Q701 impressions thread
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #1,681 of 9,602
Glad the ODAC issues are straightened out, tdockweiler. Makes me want to hear one myself. You definitely should try the O2. It's got near zero output impedance which is ideal for low impedance headphones. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #1,682 of 9,602
Quote:
Glad the ODAC issues are straightened out, tdockweiler. Makes me want to hear one myself. You definitely should try the O2. It's got near zero output impedance which is ideal for low impedance headphones. 

Yeah I'll probably grab that in the next couple of months. One of the main reasons is to replace my E9. I use a 2nd amp in my bedroom so I don't need to keep moving my Micro Amp. I like the E9, but it's soundstage is kind of weird. It's almost too large with some headphones and not in a good way. I don't know what the magic trick to do this is.

The main reason I want the O2 is to compare it to my Micro. I'm convinced i'll hear very little difference. I've had the Micro for a year and can't describe it's signature at all. When I do I'm usually describing the DAC's sound signature instead. Go me.
biggrin.gif
My Micro Amp connected to my Sansa Clip+ sounds like a... Sansa Clip. Obviously much improved, but the same general signature. I hope it's that way with the O2!

It'll be just good to have it just to know what it really sounds like..

I actually bought the Micro a long time ago for the K702 and HD-650. I was hoping it would fix the K702's treble issues, but didn't. I imagine the amp would have to be very dark to do that.
I think the Asgard is my least favorite amp I ever bought (it was my first desktop amp). Wonder why? 95% of people seem to love it. Maybe it's just not a good match for AKG stuff.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #1,683 of 9,602
Quote:
Even though I unsubscribed from this thread some pages back because it was going downhill, I thought I'd share my experience from yesterday's Montreal meet.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to add. A few pages before I unsubscribed, people compared the Q701 to the HD800, dubbing the Q701 "a poor man's HD800". Well I did try the HD800 at the meet, two of them actually. Out of all the headphones that was there, and that includes all the Audeze models and many HiFiMAN, the HD800 was the one that sounded closer to the Q701. It was also my favorite, and seems like the logical upgrade from the Q701. So I totally agree what what they said: the Q701 is a poor man's HD800.

Is he saying this thread is a bad as the Science Forum?  LOL!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Interesting comments about the HD800, that explains why I like the '800 so much.
tongue_smile.gif

Can't say I'm crazy about the T1 though.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,684 of 9,602
Wow, never realized it so much, but the HD-580 isn't too far off from my Q701.

FYI to my ears the HD-580 has slightly more forward mids and less mid-bass than the HD-600. It sounds like it has more treble too and often much clearer. I find the HD-600 more forgiving and easier on the ears. Not that I like that.
Minor differences, but enough to make me prefer the HD-580. You can get similar results with modding the HD-600 to block off more air. The more open the HD-600 is, the more bass you get. I know this is hard to believe!

So I guess it makes sense why both are my favorites.

I would say the Q701 has a much larger soundstage. HD-580 might have better imaging. Very very slightly less forward (sounding) upper mids (to my ears). I'd say maybe a little more treble.
The mids on the HD-580 are slightly thicker/fuller. The HD-580 is definitely warmer, but actually not by much. It's easy to be fooled with the Q701 and ODAC. It's very accurate to the recording. Some recordings make the Q701 sound like i'm hearing it on the HD-650. Yet the next could sound like the AD700. Still sound listenable. All thanks to the ODAC. I know this is just bizarre to hear! Both the 580 and Q701 will make recordings slightly warmer than they should be I think. I guess this is a coloration, but does anyone ever care? I think the Q701 is more accurate in this area.

I think this may be why my HD-650 sounded really congested with some material. Maybe it makes very warm recordings sound even worse? Maybe like a double whammy. Who knows. Of course I didn't have the ODAC with the HD-650.

I was just listening to some Jpop and it was quite a bit fatiguing in the mids. Both the 580 and Q701 portrayed the song in the same exact way. Equally fatiguing..really! The HD-580 didn't touch a thing! Both had the annoying vocals due to the recording.
I think both are very accurate. Now it does make me wonder if the HD-600 is taming the bad recordings or is just more accurate. I doubt this. I think the HD-600 just sounds more forgiving due to it's slightly recessed treble (IMO).

NOTE: HD-600 doesn't sound like the Q701 at all. I wanted to point this out, so people don't buy a Q701 and think it might sound similar.

Really does feel as if I gave my setup a massive upgrade and it didn't cost much.

BTW i'm pretty convinced the E9 is fairly neutral/flat. When switch amps there isn't a massive change in sound signature between that and my Micro Amp. I never use the E9 though. Even my onboard sound seems very neutral.

So yeah... ODAC is more than good for the Q701.

Want to hear something funny? You'll think i'm making this stuff up.

I verified a third time that this ODAC won't work with my desktop's usb ports.
On my HD-580 it makes the mid-bass bloated and the sound really muffled.
On my Q701 it makes it too trebly and thin!

confused_face_2.gif

I do find the HD-580 and Q701 about equally balanced. Not totally flat, but close enough for me. The Q701 has a tad extra treble and the HD-580 has slightly more mid-bass. Take your pick!

Now that i've made it to trying a whole 3 headphones with the ODAC I need to actually find time to try it with the K601. That might be flatter than the Q701. I think it might have a lower treble peak than the Q701 doesn't have.

Been listening to my music and not analyzing it. It's nice for a change.'

