Q701 impressions thread
Mar 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,731 of 9,602
Been listening to the Anniversary Edition the last two days almost non-stop. Don't really like it and for me doesn't have those nice addicting upper mids of the Q701. Not as good for female vocals and the upper mids seem way more recessed. If I had purchased it I would have returned it by now.

Seems more warm and muffled and I'm not really impressed with the actual bass quality. Sounds like a poor mans HD-650.  It seems like I got worse quality bass, more warmth and more forward lower mids and less upper mids and treble. I was able to improve the bass slightly, but then it messes with everything else. The HD-650 has better bass and about the same quantity and is clearer. Actually I think there's a little more sub-bass on MY HD-650 than the Anniversary.

Q701 also just sounds way more balanced despite the upper mids and treble. It's less forgiving of harsh material though and that's one reason some may prefer the Anniversary (or HD-650).

I think the HD-650 I have sounds way better (and smoother) than the Anniversary. The Anniversary still sounds closer to a giant PX100-II. Of course the Q701 is better than the HD-650. Actually I love both of them.

Now all these are just my weird preferences. I imagine some will love the Anniversary. Adding even a little more bass and warmth (with pads, not EQ) just sacrifices way too much IMO.

BTW the Anniversary kind of reminds me of the K601, but warmer and with less forward upper mids.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #2,732 of 9,602
Quote:

Already ordered.
smile.gif

Very cool.
They are a very neutral 'phone.
The HD650 has a lot of fans, but I find the difference between the Q701 and the HD650 is vast............the difference between on the bright side and dark or warm side.

The DT880s may be the "Kings of Comfort". 
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #2,733 of 9,602
yes, Q701 and HD 650 are extremely different. only similarity is that the Q701 have slightly warm mids but the HD 650 are still different cause their mids are smooth and lush. everything else is extremely different.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,734 of 9,602
Hi, I haven't been on this forum in years cause i bought an ad700 and was satisfied with the gaming performance, but my tastes have evolved a bit. I now spend a larger chunk of time watching movies and listening to music. Funny thing happened my sound card(xfi forte) died and my ad700 was destroyed(kids) at the same exact time i received my income tax refund:)D). So I bought the q701 based on tons of threads and an xfi titanium HD. The xfi was purchased for sound quality and gaming performance in games AND I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION IT HAD A HP AMP. The box even states (up to 330 ohm) well more research has me thinking this is not enough. So im looking for recommendations for an amp that wont break the bank. My bank is 150 usd or less. Unless there is some godlike deal on a golden amp for slightly more that is my limit.

TL:DR - q701 with titanium hd sound card and need an amp for 150 usd or less(unless some sweet f'n deal for a little more come along).

TY for any help

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #2,735 of 9,602
Quote:
Very cool.
They are a very neutral 'phone.
The HD650 has a lot of fans, but I find the difference between the Q701 and the HD650 is vast............the difference between on the bright side and dark or warm side.

The DT880s may be the "Kings of Comfort". 
wink.gif

Quote:
yes, Q701 and HD 650 are extremely different. only similarity is that the Q701 have slightly warm mids but the HD 650 are still different cause their mids are smooth and lush. everything else is extremely different.

Wow, that's weird. My HD-650 isn't that dramatically different than my Q701.
My HD-650 is really quite neutral though but has slightly recessed treble, but it isn't dark at all. No mid-bass hump that sticks out.
I would say the HD-650 I have is slightly (yes, slightly!) warmer and has more low bass presence.
The only other difference is that the Q701 has more forward upper mids and more treble. I prefer the Q701 for female vocals over the HD-650, but both are good. My Q701 really doesn't have all that much more treble than the HD-650.

The HD-650 is obviously a bit fuller sounding sometimes, but there still isn't that big of a difference there. The HD-650 just sounds smoother because of it having less forward upper mids and less treble. I would say it's just slightly more forgiving than the Q701. On my Magni+Modi music can still sound somewhat harsh on the HD-650, but not fatiguing. It takes the edge off some bad/bright recordings.

I would definitely say the Q701 is quite warm and more than just slightly (for me). The K701 now has a touch of warmth. The q701 a bit more than that. I think for my preferences the Q701 has the perfect amount of warmth.

My last two HD-650s had a mid-bass hump and were dark though. Not even sure what the heck the general consensus is on the sound of the HD-650 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2,737 of 9,602
I've only heard one HD650.
It was sooo dark that I swore I would never listen to another one, because that's how I roll, baby!
I also thought it had a vice like grip on my Cro-Magnon man brain. 
mad.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #2,739 of 9,602
@unclepauly
Schiit magni or e09k amps

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2,741 of 9,602
No problem. :)

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,742 of 9,602
Quote:
Hi, I haven't been on this forum in years cause i bought an ad700 and was satisfied with the gaming performance, but my tastes have evolved a bit. I now spend a larger chunk of time watching movies and listening to music. Funny thing happened my sound card(xfi forte) died and my ad700 was destroyed(kids) at the same exact time i received my income tax refund:)D). So I bought the q701 based on tons of threads and an xfi titanium HD. The xfi was purchased for sound quality and gaming performance in games AND I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION IT HAD A HP AMP. The box even states (up to 330 ohm) well more research has me thinking this is not enough. So im looking for recommendations for an amp that wont break the bank. My bank is 150 usd or less. Unless there is some godlike deal on a golden amp for slightly more that is my limit.

TL:DR - q701 with titanium hd sound card and need an amp for 150 usd or less(unless some sweet f'n deal for a little more come along).

TY for any help

If you need only an amp, I can recommend the O2 (objective2). JDS Labs or something produces them in USA. I think its around that 150$. Widely regarded as a very good amp and I can say so too.

Quote:
If you like dubstep, check out Seven Lions. He fuses dubstep and trance and the result is spectacular.

And for trance lovers, Oceanlab's album "Sirens of the Sea" is phenomenal. Very well made and the vocals are just stunning. The Q701 really brings out the detail here.

I just love the Q701 and O2 now. I think burned in and I got accustomed to them. I haven't experienced harshness anymore. Everything sounds very nice and natural. Thank you for recommendations. I can't seem to find Seven Lions anywhere in high quality...

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,743 of 9,602
Quote:
I just love the Q701 and O2 now. I think burned in and I got accustomed to them. I haven't experienced harshness anymore. Everything sounds very nice and natural. Thank you for recommendations. I can't seem to find Seven Lions anywhere in high quality...

Check over at beatport.com. I think you can download in AIFF lossless from there.

http://www.beatport.com/artist/seven-lions/241780

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,744 of 9,602
Mar 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #2,745 of 9,602
Quote:

The headphone jack of a Moon CD player.

I'm sure you know more than I do about this, but it looks solid state. I wasn't really impressed w/ my 580's until I listened to them on a tube amp. Still a much less impressive headphone than the Q however...just a little too uninvolving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back