Q701 impressions thread
Oct 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #8,041 of 9,602
  I've been using these for a few days, and so far, I'm not that impressed.

One of the bigger issues is that the headband has started to give me a headache. When I first put it on, it felt just fine -- in fact I could hardly feel anything. But after about 30 minutes to an hour, it just starts to hurt. I've positioned the band on several parts of my head, from closer to the forehead to the back of the head, and no matter what, it begins to hurt pretty quickly now. If anything I've become more sensitive to it

My intention was to upgrade from a set of MDR-V6, but so far the difference in quality is not as a day/night as I imagined. The Q701 have a superior soundstage, but every time I go back to the MDR-V6 I feel like I prefer them overall. I can't perceive a noticeable qualitative difference in instrumental/vocal detail. I almost want to lean on the side of the MDR-V6; certain parts of music sound "hollow" on the Q701. One thing about the Q701 is that I feel like vocals sound better, or more realistic -- there's a "presence" to them -- almost like they're coming from a person rather than coming out of the headphones. Basically, they sound a little more life-like and less recording-like. On the other hand, the MDR-V6 bring it more on the bass side. I have the bass on my amp/dac set to +4, and this for me make the Q701 decent, but the MDR-V6 deliver the bass at this setting even more potently. The Q701 also has a really aggressive treble -- snares and cymbals are bordering on obnoxious in certain songs. There's pros and cons to either set.

I prefer the coiled cable that my MDR-V6 have. The variability to the length means I don't have to wrangle a long cord, but it also means that if I get up and walk across the room, they don't fall off my head. The other aspect of a coiled cable that might be underestimated is that there's a tactile indication of how much length is left in the cord, because the cord "tugs back" as distance increases. With a straight cable, you walk too far, and the thing just falls off your head because you walked the length of the cord. I wrapped the cable up to be shorter so I wouldn't roll over it with my swivel chair, but then when I got up to turn the light off in my room, the headphones promptly fell off my head.

If nothing else, given the price difference between the two (I've payed as little as $68 and as much as $80 for the MDR-V6 [Amazon]), I don't feel like there's $110+ worth of additional value in the Q701. It feels more like a step sideways to me, they haven't replaced my MDR-V6 as much as they've become an option. They do some things better and some things worse.

I don't know, maybe it's a mere matter of becoming accustomed to the MDR-V6 for so many years that they will always sound "right". Maybe my ears are no good. Maybe I just have poor taste. Maybe I picked a poor choice of amp (Fiio E17). The source right now is Google Play Music; but I've always tried FLAC 24bit/96KHz vinyl rips for comparison as well.

For $190, I'm not sure if I want to hold on to these as a weapon in my arsenal or if I want to send them back and try something else. They're not bad...I'm just not sure they're for me.

Sorry, most of this thread seems positive toward these headphones, but I must say that I am underwhelmed.

I would get a different headphone. Something with a little more oomph in the low end or midbass hump. The V6's have a mid bass hump. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #8,042 of 9,602

It happens. It sounds like you should return them. I am surprised you were caught off guard by the bumps because they must be the single-most discussed issue, in nearly every review I've read, about these headphones, often appearing in reviews of the AKG K712 pro as well (because they latter don't have the bumps). I was very prepared, then, for discomfort before I picked these up, but I was surprised they weren't that bad for me. A couple of posts ago I linked a 10 dollar wool headband on ebay that completely solved any issues for me. But it sounds like you don't really enjoy the sound either, and if that's the case, I would return them for something else. Why did you go with the AKG in the first place, I wonder?

Best of luck to you

The Q701's are highly regarded because they go for so cheap. However I like to mention everywhere that the Q701's are a big hit or miss for people.
Heck I love these headphones, but I also understand that people just plain don't like it :p

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #8,043 of 9,602

The Q701's are highly regarded because they go for so cheap. However I like to mention everywhere that the Q701's are a big hit or miss for people.
Heck I love these headphones, but I also understand that people just plain don't like it :p

+1

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #8,044 of 9,602
Originally Posted by Enginigmatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. The Q701 also has a really aggressive treble -- snares and cymbals are bordering on obnoxious in certain songs. There's pros and cons to either set.

