Q701 impressions thread
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,536 of 9,602
Tbh, the bits about the Annies that interest me the most are the headband and color scheme, lol!
My earpads slowly slide down my head during use, I find I have to pull it up every 30 minutes or so to keep it comfortable. It's like the headband doesn't have enough tension to stay in place once I put it on. Suggestions?

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2,537 of 9,602
Quote:
Ah, still experimenting with Q701 recabling are we? Haha, I'm jealous I don't have those kind of skills.
tongue.gif

With how much you've enjoyed the Q701, I was going to ask if you ever thought about the K702 65th. But then again, it's very expensive in comparison.

I can't afford them right now and even if I could, it's hard to want to pay an extra $160 or so just for more bass and better pads. Most likely if I did buy it I'd probably end up returning it. My Q701 is perfect for me and IMO it doesn't really need any more warmth or bass. I always have the HD-650 for when I want something even warmer.

I could simply buy it and sell my Q701 if I love it, but I'd never sell my Q701 EVER. Yeah, I like it that much. I just have a feeling the 65th is a more colored version of the Q701 and I don't really need that.

What I did do was buy some 65th pads to try them on my Q701. They won't be shipped until the 19th or so though.
I mean heck the two use the same driver part #s (confirmed earlier today). What else could be different that changes the sound? Nobody will ever know!

Oh and as far as soldering goes..i'm not that skilled with soldering. I learned last year from Youtube when I wanted to recable my HD-600 and DJ100. Recabling a HD-600 is way easier than recabling a Q701. For the Cardas plugs you do need flux or else it won't go so well...

I have a hard time not making my completed cables look like a piece of junk. This one I made looks a bit better than the last one!

What has been on my radar more than the 65th though is a Schiit Lyr. That wouldn't happen for a very long time though. Probably not a good idea for the Q701, but I haven't checked up on that yet. I'd be using it with my HD-650 and DJ100.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,538 of 9,602
Quote:
I can't afford them right now and even if I could, it's hard to want to pay an extra $160 or so just for more bass and better pads. Most likely if I did buy it I'd probably end up returning it. My Q701 is perfect for me and IMO it doesn't really need any more warmth or bass. I always have the HD-650 for when I want something even warmer.

I could simply buy it and sell my Q701 if I love it, but I'd never sell my Q701 EVER. Yeah, I like it that much. I just have a feeling the 65th is a more colored version of the Q701 and I don't really need that.

What I did do was buy some 65th pads to try them on my Q701. They won't be shipped until the 19th or so though.
I mean heck the two use the same driver part #s (confirmed earlier today). What else could be different that changes the sound? Nobody will ever know!

Oh and as far as soldering goes..i'm not that skilled with soldering. I learned last year from Youtube when I wanted to recable my HD-600 and DJ100. Recabling a HD-600 is way easier than recabling a Q701. For the Cardas plugs you do need flux or else it won't go so well...

I have a hard time not making my completed cables look like a piece of junk. This one I made looks a bit better than the last one!

What has been on my radar more than the 65th though is a Schiit Lyr. That wouldn't happen for a very long time though. Probably not a good idea for the Q701, but I haven't checked up on that yet. I'd be using it with my HD-650 and DJ100.

You should report back when you get those pads. I'm curious to see if you hear any improvements. Did you ever knife those headband bumps or do any sort of comfort mod? Never could stand those things.

I forget, but what are you running the Q701 off of? I believe you've got your DJ100 off your Magni and ODAC, correct? Just wondering if you were using the same for the Q701, or if that E9 was still getting use.
wink.gif

Well, I couldn't see why it wouldn't go well with the Q701 (or any headphone you have for that matter) under the assumption you'll tube roll. Dangerous road for your wallet to take though! I do think it would be interesting to hear your impressions of the DJ100 off that tier of amp. Have we gotten any comments of people trying their DJ100s on bigger/expensive amps? What about tubes? We both know that driver is very capable, perhaps it would really open up with the right type of power.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2,539 of 9,602
Quote:

You should report back when you get those pads. I'm curious to see if you hear any improvements. Did you ever knife those headband bumps or do any sort of comfort mod? Never could stand those things.

