Q701 impressions thread
Dec 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #8,251 of 9,602
News flash!

I have just reversed my bass mod on my Q701, I had decided that the bass mod made for too much bass for my taste!
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #8,252 of 9,602
  News flash!

I have just reversed my bass mod on my Q701, I had decided that the bass mod made for too much bass for my taste!
biggrin.gif

Splitter!  
wink.gif

*grumble*
Bloody Judaen People's Front...
*grumble*

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #8,253 of 9,602
Splitter!  :wink:

*grumble*
Bloody Judaen People's Front...
*grumble*

Seriously?
Those jerks? :rolleyes:

I'm with the People's Front of Judea, the real heroes!

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #8,254 of 9,602
Seriously?
Those jerks?
rolleyes.gif

I'm with the People's Front of Judea, the real heroes!

I'm not oppressing you, Stan... errrr, Chris. You haven't got a womb. Where is the foetus going to gestate? You're going to keep it in a box?!

Enjoy your neutered Q701s 
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #8,255 of 9,602
I'm not oppressing you, Stan... errrr, Chris. You haven't got a womb. Where is the foetus going to gestate? You're going to keep it in a box?!

Enjoy your neutered Q701s :wink:

Then why do I feel oppressed?
Where's the support?
I have a right to reverse the bass mod.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #8,256 of 9,602
Then why do I feel oppressed?
Where's the support?
I have a right to reverse the bass mod.

*pat on the head*
Of course you do, dear.

(yes, I believe "pat" here would be short for patronize :wink:

Back on topic, did you ever try a halfway measure like some nice spongy foam slid over the ports?  I've gone all three routes, and always end up with the foam.

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #8,257 of 9,602
*pat on the head*
Of course you do, dear.

(yes, I believe "pat" here would be short for patronize :wink:

Back on topic, did you ever try a halfway measure like some nice spongy foam slid over the ports?  I've gone all three routes, and always end up with the foam.

LOL!
I've been thinking about experimenting with different size holes in the tape I stuck over the ports, I lost the original port covers.
Foam does sound interesting though......:wink_face:

Edit:
I haven't seen The Life Of Brian since 1980 something........

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #8,258 of 9,602
I guess I've just been lucky. My Qs sound great on all my amps. Lyr , zdac and geek out 450. I really like them best on the Valhalla so far and the least on a matrix. Lyr offers the best dynamics and the geek out the best resolution . Though its slightly under powered for cranking it up. Still no distortion though

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #8,259 of 9,602
So I recently got a k712 and it's pretty much better in every way. Better bass, better highs, more detail, less fatiguing, less harsh. It's absolutely ridiculous how night and day the two are.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #8,260 of 9,602
  So I recently got a k712 and it's pretty much better in every way. Better bass, better highs, more detail, less fatiguing, less harsh. It's absolutely ridiculous how night and day the two are.

I feel the same way about the two, I prefer the K712 by a noticeable margin, except when the extra brightness works in the Q701's benefit. The K712 is honestly a jack of all trades headphones, just more revealing and pickier than some other jack of all trade headphones.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #8,261 of 9,602
Note the updated measurement (FR comparison) link in post 1 for mod/no-mod. It shows that with the mod the mid-bass is not reduced, you just get additional low bass.

I wouldn't go for such a thing in a loudspeaker, I prefer a gentle roll off, because speakers have room gain which naturally supports lower frequencies. But a headphone has no room gain, so an extended low end with a faster eventual roll off is the more sensible compromise for me.

The Q701 modded response is the other side of flat however. Perhaps a bit of foam is the Goldilocks option for a flatter bass yet I find the modded Q701 bass quantity fine in terms of bottom/top balance.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #8,262 of 9,602
Just received my pair today, i love the transparent sound of AKG, although at times it can be harsh in treble (probably because of the 2k Hz spike)

The biggest problem would be comfort because:

1. Satan's bumps
2. My head is too big

I generally use headphone at their largest headband setup. Sadly, Q701's headband is still not big enough for me and i have to wear the headband a bit forward than in general. Even with that, they're still pressing against my head. Considering re-selling them because of this :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #8,264 of 9,602
  Just received my pair today, i love the transparent sound of AKG, although at times it can be harsh in treble (probably because of the 2k Hz spike)

The biggest problem would be comfort because:

1. Satan's bumps
2. My head is too big

I generally use headphone at their largest headband setup. Sadly, Q701's headband is still not big enough for me and i have to wear the headband a bit forward than in general. Even with that, they're still pressing against my head. Considering re-selling them because of this :frowning2:

I kind of have the same issue with the headband, it's almost all the way extended for me to get a comfortable fit. Somehow the bumps don't bother me as much though, but they do leave an impression in my head after wearing for a while. The 2k is a smoother increased area rather than a spike and it smooths out further over time. The low treble is still a little boosted from what some people might call neutral (aka HD 600) so that might be a bit sibilant on some poorer recordings. It's quite a revealing and analytical headphone with a presence increase in the mids, also known as the AKG house sound.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #8,265 of 9,602
  I kind of have the same issue with the headband, it's almost all the way extended for me to get a comfortable fit. Somehow the bumps don't bother me as much though, but they do leave an impression in my head after wearing for a while. The 2k is a smoother increased area rather than a spike and it smooths out further over time. The low treble is still a little boosted from what some people might call neutral (aka HD 600) so that might be a bit sibilant on some poorer recordings. It's quite a revealing and analytical headphone with a presence increase in the mids, also known as the AKG house sound.

HD600 is in no way neutral for me at least :p My RE-400 i would call neutral. But overall the Q701 does sound neutral to me with a slight emphasis on being analytical, while my RE-400 is neutral & warm. It could also because of my amp.

I'm currently running it from my ibasso d-zero and while i can pretty much drive them comfortably with d-zero, i just want to get opinions whether a more powerful amp is needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back