Q701 impressions thread
Feb 25, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #556 of 9,602
No, the Matrix M Stage with the USB option.
http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-M-Stage-Headphone-Amplifier-USB/dp/B00775POZW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330150794&sr=1-3

You can go Billy-badass with the opamp upgrades and everything for $310.

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=119

That sucker would be impressive.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #558 of 9,602
I assume the M Stage is the stronger amp with a DAC put in as a bonus, where the Cube is a full DAC/AMP combo that isn't as powerful, but has a better dac.

IMHO, a good one that costs $25 will sound almost as good as a $200 one, as long as they aren't considerably different in sound signature. For dacs, you want uncolored anyway.

I would say that an amp would make the bigger difference.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #559 of 9,602

Quote:
So what would be the difference between M Cube & M Stage with USB?

Would like to know as well.

What I think is, the M-stage has a better amplifier than the Cube, but the cube has a better DAC than the M-stage. But overall, which is better?

I see someone get the M-stage USB as a first unit. Being a very good amp, it can be kept and upgraded by getting a better DAC. The Cube can't really be upgraded, you'd have to replace the whole unit.

The M-stage looks better too. The casing of the cube just doesn't look like a something with this price tag.

EDIT: I just remembered the Cube's USB can only take 48khz max, which makes it even less interesting for me. I'd have to also buy a USB to SPDIF adapter. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #560 of 9,602
Would like to know as well.

What I think is, the M-stage has a better amplifier than the Cube, but the cube has a better DAC than the M-stage. But overall, which is better?

I see someone get the M-stage USB as a first unit. Being a very good amp, it can be kept and upgraded by getting a better DAC. The Cube can't really be upgraded, you'd have to replace the whole unit.

The M-stage looks better too. The casing of the cube just doesn't look like a something with this price tag.

Oh yeah, the Cube can be upgraded. The opamp Class A biasing mod works for it too.

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=91

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #561 of 9,602
I guess what it comes down to is balancing my 300$ between a better amp or a better dac. As I've mentioned earlier, I'd prefer not to spend more $$ than I already am. Q701's were 260$ as is, as a poor college student I won't get to splurge on myself for a while. From reviews I've read looks like Objective 2 at 160$ isn't a bad amp either, would I be better off pairing a 150$ dac with it? Or should I just pull the trigger on Stage or Cube?

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #563 of 9,602

Quote:
I guess what it comes down to is balancing my 300$ between a better amp or a better dac. As I've mentioned earlier, I'd prefer not to spend more $$ than I already am. Q701's were 260$ as is, as a poor college student I won't get to splurge on myself for a while. From reviews I've read looks like Objective 2 at 160$ isn't a bad amp either, would I be better off pairing a 150$ dac with it? Or should I just pull the trigger on Stage or Cube?

I know exactly you how feel, being a poor college student myself.  I have to wait a long time to save up enough dough to get anything.  I took me a year to save up for my Q701s and amp/dac.

Like I said in the PM I just sent, I definitely wouldn't go above $150 for the DAC.  Diminishing returns set in very quickly there.  I'd say ≤ $150 is the sweet spot for the DAC.  So either the ODAC, or HRT MS II would be good for the DAC.  I also bet the HUD-MX1 would be a good value, but that's actually under your budget.  The M-Stage DAC is OK, but it will bottleneck the soundstage some.  IMO the Q701s deserve  better in terms of soundstage from a DAC.

The E9 isn't bad either, and can be had for < $100 off the For Sale forum.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #564 of 9,602
I would say if you want to get it going sooner get a objective2 and a fiio e10. Both tobether can be had for 140 + 81. Getting it made for you is 20 cheaper and you can chose your own color. The only negative is you get a plexiglass faceplate instead of metal.

Also the odac is going to be pricy at around 100 at cost. Let alone having the person make profit to make it for you.

Having them seperate will give you a portable although large for a portable that can properly power the q701 on the go. You simply will not find a portable with that much power even close to that price.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #565 of 9,602
If his source has an optical input, he could go with the Fiio D3 as the DAC, and it's like $28. Hook that up with the O2 for some budget but great AMP/DAC duo/ The D3 is a hair better than the E7's DAC. It's just limited because it's only optical or coaxial input...

I use it, and it kicks ass. I can't believe it's that cheap.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #566 of 9,602
Yeah, I'm torn about deciding between a DAC/amp for the Q701's.  I'm looking to spend ~$150 on that, with my source being a laptop via USB and a J3. Being portable is a nice extra though I don't think I would use the Q701's outside, only my RE0s. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #567 of 9,602
You could do much worse than the D3/O2 for just a little over your price range.

edit: Never mind, forgot you need USB... cheapest DAC with USB that's worthwhile would be the E10

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #568 of 9,602
Oh yeah, on top of that I am in Canada so shipping can add a lot to the price if it's coming from outside Canada ;_;.

Perhaps I should just get an amp now and a DAC later?  Or maybe wait for the E17 (not completely sure if it's enough for the Q701s).

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #569 of 9,602
Fudge all this, get the D3 as MadLust said and cheap Xonar. U can have the Xonar DG with opitical out for $17 after rebates on Amazon. Then spend the reset on a good AMP.
One that I want to get is DIY Torpedo. If you have the skills and tools it can be built under $300. It is very similar to WA6 in theory and has some good reviews driving the Ks and Qs.
Bang for the buck: an amp for 300 with a performance close to 1000 is my kind of thing!!!!! 
beerchug.gif
 And you can have fun learning the art of soldering... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back