Q701 impressions thread
Mar 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,746 of 9,602
Hi, I haven't been on this forum in years cause i bought an ad700 and was satisfied with the gaming performance, but my tastes have evolved a bit. I now spend a larger chunk of time watching movies and listening to music. Funny thing happened my sound card(xfi forte) died and my ad700 was destroyed(kids) at the same exact time i received my income tax refund:)D). So I bought the q701 based on tons of threads and an xfi titanium HD. The xfi was purchased for sound quality and gaming performance in games AND I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION IT HAD A HP AMP. The box even states (up to 330 ohm) well more research has me thinking this is not enough. So im looking for recommendations for an amp that wont break the bank. My bank is 150 usd or less. Unless there is some godlike deal on a golden amp for slightly more that is my limit.

TL:DR - q701 with titanium hd sound card and need an amp for 150 usd or less(unless some sweet f'n deal for a little more come along).

TY for any help

I recommend against the O2 TBH. Yeah it's nice in some ways, and maybe it's transparent by measure, but first of all, JDSLabs is more than a mayflower electronics build, so if ur buying, buy mayflower. Anyway, to me, the O2 sounds OK with my gear, all I feel it does is make it louder, nothing special. However, the E17 is fantastic. It really trumps the O2 in every way, EQ, more gain settings, DAC included, portability.

I highly recommend the E17. It can also be used as a DAC for listening to music and etc, which will probably be a bit better than ur sound card, without knowing about sound cards much I do know that generally external beats them handily.

The Magni is another viable option at $99, but never heard it myself TBH, so I can't be sure

You. Ight be able to score a used Asgard on eBay or the FS forums for 150 so I'd go for that if you find one.

So I'd say used Asgard > E17 > Magni > O2

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,747 of 9,602
I'm sure you know more than I do about this, but it looks solid state. I wasn't really impressed w/ my 580's until I listened to them on a tube amp. Still a much less impressive headphone than the Q however...just a little too uninvolving.

You're right, the Moon is solid state. I've never heard the HD650 out of any other amp. Next time I'm at a Head Fi meet I'll have to try some HD650s and other Senns again, give 'em another chance.

I gotta admit I prefer my DT880s from a tube amp.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #2,748 of 9,602
If you like dubstep, check out Seven Lions. He fuses dubstep and trance and the result is spectacular.

And for trance lovers, Oceanlab's album "Sirens of the Sea" is phenomenal. Very well made and the vocals are just stunning. The Q701 really brings out the detail here.

I really enjoyed those, thank you much for sharing!!

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #2,749 of 9,602
Quote:
I recommend against the O2 TBH. Yeah it's nice in some ways, and maybe it's transparent by measure, but first of all, JDSLabs is more than a mayflower electronics build, so if ur buying, buy mayflower. Anyway, to me, the O2 sounds OK with my gear, all I feel it does is make it louder, nothing special. However, the E17 is fantastic. It really trumps the O2 in every way, EQ, more gain settings, DAC included, portability.

I highly recommend the E17. It can also be used as a DAC for listening to music and etc, which will probably be a bit better than ur sound card, without knowing about sound cards much I do know that generally external beats them handily.

The Magni is another viable option at $99, but never heard it myself TBH, so I can't be sure

You. Ight be able to score a used Asgard on eBay or the FS forums for 150 so I'd go for that if you find one.

So I'd say used Asgard > E17 > Magni > O2

hmm, I already ordered a magni but ill check out your suggestions.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,750 of 9,602
I think the Magni is technically better suited than the E17, with the exception of the E17's internal EQ if such a thing interests you. Hopefully you'll just love what you already paid for. Personally, I had three different solid state options for amping, but I most enjoy the involving sound from my tube amp (built by Head-Fi member Zigis, from Latvia). While my better SS amps are very articulate and seem to draw out the native characteristics of my headphones, it just seems like the songs are laid bare, like "this is what was recorded, and this is how your headphones play that recording," while my tube amp has more liquid tone and emphasizes the sense of placement depth while digging into the texture of a note, music is experienced more like a performance than as a recording.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,751 of 9,602
I think the Magni is technically better suited than the E17, with the exception of the E17's internal EQ if such a thing interests you. Hopefully you'll just love what you already paid for. Personally, I had three different solid state options for amping, but I most enjoy the involving sound from my tube amp (built by Head-Fi member Zigis, from Latvia). While my better SS amps are very articulate and seem to draw out the native characteristics of my headphones, it just seems like the songs are laid bare, like "this is what was recorded, and this is how your headphones play that recording," while my tube amp has more liquid tone and emphasizes the sense of placement depth while digging into the texture of a note, music is experienced more like a performance than as a recording.

