Q701 impressions thread
Jun 24, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #1,321 of 9,602
I think a 5/1 ratio of amp price/headphone price is generally a good place to start. 

Chico, please,
I estimate that the Bryston BHA-1 will output approx. 3 Watts into a pair of Q701s, is this enough power to drive a pair of Q701s properly? :p
Or do I need more power?:o:

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,323 of 9,602
Quote:
Chico, please,
I estimate that the Bryston BHA-1 will output approx. 3 Watts into a pair of Q701s, is this enough power to drive a pair of Q701s properly?
tongue.gif

Or do I need more power?
redface.gif
:

Well, you may get enough volume from them, but volume doesn't mean their being driven properly. 
wink.gif

You see, this is because the Q701s are low sensitivity, and unlike every other headphone available their drivers have unlimited potential to improve as they receive more and more power. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #1,324 of 9,602
I have to say my Q701s are sounding a little better as time goes by.  My view on them up to this point is, very very good movie headphone, certain songs sound pretty good.  I find slower, more vocal type music sounds pretty dam good, but faster music, like rock, zepplin, etc, dont seem to sound all that good.  I find rock music in general so far on these to be harsh, not a tight refined sound.  On the other side of the coin, slower music sounds really good, female vocals are outstanding, where male vocals i think lack a little.  I love the bass on these cans, this i will say, the bass is exactly what im looking for.

I think when my E9 shows up things can only improve.  I am finding longs sessions with the Q701s uncomfortable, the headband is digging into my skull, the ear cups foam seems a little stiff for my taste.  Im guessing the i could get used the earcups, but the headband for longs sessions needs a fix.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,325 of 9,602
As I mentioned before, get some leather conditioner and rub it in a few times, that will soften it up. I use saddle soap and it does the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiebing-SOAP81T003Z-Saddle-Soap-Paste/dp/B001CS6HH4

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,328 of 9,602
Since we're talking about amps, I have the FiiO e10 and I'm planning to get the K701/Q701. I know, it's a cheap dac/amp, but I'm only an entry-level head-fier who's only had headphones that didn't need amplication.

Is the e10 good enough? I ask because I only have around $300 and if I need a more expensive amp I don't think I can afford both...

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,329 of 9,602
Oh, and I take back what I said about the E10 being my favorite pairing. I was comparing the E10 and the P650 and the latter gave them a good amount more "fullness" than the E10. I remember I found the M-Stage and the P650 very similar, with the M-Stage having the edge. So I guess my favorite combo was the HRT and M-Stage, but it definitely wasn't a "head and shoulders" difference, nevertheless, a pretty good investment if the Q701 is your sound.

Quote:
You just got them... o_O

Yeah, right?

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #1,330 of 9,602
Quote:
Since we're talking about amps, I have the FiiO e10 and I'm planning to get the K701/Q701. I know, it's a cheap dac/amp, but I'm only an entry-level head-fier who's only had headphones that didn't need amplication.

Is the E10 good enough? I ask because I only have around $300 and if I need a more expensive amp I don't think I can afford both...

What source(s) are you going to be plugging your DAC/Amp (like the E10) into?

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,331 of 9,602
Quote:

Well, you may get enough volume from them, but volume doesn't mean their being driven properly. 
wink.gif

You see, this is because the Q701s are low sensitivity, and unlike every other headphone available their drivers have unlimited potential to improve as they receive more and more power. 

Have you ever seen a politician improve as he receives more and more power?
angry_face.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,333 of 9,602
Thanks for all your help guys, i have thrown in the towel on the Q701s, i played with them for hours on end last night, and i do see some very good things about them, but ultimately there not what i want.  The comfort level is just not there, anything over 20 mins and they hurting, and the sound is just not quite there, thanks again for everybodys help, time to try some new cans.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #1,334 of 9,602
Next up, try the HE-300s. Their new revision is stellar for the price.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,335 of 9,602
Well, after going through and reading up on what "high end" headphones I should dive into I've decided the q701's sound like what I've been looking for. 
I've got a pair on order and can't wait for them to arrive ^.^

(now I just need to burn some money getting a more suitable amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back