Q701 impressions thread
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #901 of 9,602
Just got received a white Q701 today. Without a doubt, the absolute best looking headphone I've ever owned!

I have white too. They are sexy, aren't they?

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #902 of 9,602

Quote:

Thanks guys, I'll check them out. Can I still use my E10 as a DAC if I another amp? I mean the E10 itself is an amp itself, will it interfere with another amp? With E10+O2/M-Stage will the Q701 become brighter than only with E10? I'm aware that O2 is battery powered, can I use it while charging? Sorry if I'm asking too much because I can't audition them and I have to buy them online.

I'm pretty sure the e10 can be used as DAC only, bypassing the internal amp which would work fine with any amp of your choice. You can use the O2 off either AC or batteries, you just have to pay a bit extra for the AC power adapter.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #903 of 9,602
Well after a little bit of drama, I have a good pair of Q701's.  I bought a set off ebay a month ago for about $185 shipped.  They turned out to be bad - one side would go in and out.  I even bought a new cable and it had the same issue.  

I ordered a another one on ebay that was from a very reputable seller.  it was only 6 months old and still in original packaging.  It's working perfectly.  Cost me $211 shipped.  

Although the first seller said no returns, ebay gave me a full refund.  Phew!  I thought I was going to have to sell it at a big loss. 

/cool story 

edit: I sent the defective headphones back in order to get the refund.  (I was getting pm's about the broken headphones)  =D

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #904 of 9,602

Quote:

Thanks guys, I'll check them out. Can I still use my E10 as a DAC if I another amp? I mean the E10 itself is an amp itself, will it interfere with another amp? With E10+O2/M-Stage will the Q701 become brighter than only with E10? I'm aware that O2 is battery powered, can I use it while charging? Sorry if I'm asking too much because I can't audition them and I have to buy them online.

You just use the line out on the E10 and plug into another amps line in.  I can't speak for the O2 but the M-stage won't be much brighter.  Most noticeably it will have better soundstage and dynamics compared to the E10 alone.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #905 of 9,602
Quote:
You just use the line out on the E10 and plug into another amps line in.  I can't speak for the O2 but the M-stage won't be much brighter.  Most noticeably it will have better soundstage and dynamics compared to the E10 alone.

So the Q701 will still get brighter using the M-Stage? I thought it supposed to make it warmer as derbigpr said that M-stage is a warm sounding amp.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #906 of 9,602

The e10 amp may be even warmer than the m-stage, making the m-stage sound relatively bright coming from the e10
Quote:
Quote:

So the Q701 will still get brighter using the M-Stage? I thought it supposed to make it warmer as derbigpr said that M-stage is a warm sounding amp.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #907 of 9,602

Quote:
Quote:

The differences between the two should be minor. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #908 of 9,602
I personally think that the black looks absolutely stunning. I have the green (not so attractive) and while I love the design, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #909 of 9,602
Well well if E10 is warmer than M-Stage I think I'll pair my Q701 and E10 with O2 since it's colorless so I can use the color of my DAC. I like the current sound that my E10 and Q701 is producing. It's clear enough but not too bright that cause me fatigue.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #910 of 9,602

Quote:
Well well if E10 is warmer than M-Stage I think I'll pair my Q701 and E10 with O2 since it's colorless so I can use the color of my DAC. I like the current sound that my E10 and Q701 is producing. It's clear enough but not too bright that cause me fatigue.

Wouldn't the E10 + O2 be brighter than E10 + M-stage (since O2 is supposedly neutral and M-stage is slightly warm).  Regardless, I think your making the differences out to be bigger than they actually are.  They're all solid-state amps and the variation between "warm" solid-state and "neutral" solid state is pretty freaking small IMO. 

I'm not sure if the O2 will match the soundstage and dynamics of the M-stage (or future ODA), but if you go that route let us know how it compares to the E10 alone
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #911 of 9,602
If the O2 is as bright as the E9, it doesn't make for a good amp for the Q701. A slightly soft sounding amp would be best for it, as it has quite a peak in the mid/upper treble that is quite obvious off the E9. My NFB5 has no issue with it (it has a slight softening in the treble like I assume the MStage has.)

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #912 of 9,602
Headfonia reviewed the O2: http://www.headfonia.com/nwavguys-objective-2-by-jdslabs-and-epiphany-acoustics/

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #913 of 9,602
That review sounds exactly like I thought it would.

The main thing I take from it which I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with, is that just because it measure well, doesn't mean it will be good for you.

People need to stop focusing on measurements, and on what they actually hear.

Looks like the O2 would be something I wouldn't enjoy at all.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #914 of 9,602
I think the O2 is just an akward design and size.  All the plugs and inputs are on the front, and it's sort of in-between a desktop amp and a portable amp but not really either.

It doesn't sound like a great match for the x70x either based on the review...

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #915 of 9,602

Quote:
I think the O2 is just an akward design and size.  All the plugs and inputs are on the front, and it's sort of in-between a desktop amp and a portable amp but not really either.

It doesn't sound like a great match for the x70x either based on the review...

My thoughts exactly. It's trying to be both a portable and a desktop amplifier. Awkward is the right word.

And indeed, it doesn't sound like a good match for the AKG 700 series. It would just make their sound more pronounced : less midrange, less bass. More highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back