q701 owner. Currently running them from an iMac through a Fiio E17 DAC/amp combo (a weak point I'm sure, but that little device sounds better than it has any right to) and I'm totally enjoying it.

The detail I'm getting out of these things is incredible, and the midrange is to die for. The bass is tight and true IMO, only lacking on recordings that have no bass in the first place. Flicking through my collection I couldn't really find a genre where these didn't perform well, and my genre gamut is pretty wide.

Another thing I've found is that they have reasonably similar tonal qualities to my portable rig which uses senny HD25s. Before anybody jumps on me and says you can't compare the two, which I agree with, all I mean is that I can swap between the headphones whithout my brain needing to spend 5 minutes re-equalising the sound, which is a good thing in my mind.

As for fatigue, unfortunately yes, they are fatiguing. Not because of the sound, but because of those damned dimples in the head band. I'm bald, so those dimples compress directly into my head leaving irritating and visible indentations, much to the hilarity of my girlfriend. My solution is going to be getting hold of a small bit of memory foam, cut it to size and bond it to the underside of the head band.

All in all very happy with the new 'phones :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,849 of 9,602
I thought I'd better pop into this thread as I'm a new Q701 owner. Currently running them from an iMac through a Fiio E17 DAC/amp combo (a weak point I'm sure, but that little device sounds better than it has any right to) and I'm totally enjoying it.

The detail I'm getting out of these things is incredible, and the midrange is to die for. The bass is tight and true IMO, only lacking on recordings that have no bass in the first place. Flicking through my collection I couldn't really find a genre where these didn't perform well, and my genre gamut is pretty wide.

Another thing I've found is that they have reasonably similar tonal qualities to my portable rig which uses senny HD25s. Before anybody jumps on me and says you can't compare the two, which I agree with, all I mean is that I can swap between the headphones whithout my brain needing to spend 5 minutes re-equalising the sound, which is a good thing in my mind.

As for fatigue, unfortunately yes, they are fatiguing. Not because of the sound, but because of those damned dimples in the head band. I'm bald, so those dimples compress directly into my head leaving irritating and visible indentations, much to the hilarity of my girlfriend. My solution is going to be getting hold of a small bit of memory foam, cut it to size and bond it to the underside of the head band.

All in all very happy with the new 'phones :)

I use a Windows 7 laptop and an E17 with mine as well. Im perfectly happy with this combination. I have no complaints about the Q701 or the E17.

What are you using for EQ, gain settings and average volume? Just curious. Im using mine at 6db gain, and +2db bass and listening between 25-30 on the volume.

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,850 of 9,602
I'm using 0db gain, hence my volume levels are a bit higher than yours - generally between 35 and 45 depending on the track. I found the 6db gain gave a certain sharpness to the sound, and that 0db was more rounded.

As for EQ, none. Most of the stuff I listen to really doesn't need it, and if I come across a track that's light in one area or another then I'll EQ on the computer, although I haven't found that I need to do this much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back