I forget, but what are you running the Q701 off of? I believe you've got your DJ100 off your Magni and ODAC, correct? Just wondering if you were using the same for the Q701, or if that E9 was still getting use.
wink.gif

Well, I couldn't see why it wouldn't go well with the Q701 (or any headphone you have for that matter) under the assumption you'll tube roll. Dangerous road for your wallet to take though! I do think it would be interesting to hear your impressions of the DJ100 off that tier of amp. Have we gotten any comments of people trying their DJ100s on bigger/expensive amps? What about tubes? We both know that driver is very capable, perhaps it would really open up with the right type of power.

The bumps have never bothered me at all. I did have a K701 years ago and those bothered me, but not the Q701 or K702. Actually what's funny is that I had my Q701 on my head for hours and hours the other day and noticed a sore spot on my head. Didn't even feel it until I was scratching my head or something. The Q701 always feels like it's not even there though.

I use my Q701 with my Headroom Micro amp. Sounds amazing with everything. It's nearly as transparent as the Magni, but not as "cold and analytical". It's not warm though. The Magni doesn't sound better with any headphone I have, but it's still a very good amp and worth every penny. Micro actually sounds like it has a larger soundstage, more detail and a few other differences. The Magni is slightly thinner sounding. The HD-650 does sound good with the Magni though. I don't remember the Asgard sounding as good, but never compared them.

I also switched from the HRT MSII to the ODAC and found that it was much smoother sounding. The ODAC is perfect to my ears. It didn't make my Q701 magically sound less warm at all. Even it's soundstage improved over that of the MSII.

HD-650, DJ100 and Q701 are now the only headphones I use. Everything is in storage. I use the DJ100 the most though. When I switch from the Q701 and HD-650, it sounds equally as good, but a smaller soundstage of course.

BTW I could be perfectly happy listening to any of my headphones with the Magni. The difference between the Magni and Micro isn't huge. I can say the Magni is better than the E9, but some may prefer the sound of the Q701 with the E9 despite not technically as good. The E9 has some warmth, which I never realized before.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2,540 of 9,602
Quote:
The bumps have never bothered me at all. I did have a K701 years ago and those bothered me, but not the Q701 or K702. Actually what's funny is that I had my Q701 on my head for hours and hours the other day and noticed a sore spot on my head. Didn't even feel it until I was scratching my head or something. The Q701 always feels like it's not even there though.

I use my Q701 with my Headroom Micro amp. Sounds amazing with everything. It's nearly as transparent as the Magni, but not as "cold and analytical". It's not warm though. The Magni doesn't sound better with any headphone I have, but it's still a very good amp and worth every penny. Micro actually sounds like it has a larger soundstage, more detail and a few other differences. The Magni is slightly thinner sounding. The HD-650 does sound good with the Magni though. I don't remember the Asgard sounding as good, but never compared them.

I also switched from the HRT MSII to the ODAC and found that it was much smoother sounding. The ODAC is perfect to my ears. It didn't make my Q701 magically sound less warm at all. Even it's soundstage improved over that of the MSII.

HD-650, DJ100 and Q701 are now the only headphones I use. Everything is in storage. I use the DJ100 the most though. When I switch from the Q701 and HD-650, it sounds equally as good, but a smaller soundstage of course.

BTW I could be perfectly happy listening to any of my headphones with the Magni. The difference between the Magni and Micro isn't huge. I can say the Magni is better than the E9, but some may prefer the sound of the Q701 with the E9 despite not technically as good. The E9 has some warmth, which I never realized before.

Oh, that's right, the Micro. I remember buying the Mirco Stack back in the day, I believe I only had the HD600 and HD650 at the time, but I swear I had the Q701 and D2000 also. Can't even remember how it sounded. I very rarely see any comment regarding Headrooms gear, so I'm glad you are having a positive experience with it and the Q701. They even decreased the price of the amp to $245, and the Micro Stack to $480. But beyond that, I'd say I definitely miss the Q701. I think the only nitpick I had with my 3rd (most recent) pair was the treble was just a smidgen to prominent. I can't quite remember, but it's always been one of my favorites. I wish they had a normal iteration instead of the whole "Q" thing, but I guess that's where the overpriced K702 65th comes in.

Wish I would have known about the ODAC back when I was buying the HRTII for the 2nd time around.

