Q701 impressions thread
Feb 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #541 of 9,602
Well, my rig is now complete and I couldn't be happier with the Q701's.  Granted I only have about an hour on my Schiit Lyr, but I can tell it's a keeper.  My setup is mostly FLAC files - Foobar2k - WASAPI - iBasso D7 (DAC) - Schiit Lyr (NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes) - Q701....  No processing, no EQ, no magic fairy dust required..  If this isn't Aurvana, I don't know what is.  I can tell you this, I have no desire to upgrade anything in my chain.  Now, I can focus on expanding my music collection again.

The iBasso D7 by itself did/does a fantastic job of powering the Q's, the changes with the Lyr are subtle but significant.  The soundstage hasn't been altered, it's still magical and 3D like.  It just seems that everything is more in focus with the Lyr.  The D7 isn't sloppy per se, but A/B'ing between the two, I can definitely hear a shift.  There's a more precise focus to each instrument. They always occupied their own space, it's just now they seem more precisely placed.  Where before the bass and kick drum may have overlapped, the separation/layering is more noticeable now.  The extra power brought out that last bit of resolution I never knew I was missing.  Bass impact is also better, but not so much in force/quantity as in focus.  I think the Q's were just pushing the D7's amp to it's limits.  All I can say now is that I am convinced that I'm hearing the Q's in their full glory and I couldn't be happier.  These are keepers.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #542 of 9,602

Quote:
Well, my rig is now complete and I couldn't be happier with the Q701's.  Granted I only have about an hour on my Schiit Lyr, but I can tell it's a keeper.  My setup is mostly FLAC files - Foobar2k - WASAPI - iBasso D7 (DAC) - Schiit Lyr (NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes) - Q701....  No processing, no EQ, no magic fairy dust required..  If this isn't Aurvana, I don't know what is.  I can tell you this, I have no desire to upgrade anything in my chain.  Now, I can focus on expanding my music collection again.

The iBasso D7 by itself did/does a fantastic job of powering the Q's, the changes with the Lyr are subtle but significant.  The soundstage hasn't been altered, it's still magical and 3D like.  It just seems that everything is more in focus with the Lyr.  The D7 isn't sloppy per se, but A/B'ing between the two, I can definitely hear a shift.  There's a more precise focus to each instrument. They always occupied their own space, it's just now they seem more precisely placed.  Where before the bass and kick drum may have overlapped, the separation/layering is more noticeable now.  The extra power brought out that last bit of resolution I never knew I was missing.  Bass impact is also better, but not so much in force/quantity as in focus.  I think the Q's were just pushing the D7's amp to it's limits.  All I can say now is that I am convinced that I'm hearing the Q's in their full glory and I couldn't be happier.  These are keepers.

Yea, definitely keepers. IMHO because they're so specifically oriented to certain types of music. Headphones that tend to be "all around" good are usually not spectacular in any genre. Q701 ARE spectacular in vocal / instrumental / jazz / rock. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #544 of 9,602

Quote:
(IF YOU BELIEVE IT'S A MYTH, THAN JUST IGNORE ME)
beyersmile.png

Yes, this is in regards to the Q701's. I've never "broken in/burnt in" a pair of headphones before. I've read numerous times that it's necessary for these beasts.

Tips? Advice?

Pink noise?

Break em' in with the genre of music that I will be listening to most of the time?

HELP!

thanks.

p.s. I tried to look around at any threads that were previously made about breaking in phones. I was looking for specific advice for the Q's, though.

Feel free to break them in with any music you listen to regularly.
You are only trying to keep the drivers moving during the break-in period.
Break them in at a loud (but NOT distorted!) volume.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #545 of 9,602
Greetings, I'm looking for a dac\amp & my budget is 200-300$. I mostly use AKG Q701 on my computer for music, games, and movies.

I've considered the following:

1. Get an external DAC & AMP like Objective 2 Amp + whatever.

1. Get a sound card such as:
    HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

1. Get a Dac&Amp 2in1 such as NFB-12 HUD-MX1 AUNE Fiio E10
    ir
    ir
    , I saw plenty more but I have no idea what makes one better than the other.

1. Go with something else that I have not yet mentioned.

I just want to get the best performance for buck ratio on my investment. I don't like loud volume so would rather prefer quality over quantity.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #546 of 9,602
Quote:
Greetings, I'm looking for a dac\amp & my budget is 200-300$. I mostly use AKG Q701 on my computer for music, games, and movies.

I've considered the following:

1. Get an external DAC & AMP like Objective 2 Amp + whatever.

1. Get a sound card such as:
    HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

1. Get a Dac&Amp 2in1 such as NFB-12 HUD-MX1 AUNE Fiio E10
    ir
    ir
    , I saw plenty more but I have no idea what makes one better than the other.

1. Go with something else that I have not yet mentioned.

I just want to get the best performance for buck ratio on my investment. I don't like loud volume so would rather prefer quality over quantity.

Thanks in advance!

schiit asgard $250

this will outperform any other amp for 250.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #547 of 9,602
Quite a few people beg to differ. Tdock prefers the E9 over the Asgard for the AKGs. The Matrix M Stage is constantly being favored over the Asgard as well. I'd also look into the NFB12.1 or Sparrow too.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #548 of 9,602
Matrix DAC/amps are very solid for the money, and quite upgradeable via opamp rolling. I'm about to get OPA627APs for mine.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #549 of 9,602
Solid suggestions, however 300$ is my max budget for both. Also I'm not looking to upgrade in the future so I'd prefer my budget to cover both dac & amp right now.

I could grab Matrix or Asgard but that doesn't solve my DAC situation. I could run the amps from my Xonar DG but to be honest I think Q701's deserve a better source than that, plus it tends to add noise.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #550 of 9,602
Solid suggestions, however 300$ is my max budget for both. Also I'm not looking to upgrade in the future so I'd prefer my budget to cover both dac & amp right now.

I could grab Matrix or Asgard but that doesn't solve my DAC situation. I could run the amps from my Xonar DG but to be honest I think Q701's deserve a better source than that, plus it tends to add noise.

You gonna be using USB or optical/coax?

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #552 of 9,602
The Matrix M Stage has a USB DAC option for like $25 more. They say it does its job well, and you'd have to spend considerably more to gain a significant improvement.

That being said, all sources I've heard all sound 99% the same. As long as its good and clean, I doubt you'll notice some magical improvement.

Out of all my sources, I'd fail blind tests every time. E7, D3, TV's audio out, NFB5's DAC, etc. There are differences, but to me, not worth the huge price to justify them.

Get the MStage with USB for now, and if you feel you need a better dac, get one later.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #553 of 9,602
Thanks for advice Mad Lust. I've sent you a PM during my debate period whether to grab Q701. Are you referring to this? http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-cube-24-192-asrc-dac-headphone-amp-p-186.html

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #554 of 9,602
No, the Matrix M Stage with the USB option.

http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-M-Stage-Headphone-Amplifier-USB/dp/B00775POZW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330150794&sr=1-3

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #555 of 9,602
USB, unless optical or coax offer benefits. (This is for my desktop). Also, I see you have Matrix Cube, any thoughts on that?

It 's a great value for $260, but its USB input isn't much to write home about. It's outstanding with coax or optical, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back