Q701 impressions thread
Feb 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #586 of 9,602

Quote:
Bigger than 1%, more like 10% IMO.

I think the 10% is correct too. The K702 just isn't as fun to listen to, but still good (I did prefer the K601). 1% difference is just crazy...
We'd have to all be morons to get a Q701 for a 1% difference and even go as far as post in it's own thread.
biggrin.gif

To me, it feels just wrong to even post in the other thread since it really just sounds like a totally different headphone. You say your new Q701 is nice and warm sounding and they'll laugh you right out of there...

I think the difference is actually much greater than going from an HD-580 (stock) to the HD-600. Even the HD-600 to HD-650. I would say it's similar to the HD-555 to the HD-598.
People say there is no way anyone who hates the K702 could like the Q701, but now I don't think this is true. Maybe.

10% might even be too low. No, seriously..I just don't want anyone going out and selling their K702's and getting a Q701 and being disappointed.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #588 of 9,602

Quote:
Bigger than 1%, more like 10% IMO.

You are way out of line!
Get a grip!
It is closer to 8.73582%
I'll send you the calculations to prove it, if you like. Schmuck!
tongue.gif

BTW,  for all you laptop owners, iBasso D12 sounds very, very nice with the Q701s! Compared to the M Stage, you give up a smudge of bass IMPACT and drive.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #589 of 9,602
I say 10% as well. Same sound with a touch more warmth, body, and midbass. Like a very mild EQ.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #590 of 9,602
I don't like the K702s but I love the Q701s, it's much more than 1%.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #591 of 9,602
Travis,

I got another set from Amazon to try out and there is a difference in this pair. They sound a tad smoother and have a slightly lusher sound. It's not a big difference to me but still there. 

I guess the first pair I heard was different as it sounded like a K702 to me. There was no difference at all.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #592 of 9,602
Glad to see more and more people confirm what some of us have been saying.

Again, I'd say that perhaps the Q701 and K702 WERE the same, but at some point, something was tweaked.

Having said that, I did own the 7 bump K701 and the new Q701. Not sure how different the old K701 is with the 8 bump variants, but it was noticably different from the Q701.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #593 of 9,602

Quote:
Travis,

I got another set from Amazon to try out and there is a difference in this pair. They sound a tad smoother and have a slightly lusher sound. It's not a big difference to me but still there. 

I guess the first pair I heard was different as it sounded like a K702 to me. There was no difference at all.

Sounds like it's possible that some pairs are just so similar to the K702. Basically identical. Maybe you and Tyll got a pair that are basically clones of the K702. Very strange.
What serial do you have? Maybe people here who have pairs that are similar to the K702 can post their serial #s. It'd be interesting to figure out if some lower numbered pairs sound identical to the K702.

I was totally 100% expecting it to sound the same, but I sure was surprised. I would have actually kept a pair if it just had smoother upper mids and treble ONLY. The other differences were a nice bonus.
This pair is almost as warm as the HD-600 with any amp. With my HRT and Micro Amp it's even closer. Without stock cable, the Q701 is even less warm, which doesn't make any sense to me!

I was never a fan of the K702 for female vocals (and Jpop), but this Q701 is quite good. The mids just sound a tad bit fuller IMO. Not as full sounding as an HD-580/600, but that's not what I want.

Now it'd be really weird to hear of someone getting a very high numbered K702 that sounds identical to a newest Q701.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #594 of 9,602
Talking about Amazon and different sounding Q701s.

Last week, a few amazon sellers had the Q701 for sale around 250$. Now all sellers are back to 400$. How do you explain such a discount?

While the sale was on, I tried to price match a pair on a store that ships to Canada. The store claims it will "beat any advertised price". The price match was refused. The seller said those models, the ones going for 250$, are lower quality models made in China. I'm not gullible enough to credit this reason for refusing the price match, but I'd like you guys to comment on this.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #595 of 9,602

Last week, a few amazon sellers had the Q701 for sale around 250$. Now all sellers are back to 400$. How do you explain such a discount?

