Q701 impressions thread
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2,161 of 9,602
Quote:

ODAC, HRT MS II.  If you want a portable amp as well, E17.

Between ODAC and HRT MS II, I won't say one is better than the other, but I slightly prefer the ODAC because ODAC gives the impression of more soundstage depth, while HRT MS II gives the impression of more soundstage width.  I think the x70x benefit more from the depth...

Thanks, i was interested by them but i didn't knew if they were good for the 701.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #2,163 of 9,602
Hey guys!

I just got my Q701's this morning to ditch my Razer Megalodons.

They're amazingly comfy, with the ear cups being twice the size of my old ones <3.

I also bought a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard to power them and to get rid of using onboard audio. 

Wow was I in for a treat! Slapped some FLAC music on and man have I been missing out. They are perfect for Movies and games too and I see no sign of this "lacking bass" issue.

However I do have a question. Even with my Megaldons if the bass got heavy I would get a *crackling* noise in my right earcup. I thought it was the Megalodons but it also happens with the Q701's. Any explanation? I doubt the Q701's are defective as their less than day old.

Definitely faulty. My first pair had a rattling sound in the left driver any time the sound was around 200 Hz. I sent them back to Amazon and received a new pair that has been just fine ever since.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #2,164 of 9,602
Guys, the  Q701 is arriving tomorrow so now I need to be serious about looking for a amp.

After reading so many threads I am confused by the conflicting opinions.  Theoretically Q701  ( Zin =62 ohm) should be driven by a low output impedance amp. So most likely a SS or  hybrid amp with SS output. It will also work well with tube amps that are Transformer coupled at the output ( expensive like the  Woo 6)

However some seem to indicate it will work well with some OTL  which is strange to me because most OTL have fairly high output impedance. For example Shiit Valhalla .  Another popular  example  is LD Mk3 but with gain setting at  X5 or X10.  Maybe this is because the gain setting in the LD Mk3 is actually adjusting the amount of feedback  so in  a sense also adjusts the amps output impedance?

My question is whether i'ts worth a shot at the LD MK3 ? or better go with a safer bet like LD I+ or used EF5 or some other hybrid amps .

Thanks 

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #2,168 of 9,602
Quote:
Guys, the  Q701 is arriving tomorrow so now I need to be serious about looking for a amp.

After reading so many threads I am confused by the conflicting opinions.  Theoretically Q701  ( Zin =62 ohm) should be driven by a low output impedance amp. So most likely a SS or  hybrid amp with SS output. It will also work well with tube amps that are Transformer coupled at the output ( expensive like the  Woo 6)

However some seem to indicate it will work well with some OTL  which is strange to me because most OTL have fairly high output impedance. For example Shiit Valhalla .  Another popular  example  is LD Mk3 but with gain setting at  X5 or X10.  Maybe this is because the gain setting in the LD Mk3 is actually adjusting the amount of feedback  so in  a sense also adjusts the amps output impedance?

My question is whether i'ts worth a shot at the LD MK3 ? or better go with a safer bet like LD I+ or used EF5 or some other hybrid amps .

Thanks 

No comments ? Suggestions?   Tks

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2,170 of 9,602
Quote:
Which one gives better sound by itself?

What's your source? Is it going to be your computer? If so if it was my money I'd much rather spent $85 on an E9. It has tons of power, much more than the E11 for sure.
If you use a computer as a source, you can then buy a nice DAC. The E7 or E10 would work. I'd save up a little more and get an ODAC though.

If you have a decent soundcard, you can get by with just that for awhile straight to the amp. People say soundcards are garbage, but the Realtek HD I have (and don't use) is ruler flat and sounds pretty good.
Some of the Creative and Asus cards have really good measurements too. Not sure which ones have a line out though. The Realtek chip on my laptop is awful though for whatever reason.

BTW for the price of the E17 you can have the E9+E10. Some soundcards actually sound better than the E10 though.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,172 of 9,602

Thanks 

I've tried my La Figaro 336C, which is an OTL headphone amp, with my Q701, I can't really figure out what it is that I don't like about that combo, but I do know that I don't like it. Not too scientific, I know! It seems to make the Q701s even lighter sounding!

A better combination is either the Schiit Lyr or the Matrix M Stage.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #2,174 of 9,602
Quote:

People say soundcards are garbage, but the Realtek HD I have (and don't use) is ruler flat and sounds pretty good.

True you can use a integrated soundcard as a source. My motherboard has the best realtek chip there is, but still sounds like total and utter garbage compared to Asus Xonar ST soundcard, which is no surprise, since thats one of the best sounding DAC's for quite a while in terms of price increase, and regardless of just being a soundcard.  Very good choice for someone who uses PC only as a source, much better than E7 or E9, and powers most headphones with ease, including the Q701, but it sounds a bit bright with it.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #2,175 of 9,602
Quote:
I've tried my La Figaro 336C, which is an OTL headphone amp, with my Q701, I can't really figure out what it is that I don't like about that combo, but I do know that I don't like it. Not too scientific, I know! It seems to make the Q701s even lighter sounding!
A better combination is either the Schiit Lyr or the Matrix M Stage.

The Q701 arrived this PM.  Having no amp , I just connected it to my SB Touch headphone out.  ( Output Z= 2 ohm nominal) .  The sound is quite good as I played through some of my Demo Flac files . At max output the sound is quite loud , I listen mostly at about 80% volume. To "Burn in" the headphone phone, I connected it to my old RCA Portable radio headphone jack  and tuned to a classical FM station. I was very surprised that the volume becomes very loud with VC at 30% !  I turned it down and just let the headphone play at normal listening volumes. I will leave it there for the next 24 hrs or so. Maybe also tune it off station for some 'White Noise" . I am sure they phone would sound a lot better with an amp but which ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back