Q701 impressions thread
Jul 24, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #1,546 of 9,602
Quote:
hey im getting these for mainly portable listening and gaming, i was wondering was portable amp to get, im looking at the fiio e17 alpen at the moment or maybe a cheaper e7, also i was wondering if these were good for dubstep, i usually use my crappy $30 htf600's to listen to it because cheap headphones are usually the only ones that can produced the muddy impactful bass good for dubstep.... so plz respond thanks!

These are a strange choice for portable phones since they are open. I also wouldn't choose these for dubstep. The HTF600s after burn-in and the ear pad mod will be a better choice for bass heavy music genres. You might want to consider some Ultrasones which will be just as portable as these but will have the sound signature made for bass found in electronic music. You can also get closed cans so that they will be good for portable listening. The Ultrasones also have S-Logic which create a nice soundstage for the closed cans. I don't know how they actually perform when used for gaming though.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #1,547 of 9,602
Q701 for portable use: No

First of, they are HUGE. Second, they don't hold very well on your head. They are also open design, so they won't cut out any outside noise, and everybody around you will hear what you listen to. And with their design, they can't just me thrown inside a backpack. They'll get bent and stuff will get stuck where it should not. Really not a good choice.

Q701 for Dubstep: No

Just don't do it. You'll regret your buy at the first listen. These cant reproduce the wub wub, and so are very boring with Dubstep. I kept my modified SRH440 only for Dubstep and other bass centered music.

I don't have the experience to recommend you another model, but I can recommend you against the Q701 for the use you will make of them. Closed-back headphones are what you should look for.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #1,548 of 9,602
Quote:
Q701 for portable use: No

First of, they are HUGE. Second, they don't hold very well on your head. They are also open design, so they won't cut out any outside noise, and everybody around you will hear what you listen to. And with their design, they can't just me thrown inside a backpack. They'll get bent and stuff will get stuck where it should not. Really not a good choice.

Q701 for Dubstep: No

Just don't do it. You'll regret your buy at the first listen. These cant reproduce the wub wub, and so are very boring with Dubstep. I kept my modified SRH440 only for Dubstep and other bass centered music.

I don't have the experience to recommend you another model, but I can recommend you against the Q701 for the use you will make of them. Closed-back headphones are what you should look for.

+1
This was what I was trying to say

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,549 of 9,602
Quote:
hey im getting these for mainly portable listening and gaming, i was wondering was portable amp to get, im looking at the fiio e17 alpen at the moment or maybe a cheaper e7, also i was wondering if these were good for dubstep, i usually use my crappy $30 htf600's to listen to it because cheap headphones are usually the only ones that can produced the muddy impactful bass good for dubstep.... so plz respond thanks!

Someone already mentioned this, but the only portable use for the q701 is around the house. Not outside or in public unless you've got a screw loose.

The E11 can drive the Q701 decently as long as you use the headphone out from your player and not a line out cable. The Q701 needs the extra power from both amps. It actually doesn't hurt the sound.
Total Airhead is also good.

Believe it or not the Q701 is slightly easier to drive (or just gets louder) compared to the K702. I actually used the K702 for 3 years with just the Airhead. I had no clue and it even sounded good, but would clip if I cranked it too high.
Right now it's almost impossible for me to get clipping (red blink) on the Airhead with the Q701. I got it once in several hours.

I don't suggest buying the Q701 with just a portable amp. Even an E9 beats the crap out of any portable amp with the Q701 (use the larger jack only).

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #1,551 of 9,602
Has anyone found these to have a bit of a mid bass hump? These don't have much sub bass or impact without any EQ, but I found the mid bass to be a bit much for me. I really like these cans, but I usually bump up the bass below 80hz, tone down the bass from 100-250hz and then slightly tone down the treble in the 8-10khz range.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,552 of 9,602
Sometimes. It's odd. I don't find the Q701 bassy at all, but there are times when that mid bass really hits. The Q701 I found to hold some great potential for bass boosting. The bass is incredibly tight and textured.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,553 of 9,602
Quote:
Sometimes. It's odd. I don't find the Q701 bassy at all, but there are times when that mid bass really hits. The Q701 I found to hold some great potential for bass boosting. The bass is incredibly tight and textured.

Ya, I definitely wouldn't call it bassy, but it's almost like there is a bloated bass feeling on some songs. Glad to hear that I'm not alone . I do love them regardless.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #1,554 of 9,602
I don't think there is a problem with them at all for dubstep and other electronica. I listen to a lot of it, and find the Q and K701s do a great job.  The bass is there, it is clear, it is not over emphasized.  I still would not recommend them for portable.  I have my kids singing along sometimes to what I am listening to when I have them on.  There is certainly sound leakage
As for sensitivity on the Qs, I don't find them any more sensitive than my 6 year old K701s. Either the 702s were even harder to drive, or something else is going on there.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,555 of 9,602
Quote:
I am not sure about the FiiO E17's output capabilities. It may not have the juice to properly drive your AKGs (perhaps others know?).  I have the K702s which are essentially the same as the Q701s and I played a test signal:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Why don't you try it and see?

I cannot hear 10 Hz, I hear 20 Hz but it is there, but is attenuated. 30 Hz and above is quite clear.  These impressions are consistent with the frequency response observations of the K702s where they are -8 dB at 10 Hz (which is below human hearing range or infrasonic) and are at -5 dB at 20 Hz which is the threshold of human hearing.  By the time you reach 30 Hz, they stay within +/- 2dB of flat to 100 Hz.   Now the Denon's which you prefer are also at -8 dB at 10 Hz and are at flat at 20 Hz and are boosted +3 dB from 30 to 60 Hz and slope to + 2 dB between 70-100 Hz.  So they will always have a more pronounced bass than the AKGs.

The AKGs are +/- 3 dB between 30-100 Hz which covers my bass listening needs.  The Denons that you prefer are +2-3 dB across the same range. I think the attenuation at 20 Hz on the AKGs of -5 dB vs. the flat output from the Denons is what you may be noticing as well, but there is not a lot of music down below 30 Hz in my experience. Now there are some pipe organs that can produce a 20 Hz tone, a piano can produce 27.5 Hz and a 5 string bass is at 30 Hz. I find the AKGs have ample bass performance to reproduce almost any musical passage.

I prefer their response between 100-10,000 Hz.  The Denons attenuate between 1000-10,000 Hz.  Some folks may prefer this as well.  Perhaps you do.  There is no right or wrong here, just euphonic preference.

My $.02

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your detailed, informative response. I did go to the site and your observations pretty much sum it for me, too. I'm totally appreciating the Q701 more and more. It did take more tweaking - but definitely learned a lot in the process. That makes the whole experience even more rewarding :)

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,557 of 9,602
Quote:
About to buy those big boys, what Should I get to drive them (No need for portable use) ?

I'm currently using onboard audio, so was wondering if an DAC/AMP should I get or a PCIe soundcard?

The Asus Xonar Essence STX & ST sound cards come with about as good a headphone amplifier you can get built into a sound card.
Or get a used Asus Xonar DX or D1 and just get whatever external headphone amplifier you like.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,560 of 9,602
Quote:
How about Titanium HD?

Good audio quality and gaming sound card, but does not come with a true headphone amplifier.
but still does a fairly good job of powering headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back