Q701 impressions thread
Oct 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #1,891 of 9,602
Quote:
No question Bounty provides a great VFM ratio.  Chinet napkins are definitely well into diminishing returns, but IMO it's worth spending 500% more to get that last 10% the AKG's can offer.  And sometimes you can stumble into a great deal on the Chinet on the used market for as low as half price...  I think that improves the value proposition and also adds a great aroma of corned beef and bacon to the listening experience.

I'd be wary of buying a used Chinet.  I've heard there are tons of counterfeits out there. 

I also heard the Chinets need A LOT of burn in to sound good, but that if you burn them in too much they will overheat and catch on fire!  Chinets R&D is working on it, but they had to recall some earlier batches.

Lately I've been experimenting trying to get a thicker sound, and I feel the best choice for that might be Brawny.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,892 of 9,602
Quote:

I think the most economical way to do this mod is snagging up some extra napkins from McD for free! They might smell like fries though. I prefer bacon myself.

The McD napkins really make the low-end phat, flabby, and bloated IMO.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,893 of 9,602
Are you guys off your meds again?

Did someone let you out of your straightjackets?

I'm going to need samples of your brain tissue. I'm sure you won't miss an ounce or two.

:p

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,894 of 9,602
tongue.gif
 Good to see lighthearted stuff, Head-fi is too serious at times.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #1,898 of 9,602
Quote:
What would be a good amp for these? and are the q701 a big upgrade from my hd 595's? i need help please becasue im thinking about getting the q701's. message me to help please

E9, O2, M-Stage?

They are an upgrade, but they also sound different.  What are you looking for?

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #1,899 of 9,602
Oct 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,900 of 9,602
Quote:

I'd be wary of buying a used Chinet.  I've heard there are tons of counterfeits out there. 

I also heard the Chinets need A LOT of burn in to sound good, but that if you burn them in too much they will overheat and catch on fire!  Chinets R&D is working on it, but they had to recall some earlier batches.

Lately I've been experimenting trying to get a thicker sound, and I feel the best choice for that might be Brawny.

That's actually true of the HE-6 stock damping as well....or at least it'll melt with excessive burn-in.  I wouldn't worry about it, I think you're ok with Chinet
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure Brawny would be a good match for 701's.  They're a very fast headphone out of the box, and adding The Quicker Picker Upper(TM) might make them as harsh and revealing as stock HD800!

Quote:

E9, O2, M-Stage?

They are an upgrade, but they also sound different.  What are you looking for?

O2 for K/Q 70x?  Ouch.  See the Brawny comments above!
biggrin.gif
   Granted my O2 testing was with K702, and I seem to be among the few here that actually likes K702, but O2 was just nasty with it.  Good for studio work...but of that mix, that's the one I'd leave out!

Quote:
Are you guys off your meds again?
Did someone let you out of your straightjackets?
I'm going to need samples of your brain tissue. I'm sure you won't miss an ounce or two.
tongue.gif

At least I openly declared that I'm Crazy ahead of time, so it shouldn't be a surprise!
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,901 of 9,602
Man, I love this thread!
biggrin.gif

BTW, somewhere on Head Fi there is  thread where a guy named "Kouzema" (I think?) tried O2 vs. Matrix with K701

He said the O2 was too bright & the Matrix M just right.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,903 of 9,602
Quote:
O2 for K/Q 70x?  Ouch.  See the Brawny comments above!
biggrin.gif
   Granted my O2 testing was with K702, and I seem to be among the few here that actually likes K702, but O2 was just nasty with it.  Good for studio work...but of that mix, that's the one I'd leave out!

Quote:
BTW, somewhere on Head Fi there is  thread where a guy named "Kouzema" (I think?) tried O2 vs. Matrix with K701
He said the O2 was too bright & the Matrix M just right.

I guess I just listed the O2 because it was cheap. 
redface.gif

I haven't actually heard it, but it's fine to recommend stuff you've never heard before, right?   
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,904 of 9,602
Quote:

I guess I just listed the O2 because it was cheap. 
redface.gif

I haven't actually heard it, but it's fine to recommend stuff you've never heard before, right?   
evil_smiley.gif

Some will love O2 + K702 so it's safe to recomand it , i guess 
tongue.gif
, no at all want warmish / dark sound , some like it bright so 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back