Q701 impressions thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,821 of 9,602
Well I started off spending big, now I've settled for less and have learned to live with it. If I really think about it though, it's not really "less" since I like the Q701 more than the HD650. 

I'm sure the Q701 would be better with a better amp and DAC, but how much better, and would it really be worth spending more? If I like what I am hearing now, then why change anything in the first place?
Quote:
I started with the E17, my first DAC. Now, the Gamma2, and never think about going back
smily_headphones1.gif

This hobby is a money pit. Especially since I will never be able to sell my K340, K240 Sextett, or Q701. Since they are so awesome.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,822 of 9,602
Quote:
Well I started off spending big, now I've settled for less and have learned to live with it. If I really think about it though, it's not really "less" since I like the Q701 more than the HD650. 

I'm sure the Q701 would be better with a better amp and DAC, but how much better, and would it really be worth spending more? If I like what I am hearing now, then why change anything in the first place?

Yeah, I tried the HE-400 due to the hype. And it sucked IMHO. But I loved the instrument separation, so I found the HE-5Le, and its perfect.... for now :p

I have a feeling the HE-6 will be coming shortly after the NYC meet in 2 weeks.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #2,823 of 9,602
Strangely I prefer the DAC inside my Ipod 3G (the monochrome version) to every DAC i've had. It's smoother sounding than the Modi, but that could mean it's just less revealing or more colored. Not sure. I wish I could find a computer DAC that sounded identical to my old Ipod 3G. The DAC in that uses an older Wolfson chipset and is slightly warm in comparison to the ODAC and Modi. It's not as warm as the HRT MSII though. The DAC in my Ipod Touch 2G isn't that good and too cold sounding.

I might have to try the E17 out sometime. That uses a Wolfson DAC chipset and might be what I'm looking for. There's also an Audio-GD DAC that uses dual Wolfson DACs too.

The Wolfson DAC in the iPod 3/4G is good stuff. I really adore the DAC in the 1st gen Shuffle, if anyone still has one of those.

I'm listening to some Alabama Shakes tonight on my 701s, and totally loving them right now!

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2,825 of 9,602
Quote:

Hahaha, because you don't know what you're missing! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Take your sweet time getting there if you want, there's no rush.  Pair the Q701 with a Sheer Audio HA006 and some killer DAC.

I've got a pimped out Dynalo and DAC19 (rarely pops up in the FS forum if I'm not mistaken), and the combo with K701 is
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,826 of 9,602
Hi, I ordered this hp back in march on the 24th from harman's ebay store(auction). There was a problem with paypal accepting my credit card so harman cancelled my order and sent me a new order. Well, they took my money and never sent the hp. Ive asked them 3 times now through ebay messaging why my item hasn't shipped and the only answer I've gotten is "order was cancelled. any other questions?". What they took my money and even left positive feedback and now they are ignoring me. What the hell am i supposed to do here?

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,827 of 9,602
PayPal dispute. they never sent item so you never got tracking number or package. get PayPal involved and you can most likely get your money back

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,828 of 9,602
double post

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #2,829 of 9,602
Ok guys my Q701 has arrived.

I am ampig it with may Fiio e9k/e17 on low gain so i can hit the 12 o. clock mark which seems to be  the sweet spot of the amp.

I had huge expectations for the Soundstage but i have been disappointed.
My old Dt 880 (600) Sounded pretty close, however the Q701 is just A LITTLE bit further away.

Ist that normal? Does it change with burning them in?

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #2,833 of 9,602
Maybe it is my cohice of music perhaps.

I am listening right now to the Soundtrack of a Game ( Final Fantasy XIII) from the cd and its a bit wider than the dt 880.
When i watched a FPS video like Battlefield 3, the Soundstage seemed to be even wider.

Is there any perticular Soundtrack you could recommend me to listen on Youtube which shows me what kind of Soundstage the Q701 can reproduce?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back