Q701 impressions thread
Feb 25, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #572 of 9,602
You know, a good inexpensive, but fun, amp to get for these would be a Little Dot 1+. Grab a cheap sound card, the low cost DAC, and you would be set. The Q701s are great with a little tube action.

edit: a low cost USB DAC would work with the LD 1+ as well.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #573 of 9,602
Guys do Q701 ear pads get any softer after some time? I find them very hard at the moment. After having headphones on my head for 2 hours or more I get pain around ears and on the tips of my jaw bone.  I wonder why they didn't make the ear pads much softer, combined with low clamping force it would be amazing for long term comfort.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #574 of 9,602
I wish I had optical out on my Lenovo E420. Yeah laptop is a bummer... I have Audioengine D1 that drives the Qs just fine but I can definitely tell it lacks something. As a DAC the D1 is really good but that is not what you want to pay for the DAC ... I would definitely check ebay for the NFB stuff. Couple weeks ago I saw a guy selling off all his equipment on ebay and there were some really good deals out there ...

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #575 of 9,602
Sound so sweet, they make the cripple walk!

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #576 of 9,602
I'm really liking the bass on these headphones on bass heavy tracks. I searched for some subwoofer test songs with boosted bass on youtube.  Found this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6eyRYRj9Gc
Cheesy song, but really decent quality track considering its on youtube, great deep, tight, and controlled bass, its a great burn-in track I think. Q701 drivers are really capable of moving some air, bass is really strong and present, right on par with HD650's, in fact, I'd say bass is even better than on HD650's, because for some reason HD650's have very little bass on low volumes, on medium they're sort of boomy, on high volumes they start to lose control... whereas Q701 are completely tight and accurate on any loudness, and bass gets louder than on HD650's. Lets make it clear, bass gets boomy on Q701's as well on really high volumes, but its still somehow more accurate and tighter sounding, while having that subsonic rumble that makes your vision all blurry when those 30 Hz notes hit. :) Also back vocals in background are much nicer presented on Q701, bass doesn't disrupt them as much as on HD650's and feel of them being distanced is more pronounced.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #579 of 9,602
Audio GD Sparrow is just over $200 and has plenty of power for the Q701. Its an amp/dac.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #580 of 9,602
Greetings everyone. After quite few months of lurking around the forums here, I just wanted to finally log in and say I hate you all. Especially in this thread. <3  *cradles his new white q701 headphones* For years I've been using Senn's HD570, which I thought were quite good. After pouring over this specific thread, I went out and got a nice white pair. My ears would like to personally thank each one of you. :) Even being driven by only my computer, they sound amazing. I can't wait to get a proper DAC/Amp for them.

P.S. My wallet does hate you all, but my ears will keep him in line. :D

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #581 of 9,602

Quote:
I'm really liking the bass on these headphones on bass heavy tracks. I searched for some subwoofer test songs with boosted bass on youtube.  Found this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6eyRYRj9Gc
Cheesy song, but really decent quality track considering its on youtube, great deep, tight, and controlled bass, its a great burn-in track I think. Q701 drivers are really capable of moving some air, bass is really strong and present, right on par with HD650's, in fact, I'd say bass is even better than on HD650's, because for some reason HD650's have very little bass on low volumes, on medium they're sort of boomy, on high volumes they start to lose control... whereas Q701 are completely tight and accurate on any loudness, and bass gets louder than on HD650's. Lets make it clear, bass gets boomy on Q701's as well on really high volumes, but its still somehow more accurate and tighter sounding, while having that subsonic rumble that makes your vision all blurry when those 30 Hz notes hit. :) Also back vocals in background are much nicer presented on Q701, bass doesn't disrupt them as much as on HD650's and feel of them being distanced is more pronounced.

heh thanks for ur thoughts about the bass- it still gets me wondering about these cans and their potential.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #582 of 9,602
Feb 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #583 of 9,602

Quote:
Greetings everyone. After quite few months of lurking around the forums here, I just wanted to finally log in and say I hate you all. Especially in this thread. <3  *cradles his new white q701 headphones* For years I've been using Senn's HD570, which I thought were quite good. After pouring over this specific thread, I went out and got a nice white pair. My ears would like to personally thank each one of you. :) Even being driven by only my computer, they sound amazing. I can't wait to get a proper DAC/Amp for them.

P.S. My wallet does hate you all, but my ears will keep him in line. :D

Heh, you're quite welcome.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back