Q701 impressions thread
Mar 2, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #646 of 9,602
BTW are there any headphones out there with elevated sub-bass but no mid-bass hump? I know there's possible the DT-770 Pro 80. Anything else?>

Sums up the Denon D7000 quite nicely. Power low end, not very powerful mid bass, and everything else is stellar. Perfect for me, as mid bass can get to be a bit much on other cans. Even the Q701 has more mid bass, to me.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #647 of 9,602

Quote:
Oh so true. These feel so natural. I can't wait for the diaphragm to loosen up to maximize its potential and listening experience. 

I would think that the diaphragn loosing up would be the only reason why burn-in affects the sound.
I think the concept of cable burn-in is a bit flaky. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #648 of 9,602

Quote:
The Q701 sounds great off the E9.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I'm running my Q701s off of an E7/E9 combo and it sounds great.  I think the E9 is a fairly neutral amp for the most part.  I remember a fairly noticeable sound difference in the lower tonal spectrum when switching from low gain to high gain with my Sennheiser HD650s, but not as big of a difference on the Q701s though.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #650 of 9,602

Quote:
Can someone please recommend the cheapest possible recable for the Q701?   

Going the DIY route. Zombie X cables also seem to be the cheapest option available that I've looked at. You'll have to PM him though, as his website is currently down for maintenance.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #652 of 9,602

Quote:
Can someone please recommend the cheapest possible recable for the Q701?   

I like this one found here: (don't work for them etc)
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

Probably uses a generic Belden wire. Sounds pretty good, but not as warm as the Q701's stock cable. A little more cold and analytical, which I don't want with the Q701.
I want to find a clone of the stock cable that retains it's slightly warm sound, but improves it. Cardas stuff is too expensive for me.

I've been too lazy and want to make one with Canare just to see how it sounds..

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #654 of 9,602
How does the Q701 pair with quality tube amplification?  If I decide to buy a pair, I will be driving them with a Cary SLI-80 Signature F1, Direct Coupled, Zero NFB, All Triode Edition.

I don't know if the EF5 counts as "quality" tube amplification, but they sound very good with mine.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #655 of 9,602

Quote:
Going the DIY route. Zombie X cables also seem to be the cheapest option available that I've looked at. You'll have to PM him though, as his website is currently down for maintenance.

Zombie wanted over $100.  I guess I'll look into the diy route...  Will these work?

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Speaker-Wire-Cable-Bulk/Canare-Corporation-Of-America/4S8-BLACK200M.xhtml?4S8

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/1-4in-Phone-Connectors/REAN-a-Brand-of-Neutrik-AG/NYS228BG.xhtml

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/REAN-a-Brand-of-Neutrik-AG/RT3FC-B.xhtml?RT3FC-B

If I should get something different, please let me know.  How hard is it to put this together?  Looks like it's going to cost about $8.    

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #656 of 9,602

That wire he uses is even expensive in bulk if you DIY. At least $80 just for the wire for some reason.
Depends on what you go with.

All those items should work. The Canare is very warm though. I actually prefer Mogami found here:
http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Bulk-Audio-Cable/Mogami-Wire-Cable-Corp/W2893-00-E.xhtml?2893

It's also much easier to remove the metal braiding on the Mogami.

Those mini-XLR plugs are a pain in the butt to solder if you don't have a vise or "helping hands" (which are junk anyway). I'd suggest getting a couple plugs just to be safe.
The versions I had broke easily.

Making a K702 cable to me was actually harder than recabling my HD-598.

You can also contact a company called "Blue Jeans Cable" to make you a custom Q701 cable. They might even be able to make one with Canare or Mogami.
Some poster here said they used Belden. I imagine it will cost under $40.
Quote:
Zombie wanted over $100.  I guess I'll look into the diy route...  Will these work?

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Speaker-Wire-Cable-Bulk/Canare-Corporation-Of-America/4S8-BLACK200M.xhtml?4S8

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/1-4in-Phone-Connectors/REAN-a-Brand-of-Neutrik-AG/NYS228BG.xhtml

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/REAN-a-Brand-of-Neutrik-AG/RT3FC-B.xhtml?RT3FC-B

If I should get something different, please let me know.  How hard is it to put this together?  Looks like it's going to cost about $8.    

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #657 of 9,602
What up, batches!

Just picked up a pair of Q701's to audition. I also have a Schiit Lyr and HD650's on the way.

Right now I'm driving the Qs with my Onkyo TX-SR805 fed by my iphone 4s.

Really enjoying them over my Senn HD280 Pros. It took a little getting used to. The Senns seemed like they had fuller mids at first but I think a lot of it was getting used to a sound that was far less muddy. (Elvis Costello's This Years Model sounded a little anemic on the Qs.)

With the Q's, there are definitely genres and albums that shine over others. Acoustic-based music that has a lot of space in it seems to fair better than layers upon layers of driving electric instruments. They also really expose poorly engineered and produced albums. And that pisses me off! LOL If I stick with the Q's I KNOW I won't listen to some albums nearly as much. HACKS! All in all, I think I need some more time with them and the HD650s to really sort out their strengths.

Right now I'm listening to K.D. Lang's Ingenue. Holy fracking schlitz it sounds good! Can't wait to get my hands on the Lyr. I wonder how much it will change the experience.

I'm also really interested to see how the HD650's handle genres like Rock and Pop.

Until next time, batches!

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #658 of 9,602

Quote:
What up, batches!

Just picked up a pair of Q701's to audition. I also have a Schiit Lyr and HD650's on the way.

Right now I'm driving the Qs with my Onkyo TX-SR805 fed by my iphone 4s.

