Q701 impressions thread
Aug 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,562 of 9,602
I have contacted Harman and bhphotovideo.

When unboxing the Q701, the green seal was present and it showed no signs of being opened before. They look like they're brand new. I want to believe that it was the fault of the factory worker.

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #1,566 of 9,602
Quote:
So Q701 + Audinst HUD-MX1 for about 420$ mainly for gaming, won't regret it?

If they're mainly for gaming, I'd go with a soundcard with some surround DSPs over a stereo amp/dac box. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #1,567 of 9,602
Quote:
Has anyone received a single cable with their Q701 purchase? I did and for some odd reason it's been bothering me.

Not good.
frown.gif

I received two cables:
both green
10 feet and 20 feet.
I thought it would be excessive, but the 20 footer is surprisingly useful!
I would complain to AKG!

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,569 of 9,602
Quote:

You don't have many choice , some of Asus Xonar line up with (dolby Headphone) or creative based cards (CMSS 3D) . And later an amp to improve things with Q701 (peraphs you will realy like to listen music from it)

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,570 of 9,602
Quote:
Has anyone found these to have a bit of a mid bass hump? These don't have much sub bass or impact without any EQ, but I found the mid bass to be a bit much for me. I really like these cans, but I usually bump up the bass below 80hz, tone down the bass from 100-250hz and then slightly tone down the treble in the 8-10khz range.

No - these are pretty smooth to me and does have decent sub-bass extension. Even with bass boost, I don't get that attenuated mid-bass hump.

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,572 of 9,602
Quote:

Not good.
frown.gif

I received two cables:
both green
10 feet and 20 feet.
I thought it would be excessive, but the 20 footer is surprisingly useful!
I would complain to AKG!

I got the 10 feet green (with the 1/4 inch screw-on adapter). I have watched many unboxing videos and I saw that both cables are on the underneath of the box where the headphone is tied to. There was only one on mine. I am very satisfied with the Q701, but I want my 20 feet cable. Harman hasn't responded, I think they will respond on monday.

I do hope it was an error of the factory worker and that I haven't received a returned headphone or refurbished or otherwise.
The green seal was perfect though, and the headphones themselves were looking and smelling like brand new.

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #1,573 of 9,602
Quote:
[size=x-small]ASUS Xonar DG[/size] and E10 would be good?

You can't plug the E10's USB connection into the Asus Xonar DG, but the E11 will plug into the Xonar DG.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #1,574 of 9,602
Quote:
[size=x-small]ASUS Xonar DG[/size] and E10 would be good?

The E10 is a DAC, it has no analog audio input, so it cannot be used to amplify the signal out of the sound card. The Xonar DG already has an NE5532 opamp on the line out (the green connector), which might be enough to drive the Q701 properly. Better than nothing, anyways. If I were you, I'd buy the sound card and see if it's enough on it's own. You can buy an amplifier later if you want to.

Note that a USB DAC like the E10 cannot decode Dolby Headphones, so you need to use the analog out of the sound card in order to have virtual surround.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,575 of 9,602
I'm surprised to see that the Q701s are an improvement to the K701s in EVERY way... even when a company tweaks the driver, there are always some small flaws that's brought in. A bit unrealistic if you ask me. I had the chance to audition the Q701s not too long ago, along with many other headphones. Here is my somewhat negative impression of the Q701s. However, I do acknowledge the possibility of having listened to a "bad" Q701 since the production of these headphones are apparently not consistent (like LCD-2). Nevertheless, I don't think the differences are to the point where one person will label the Q701 as good and another as bad. 

First of all, there are a lot of people posting about the similarity between the Q701 and the HD-598. I can see the reasons behind the comparison (price, soundstage, bass neutral/lean) , but to me they are very different; the former sounds extremely unnatural while the latter is one of the most natural headphones I've heard. 

The reason why I can't stand the Q701 is its soundstage. Funny because that's the characteristic that distinguishes it from all its other competitors. The soundstage is VERY wide, the widest I've heard. However,it has very little depth, and poorly pinpoints the location of every instrument. This isn't obvious for most pop music, but if you focus on certain types of music, the issue becomes obvious. Instrumental separation is - any many claims - good. But then again, I don't expect anything less from a $200+ headphone. The HD-598 by far has the superior soundstage. In fact, the best soundstage of any headphones I've tried (though I've yet to try the HD-800). It is not only wide and tall, but DEEP and is very realistic in its imaging. Vocals never sound distant due to its full and forwardish- midrange. I would actually take the Senn HD 6xx series - despite their far smaller soundstage - because it has more of a core to it, and therefore, engagement. 

That brings up another point: timbre. Q701s have a somewhat plastic timbre to it. You get used to it after listening to it for long periods of time, but when compared side to side with other headphones, it becomes obvious that it's on the thin side. I found the Q701 to sound more clear than the HD598 but I think the difference in clarity was due to it sounding more thin. I found the 598 to sound more... "musical". Tonality wise, the 598 is FAR more balanced while the Q701s have more treble emphasis (which sort of takes away from the mids) and skewed towards upper mids (decent for female vocals). 

The Q701s are a very attractive looking headphone, and is actually quite comfortable. The headbands do hurt but despite that, the clamping force is decent and I preferred it over, say, the HD-650. I did enjoy them for certain classical tracks; it was interesting to hear things from a different soundstage view. However, my concern for them is that they do not work for other genres as well. I felt that their biggest strength was their midrange and to some extent, their bass. I could barely hear the bass but the texture was decent for that level of quantity. But still, I expected more from an AKG flagship, and what people consider a "hi-fi" headphone. I'll take the "mid-fi" 598s over the Q701s anyday. 

P.S. don't take my criticism too personally. If you enjoy the Q701s now, there is no reason to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back