While the sale was on, I tried to price match a pair on a store that ships to Canada. The store claims it will "beat any advertised price". The price match was refused. The seller said those models, the ones going for 250$, are lower quality models made in China. I'm not gullible enough to credit this reason for refusing the price match, but I'd like you guys to comment on this.

I got my pair off of amazon from electronics expo when they were on a good sale. They were sold out on electronics expos own site. Dont know how long he had it but my black pair serial number was lower than his. My code was 3893 much lower than mle whos white par was 7000 something. Hope I didnt get a flat pair since I dont have an amp yet so people say it should sound thin.

Its kind of killing me as I paid for the amp already but am waiting for the odac to be released. That and I got 200 in gift cards at astro and they have been out of stock of their 5.8 amp for over a month.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #596 of 9,602

Quote:

In December and January the Q 701 could be had from Amazon and its third party vendors in upper $220's to $230's range.  I bought a new pair from Electronic Expo at the end of last month for $229 shipped (after coupon--that essentially covered shipping--was applied).  My pair says that they were made in Austria.  I wasn't aware that any of the 700 series were made anywhere outside Austria.  In contrast my recent vintage K 240 studios were made in China.

Is AKG moving toward the Senn business model and clamping down on retailers to follow MAP pricing? 

At this point I suspect your Canadian vendor is just blowing smoke.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #597 of 9,602
The number on mine is in the mid 1900s, very early, and isn't flat. It and the K702s I heard are quite different.

That retailer is full of it, I'll wager. He just didn't want to go that low.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #599 of 9,602
Amazon still has them in black for $270, but the other colors are back up to $399.  I got my white pair last week from SMICORP for $260.  They also say "Made in Austria".  I haven't checked the serial number, but they've been playing thru my Maverick DAC since last Thursday.  They sounded great to start, but are opening up nicely after almost 100 hours.  I listened to my main 2 channel system, Carver TFM45, Sunfire Tubed Pre, and Vandersteen 2's, and can 'almost' say that the phones sound as good and maybe a little clearer/detailed.  The soundstage is greater in the 2 channel system, but the details thru the Q's is fantastic.  They are very comfortable, I don't know how many 'bumps' are on the headband, but I don't notice them at all and I have an average to large sized melon!  I am extremely pleased with the way the Mav DAC drives these.  I have an HRT Streamer II in my office system and it sounds fantastic thru the Paradigm Studio 20 v3's. I'll have to take a listen to it in my headphone system in the near future and post back.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #600 of 9,602
I received my Q701s about three weeks ago and I have been letting them break in using a tuner  through my Luxman L-505u headphone out. The headphone out is derived directly from the main amp section and is not some cheap add-on. I have listened to them for a total of about four hours so far and they sound very good. I was immediately struck by how much more bass they have than I expected due to so many opinions of light bass. I have a moon audio blue dragon v3 headphone cable with the 3 pin mini xlr and furutech 1/4" plug that I have been using with my pioneer hdj-2000s so I tried it on the Qs. The sound became fuller with a little stronger bass, richer mids, and a treble range with more body and only slightly less air. Plus, for those who care, the blue dragon is a beautiful and well made cable. Now, if this cable proves to be the best choice as the headphones break in remains to be heard but so far I am very pleased with the results. The Qs are very comfortable for me with very little clamping force but fairly hard earpads. I so wish that the earpads from the 2ks would fit on the Qs because thay are amazingly comfy. One tiny gripe about a new headphone must be some kind of record for me and says a lot about the Q701s.

no flash

flash

I don't know if you can see the meters on my amp but with the Qs playing good and loud they are drawing a lot of power. Ozzy Osbournes "Crazy Train" was playing when I took the pic so I put the Qs on and wow,these things can rock! I usually listen to trance, dark ambient etc. so crazy train was a welcome surprise. It reminded me of when I was young and my friend called me up all excited that I had to get over to his house right away. When I got there he rushed me into the living room, slapped his headphones on me, and blasted "Bark At The Moon" straight through my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back