Really enjoying them over my Senn HD280 Pros. It took a little getting used to. The Senns seemed like they had fuller mids at first but I think a lot of it was getting used to a sound that was far less muddy. (Elvis Costello's This Years Model sounded a little anemic on the Qs.)

With the Q's, there are definitely genres and albums that shine over others. Acoustic-based music that has a lot of space in it seems to fair better than layers upon layers of driving electric instruments. They also really expose poorly engineered and produced albums. And that pisses me off! LOL If I stick with the Q's I KNOW I won't listen to some albums nearly as much. HACKS! I think I need some more time with them and the HD650s to really sort out their strengths.

Right now I'm listening to K.D. Lang's Ingenue. Holy fracking schlitz it sounds good! Can't wait to get my hands on the Lyr. I wonder how much it will change the experience.

I'm also really interested to see how the HD650's handle genres like Rock and Pop.

Until next time, batches!

I've heard that the Lyr and the Q701 are supposed to be a match made in heaven, and I can't wait to hear your impressions, hopefully.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #659 of 9,602
Ok, my Q701 have over 150 hours in them now, about 100 of those hours playing bass heavy and extremely dynamic music on very high volumes...I thought I'd give some impressions again.   First of all, I now definitely don't believe in burn-in. I hear no changes whatsoever in sound.  There are changes most probably, but they're so minor its not worth mentioning them, and are probably only barely noticeable when A-B comparing a brand new and a burned in pair of headphones.  The thing that has improved is comfort. With about 50 hours total on on my head, they're now extremely comfortable, almost non-existent clamping force and extremely light feel. However, I do feel that damn headband after an hour or so, so I have to adjust it, but its not a big deal. HD650's require adjusting every 20 minutes because of their tightness. 

Now...about sound. As I said, no major changes compared to out of the box sound. However, now that I spent more time listening to them, I found a couple of things in general that I didn't notice at first:

1) I find them to be very sibilant and overly bright with almost all music. BUT, that brightness is only there when using them with Little Dot Mk5 amp,  when plugging then directly into Xonar ST, there's no sibilance or brightness, but there's also much less sound stage, accuracy, instrument separation, worse imaging.... Little Dot just makes the sound better than straight out of ST, although overall not especially great. These headphones reveal nicely that Little Dot Mk5 is an entry level amp.

2) Not a good amp + hp combo if you ask me.  Mk5 seems to have a very hard time running these headphones. High output impedance I guess. I find myself turning the knob to 100% with some recordings and still not getting the volume I'd like, while on HD650 I never ever go above 70% when listening to music.

3) I'd like more warmth and slightly more bass presence in everything apart from electronic music.  Yes, sounds weird? I find them to have just the right amount of bass and great punch (almost on HD650 level) with trance, like Infected Mushroom for example,  but I find them lacking bass impact in rock, pop, etc...and they lack some fullness with vocals, instrumentals, jazz, classical. They do indeed tend to sound thin, especially directly compared to HD650.

4)These headphones sound very good technically...very fast, accurate, clear, detailed (although not more detailed than HD650, its just an illusion because of excessive brightness)...but somewhat boring. Even less involving than HD650's, which I already consider boring, but at least you'd expect HD650's to be boring, because they're laid back and smooth, Q701's are not laid back or smooth.  Its kind of weird, they manage to be somewhat fatiguing and very forward sounding, but at the same time not involving. However, their accuracy and clarity makes up for it.

5) Sound stage is weird. IMHO, HD650's have a much better sound stage for music. I don't know whether its due to my source and amp, but Q701's seem to have a very left-right sound stage. Wide, but without any feel of depth whatsoever. All the sound seems to come from the sides, and even from behind sometimes,  no matter how far forward on my head I wear them. They also don't seem to have a very big soundstage when listening to music. Actually pretty small, smaller than HD650 or HD558,  not much bigger than HD438, which are closed <100 dollar headphones. I really don't know why AKG 701 series has a reputation of having a great soundstage, thats by far the worst thing about them if you ask me.

But, everything I mentioned can probably be sorted with a more powerful slightly darker sounding SS amp with smaller output impedance.

Overall, great headphones for the price. They compare nicely with HD650's, even when we consider that Mk5 and HD650 are a match made in heaven sonically.  I'd say they sound better than HD650's with vocals, some instrumental recordings, some jazz and some classical, trance,  games, movies. With rock, pop, metal, etc. they're about equal, depends on recording...  Oh and yes,  some records that sounds like crap with Q701 sound decent on HD650.

Another thing that bothers me is something I expected to be the advantage of having both of these headphones.  At first they sounded similar, but now they're worlds apart in their character.  It takes time to get used to each of them.  When listening to Q701 for an hour or two, and then putting on the HD650's, they sound very dark.  When going from HD650 to Q701, they're unbearably bright for a few minutes.  The point is, as my mood for music changes and I change the headphones, I first have to wait a few minutes for my ears to adapt to new sound, which is annoying.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #660 of 9,602

Quote:
I've heard that the Lyr and the Q701 are supposed to be a match made in heaven, and I can't wait to hear your impressions, hopefully.

Indeed it is.. at least to my ears. I've been lost in my music since the Lyr arrived.  My D7 did a good job of showing me what the Q's were all about, but the Lyr really makes them sing.  My current setup has quenched my upgraditis for sure.  I may roll in some different tubes in the future, but the NOS GE's sound fabulous to me.  While it may not be the absolute best gear out there, it's the best I've owned and it fits my preferred sound signature almost perfectly.  I haven't critically listened to/for anything (in reference to my gear) lately, I've just been enjoying my music... and that says it all for me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back