I have never had a higher end SS amp, but once i heard these through the Lyr, i dont think i could ever go back to my E17 lol

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2,752 of 9,602

Lately I've been using an OTL tube amp with my Qs.
There's just something about that combination that I really dig.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2,753 of 9,602
What does OTL stand for again? I think mine would be classified as a SET amp, Single-Ended-Triode, it's a "simple" circuit yet it sounds wonderful. Modern MOSFETs, resistors, and capacitors are wonderful, give my Q701s great bass and treble extension, but it's pretty magic with the mids :) I had always heard that background noise was part of owning a tube amp, but I don't hear any at all :)

Oh, and I ended up buying that "the Great Divide" remix by Seven Lions, also "Lets have a Kiki" (just because it was fun) by the Scissor Sisters, "Little Wing" by Stevie Ray Vaughan, and "Why Can't You Behave?" by Jane Monheit. Nice to realize I just got paid :D

Kiki is a little flaming and has a few mild swears, but it's fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGCD4xb-Tr8&sns=em

"Little Wing" is some great electric guitar jamming:
[Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKgcx6GX2yg&sns=em[/Video]

Jane Monheit has those relaxing, smokey blues jazz/blues vocals down:
[Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0yTVj3TyEw&sns=em[/Video]

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2,754 of 9,602
Quote:
You're right, the Moon is solid state. I've never heard the HD650 out of any other amp. Next time I'm at a Head Fi meet I'll have to try some HD650s and other Senns again, give 'em another chance.

I gotta admit I prefer my DT880s from a tube amp.

I did too. Something about the HD580 that's just a little on the boring side, but much easier to listen to for long periods than the 880 was. I actually prefer the A900X over the 880 600 since it's more "fun" to listen too. None of these compare to the foot tapping, head bobbing SR325i's though. Sadly they were broked by burning them in w/ stupid noises powered by a PIMETA. :frowning2:

Yes, I will never burn in another set of headphones.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,756 of 9,602
OTL = output transformer less

And Output transformer less = high output impedence I believe, which SHoULd be bad for Q701. I had bad bad distortion from impedence mismatch

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,758 of 9,602
And Output transformer less = high output impedence I believe, which SHoULd be bad for Q701. I had bad bad distortion from impedence mismatch

Yes the output impedance is high as hell!
It really shouldn't work out to well, but what can I say?
I like the combination!:D
I think it sounds great!

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,759 of 9,602
Quote:

That's weird. I connected my Q701 to a receiver with a 330ohm impedance output and it didn't change even slightly. Maybe i'm lucky. Neither did my DJ100, but my KRK KNS-8400 sounded like it's mids were coming from a cave.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #2,760 of 9,602
What does OTL stand for again? I think mine would be classified as a SET amp, Single-Ended-Triode, it's a "simple" circuit yet it sounds wonderful. Modern MOSFETs, resistors, and capacitors are wonderful, give my Q701s great bass and treble extension, but it's pretty magic with the mids :) I had always heard that background noise was part of owning a tube amp, but I don't hear any at all :)

Oh, and I ended up buying that "the Great Divide" remix by Seven Lions, also "Lets have a Kiki" (just because it was fun) by the Scissor Sisters, "Little Wing" by Stevie Ray Vaughan, and "Why Can't You Behave?" by Jane Monheit. Nice to realize I just got paid :D

Kiki is a little flaming and has a few mild swears, but it's fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGCD4xb-Tr8&sns=em

"Little Wing" is some great electric guitar jamming

Jane Monheit has those relaxing, smokey blues jazz/blues vocals down:]

Oooooooh!
Jane is hot, man! We're going to see her in April.

Yeah, I really like Stevie's version of Little Wing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back