Hmm. I've been contemplating the Magni/Modi and the E09K/E7K for the past few weeks. It's kinda hard to decide when I don't know what headphone purchases I'll be making in the future. I figured the Fiio combo due to it naturally sounding warm. I definitely like a warm sound. But then again, I plan on buying the DJ100 again at some point, and your Magni comments intrigue me. I don't think the DJ100 needs more warmth, so I'd probably just stick with my Airhead for that, assuming I got the Fiio combo. One thing is for sure, I think I've found my "place" in the lower to middle price bracket. I could totally rebuy the DJ100 and simply spend time trying to pair it with something that sounded good to me. After having this HE-500 for a few weeks, I'm pretty convinced I can settle for much less.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #2,541 of 9,602
I'm using the slick FiiO E12 with my Q701 at the moment, I find it to be a great pairing. The optional bass boost mostly just expands the sub-bass into a range I feel is more in balance with the rest of the frequency range. Here's my review of the amp:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e12-mont-blanc/reviews/8449

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,544 of 9,602
If anyone wants a CHEAP Q701 cable upgrade, Redco can probably do it. They have a custom cable configuration on their main page.
You can select to use Mogami W2893 and then have one end be a mini-XLR and then the other a 1/8 or 1/4" plug.

AKG wiring for mini-XLRs is not standard (I think), so in the comments field you have to give them this info:

pin 1 = ground
pin 2 = right/ring
pin 3 left/tip

(NOTE: no connection to them, but good for those wanting a nice cable that's just as cheap as stock and even better)

BTW the W2893 is slightly thicker than stock cable, but not a big deal for me.

You can also make a DIY version for under $15. It's a huge hassle for me though.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2,545 of 9,602
Quote:
I'm using the slick FiiO E12 with my Q701 at the moment, I find it to be a great pairing. The optional bass boost mostly just expands the sub-bass into a range I feel is more in balance with the rest of the frequency range. Here's my review of the amp:

You ever feel that the pair together is too warm? This seems to be the only thing I see as a potential negative with this pairing. Everything else aside, I can't imagine a better portable amp for the Q!

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,546 of 9,602
Anyone that has searched knows the M-Stage is one of the most recommended amps for the Q701.

I just wanted to report the P650 CD player sounds nearly identical. So for those looking for a lower cost alternative, that's an idea.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,547 of 9,602
Quote:
Anyone that has searched knows the M-Stage is one of the most recommended amps for the Q701.

I just wanted to report the P650 CD player sounds nearly identical. So for those looking for a lower cost alternative, that's an idea.

Not saying the M-Stage is or isn't, but E12 seems to be a perfectly acceptable amp as well. I looked at the M-Stage but did not want to spend quite that much, nearly double the E12, when I know I will be investing in a desktop amp sometime in the future as well.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,548 of 9,602
Great review and video review!

Thanks! I was kicking myself that I called Stax headphones "orthodontic" or whatever instead of electrostatic. I intend to add HQ pictures and the proper name for the USB connector, but I got distracted today. "CRKT Ripple: Alien Inception"

You ever feel that the pair together is too warm? This seems to be the only thing I see as a potential negative with this pairing. Everything else aside, I can't imagine a better portable amp for the Q!

No I feel the balance is perfect, even with the sub-bass boost on, which is why I've been fighting on the E12 thread for FiiO to keep making the boost as-is. 95% of the time I don't feel I lose ANYTHING with the boost on, not detail not speed, just basically balances the Q701's sub level with the midbass. If you think FiiO should keep it that way, just give a "vote" on the E12 page, and buy one ASAP soon as there is stock.

There was mainly three very vocal people who pushed for a heavier bass boost (one of whom got rather... touchy, and none had actually heard the amp). i tried pointing out that since James asked "do you want more bass" there was actually MORE people who said "keep it as-is!" and several of them actually own the amp already. Hopefully FiiO hasn't changed it yet so that the next batch will allow more people to have a great flat response and the option of a subtle, refined boost. AND, perhaps the new boost won't be too strong either...

It's tough because the change makes me want to keep mine more. It'll be like a collector's item, lol! The ones sold already will be hard to tell apart from the revised edition, but you'll know the pre-release versions because FiiO accidentally labeled the high gain as 10 dB, even though internally it's actually 17 dB. I actually think there is more power on tap than is strictly necessary for the Q701, but like I said in my review, I think the best reason to get an E12 is if you want one amp for almost any headphone that also is easy to transport. I honestly think the E12 can take the place of a desktop amp. If you live in Pittsburgh, I'd be happy to let you audition mine.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #2,549 of 9,602
LOL!
The correct name for Stax 'phones is Orthopaedic! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back