Oh yeah.. I want to email Tyll when he gets back and see if he wants to measure my HD-580. Always wanted to see more graphs of the HD-580 compared to the HD-600. This one is the silver screened version.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #1,688 of 9,602
Quote:
For a good amp/dac combo, I've heard that the Matrix M-Stage does very well with the Q701's. I was wondering if it would be worth it to but the M-stage over a slightly cheaper Fiio E17/E9 combo.

The E17 has a better DAC than the M-stage built-in one.  I think if you get the M-stage you should get a separate DAC.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,689 of 9,602
Quote:
For a good amp/dac combo, I've heard that the Matrix M-Stage does very well with the Q701's. I was wondering if it would be worth it to but the M-stage over a slightly cheaper Fiio E17/E9 combo.

How about the ODAC/E9....or the ODAC/O2? Has anyone tried either with the Q701....or the 'k'?

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,690 of 9,602
Quote:
How about the ODAC/E9....or the ODAC/O2? Has anyone tried either with the Q701....or the 'k'?

E9 + ODAC is a good match. It gets my approval as a budget setup. No problems at all really.
Now there's probably some that will come in and claim the 10 ohm output is too high, but not for the Q701.

I think the E9 is quite neutral. Obviously not as much as the O2, but you never know....

(note: Q701 should be used with the large jack ONLY!!)

I also tried the K702 with the E9 and it's good, but still had that annoying treble.

Of course my favorite amp for the Q701/K601 is the Headroom Micro Amp. That thing seems to play well with all my headphones fortunately.
Someday i'll compare it to the M-Stage and O2. I'm pretty convinced it's not going to be that much more colored than the O2.

BTW I wonder why people say E10+E9 is a bad match and would recess the mids? I can't figure that one out. I did however hate the E7 with the E9, but for the Q701 only.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #1,692 of 9,602
Quote:
Yeah Im not really impressed with the E7/E9 set up.  I also listen to way too many genres for the Q701s, you think I would be better off replacing them with HD600s matched with the E7 and E9?  

No, I would first try a different source perhaps. Even a full sized CD player. Believe it or not i'd even prefer the X-Fi Go Pro as a DAC ($35) to the E7. It's very flat sounding and pretty impressive for the price.
Believe it or not my onboard sound is actually quite good. I was surprised how good the REALTEK HD soundcard I have is. Sounds similar to my X-Fi Go Pro.

IMO the Q701 is ever bit as good as an all rounder as the HD-600. The HD-600 just has more mid-bass and less treble. I'm just constantly annoyed by this, but some people prefer it.
I do love my HD-580 though
biggrin.gif

Unrelated note:

Still haven't heard the Q701 as good as it's sounding right now. ODAC was definitely worth the price. Too bad I had to sell my HRT for $85 after Amazon Commission and shipping. UGH. Why am I so dumb?
These days due to this crappy economy I can't buy any new stuff until I sell what I already have.

I also found out my amp has a 0.5 ohm output impedance. Thought it was like 5. Guess that's a huge plus for the Q701.

Also found out the Clip+ to Total Airhead is quite nice. That'd make for an ultra cheap budget setup for the Q701. I was actually wowed with the soundstage despite it being a portable amp.
Being able to use the Q701 around the house is a huge plus! Too bad the Airhead is too awkward sometimes for putting inside your pocket.

I've found though that any portable players with a LOD cable is a complete fail for the Q701. I guess the Q701 needs the extra power from the portable player too. Doesn't seem to degrade the audio at all just using headphone out to amp.

I also just did some calculations and the K400/K500 require the same amounts of power. The next easiest AKG to drive (going by specs) is the K601 and then the Q701. I swear the K601 needs more volume on my amp, but I guess not.

My jaw dropped when I calculated the power requirements for the AKG K240 Sextett. It's worse than the HE-500, K400/501 and LCD2/3 apparently. Doesn't seem like it.

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,693 of 9,602
Quote:

There is a thread out there where someone with K701s compared the O2 with the Matrix M.
He prefered the M.
His opinion was that the O2 was too analytical for the Ks and the Matrix added just the right touch of warmth.

Keep in mind that the discrete output stage of the Matrix does not have feedback applied to it, so maybe he just enjoy the added distortion.
redface.gif

When I get some time I will try to track it down, or you can do a search.

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #1,694 of 9,602
tdockweiler: My jaw dropped when I calculated the power requirements for the AKG K240 Sextett. It's worse than the HE-500, K400/501 and LCD2/3 apparently. Doesn't seem like it.

My k240DF is by far the most power hungry. It's my only headphone that needs high gain on the O2. I guess that's to be expected since it's 600ohms like the sextett. They do sound great with that amp, though they border on being too sibilant on occasion.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,695 of 9,602
Quote:

There is a thread out there where someone with K701s compared the O2 with the Matrix M.
He prefered the M.
His opinion was that the O2 was too analytical for the Ks and the Matrix added just the right touch of warmth.

Keep in mind that the discrete output stage of the Matrix does not have feedback applied to it, so maybe he just enjoy the added distortion.
redface.gif

When I get some time I will try to track it down, or you can do a search.

That's probably due to the shortcomings of the headphone rather than the O2 amp which has near zero output impedance and is supposed to be basically a 'wire with gain'. I like the O2/gamma1 combination that I've got. But I'm a bit curious what the ODAC would bring to the table in terms of even better detail/clarity, and if it would even be noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back