Q701 impressions thread
Jan 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #317 of 9,602
Heard an AKG K701 through a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo and I loved it. Anyone know how the Q compares through similar equipment?

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #318 of 9,602
Yep, It is fantastic! Havent heard a regular k701 through it though. But its the best ive heard the q sound.

-M

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #320 of 9,602

Quote:
whats a good stand alone DAC around $300 to go with stock Matrix M Stage and stock Q/K701/2?

There are some real good options around that price point.  Those options include: Schiit Audio's Bifrost, HRT's Music Streamer II+, CEntrance DACport LX, Musical Fidelity's V-DAC II, and Head Room's Micro DAC.  I'm sure there are other good options I'm forgetting.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #321 of 9,602

Quote:
What???  No love for the greenies?? 
biggrin.gif
 I didn't have a choice (gift), but I really like the green, and would have purchased them in this color.. It reminds me of my first Kawasaki.. the KX80..

I'm not big on the green cable   LOL!
I got black, reminds me of my first Yamaha.

The only other reference point I have is the output on my CD player, but I think the sound out of the DAC on my iBasso D12 sounds great for $300,  clean, clear, neutral.
It's not as open as the line out on my Shanling CD player, but hard for me to do a true comparison because I am actually comparing CDs to lossless Apple files of the same material via an iPod thru a Wadia dock into a D123 DAC.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #323 of 9,602

Quote:
I love the music streamer II+ with my q701's. 

Same here, but I only have the $150 II version. Seems like a good match for the Q701. Someday I want to try out the Headroom Micro Dac and see if it's an upgrade or any different.
The Optical connection would be nice to have.

BTW for those that care, the Headroom Micro Amp is a perfect match for the Q701. I originally had the Asgard and hated it for the K702, so I bought the E9 for testing and then the Micro Amp.
I actually prefer the way the K702 sounds out of the E9 over the Asgard. The Asgard seems best for the Sennheiser stuff and not so much the AKGs. Asgard is pretty impressive with the D2000 and HD-600 though, but not so much the HD-650.

I've been tempted to try the M-Stage, but I'll probably keep the Micro Amp as long as I can. I've found it far better than the Asgard in about every way, but is a lot more expensive. I'm guessing that the M-Stage MIGHT give me a larger soundstage than the Micro Amp. Who knows...

Anyone else think a docked Ipod Touch to the E9 sounds HORRIBLE? Now I normally never use that combo, but it somehow makes the Q701 almost V-Shaped in it's signature. Felt the mids were much too recessed. Don't know if it's the Ipod Touch's signature or what. When I switched to a different source to the E9 that's neutral, it's very good.

More people should try out the old PS1 with the RCA jacks. You'll be pretty impressed with how good it sounds with the K601 and Q701. It seems to have rolled off highs, but I prefer it to my Oppo DVD player as a source.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #324 of 9,602
Got my white Q701 yesterday.

Fantastic sound-stage and separation. I researched nights and days before deciding on these. The sound signature is almost what I expected
I went through many sets of loud speakers before deciding on my personal taste of sound signature. I love the the tight, accurate, extended, but not pronounced bass. I love the slightly analytical top end with spacious staging and separation. I also love the slightly forwarding mids on the Q701. Vocal sounds slightly on the cold side, but very sweet.

Definitely keepers!!!! More impression to come.

Problem is, my girlfriend says I look like Princess Laia with these on   :)

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #326 of 9,602

Quote:
whats the difference between music streamer II and music streamer II+?

The Streamer II+ has a higher end DAC chip/is better.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #328 of 9,602

Quote:
is price difference in MS2+ over MS2 worth it? and how much of an improvement is it over my pc sound card(Xonar DX)?

I had an auzentech xfi prelude which was a very high end soundcard, and the hrt music streamer II+ is hands down better in every way.  It made that $200 internal soundcard sound like a realtek onboard soundcard in comparison.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #329 of 9,602
Hi
Has anybody tried the Q701 with the audioengine D1
I'd love to hear your impressions, for me this could be nice start, I hear it's a good USB DAC with toslink also and has a good headphone amp.
If anybody has any information about coupling with the Q please chime in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back