I don't know, maybe it's a mere matter of becoming accustomed to the MDR-V6 for so many years that they will always sound "right". Maybe my ears are no good. Maybe I just have poor taste. Maybe I picked a poor choice of amp (Fiio E17). The source right now is Google Play Music; but I've always tried FLAC 24bit/96KHz vinyl rips for comparison as well.

For $190, I'm not sure if I want to hold on to these as a weapon in my arsenal or if I want to send them back and try something else. They're not bad...I'm just not sure they're for me.

Sorry, most of this thread seems positive toward these headphones, but I must say that I am underwhelmed.

Usually when the Q701 sounds like it has really harsh or aggressive treble it's due to an amp it doesn't seem to like. For example, i'm not a fan of the Magni or O2 with the Q701. It's not that the Q701 requires a warm amp at all, but is rather picky.
When it has a weaker amp it does sound much thinner and more sparkly/fatiguing.

Even the harshest music should never sound painful on the right amp Iwith the Q701 IMO.

I actually have the E17 as a backup amp for my bedroom and it seemed OK for the Q701. I do remember one day though thinking that it made the Q701 sound like it had less bass than usual, but probably my imagination. I actually prefer the E17 to the E10 and E7, but not the E9.

I've found that on the wrong amp it's easy to not like the Q701. I only really like it on a few amps. My favorites are the Headroom Micro Amp, Ifi Ican, E9 and Vali.

Before returning the Q701 I'd try the Q701 with other sources and see if you get better results. You could even try "double amping" maybe a portable source to the E17 and see if it sounds better.
I know this sounds silly, but sometimes double amping isn't as bad as they say! I don't magically hear all this extra distortion or whatever.

I actually once used a K701 with an Ipod to Total Airhead for years. Sounded good to me. I actually like the Q701 with the Airhead more than with the O2(!!)

Maybe you can return the E17 for an E9
biggrin.gif
Fiio E9 is actually pretty nice for the Q701 as a budget amp. More people should use that with the Q701 instead of the Magni or O2. It's not perfect though, but sounds pretty good with the Q701.

Oh and don't believe the nonsense about the 10 ohm output impedance bothering the Q701. It doesn't change it a bit.

Another idea is to see if you can find an older receiver at a thrift store for testing. Most of them let you return them if you don't like them.

Of course there is a chance you'll dislike the Q701 no matter what. I just think it's worth testing the Q701 on other equipment first.

On the K701 I actually went from the Total Airhead to Asgard1, then to the E9 and later the Headroom Micro Amp.
Strangely enough the E9 was a better match for the Q701 than the Asgard 1!

So far the best amps i've heard for it are the Micro and Ifi Ican. Haven't heard the M-Stage, but I bet they offer a similar sound. Same op-amps too.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #8,045 of 9,602
I'm quite sure my slightly bitter experience with the Q701 may be due to the amp I used with it (Schiit Magni). It sounded superbly detailed and revealing, but also harsh with the Magni, the FiiO E09k might be a better choice.

PS: I've never heard it with the Q701, but I'm pretty certain the Graham Slee Solo SRG-2 or the Solo UL would be a perfect match for the Q701 for a quite decent price. I heard it with the HD800 and it sounded superb, certainly better than the Woo WA3 / WA6 to my ears.

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #8,046 of 9,602
Created a review of the AKG Q701's! Includes measurements of the bass port mod and a little history of it involving my time with these beasts :)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-q701-premium-class-reference-headphones-quincy-jones-signature-line/reviews/11822

Very interesting. The FR measurements differ from those in post 1 of this thread - yours show no loss of upper bass/lower mid from the mod, just a boost lower down. Were these measurements repeatable?

Thanks, Darren

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #8,047 of 9,602
Very interesting. The FR measurements differ from those in post 1 of this thread - yours show no loss of upper bass/lower mid from the mod, just a boost lower down. Were these measurements repeatable?

Thanks, Darren

Funny enough, the graphs from the first posts were my first measurements. I didn't know much about measuring frequency response charts so I leveled everything to 2khz, not 1khz. The proper way to do it is to level 1khz to 0db. Which is why there's an increase or decrease in the upper bass region. For those measurements I just stuck a microphone into the headphone, there was no seal. This time I did everything properly, using my actual head as a seal, including doing 5 tests for modded and unmodded. These measurements were indeed repeatable. Though the frequency response would change depending on the earcup placements, the difference would always be the same no matter where the positions are.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #8,048 of 9,602
I didn't like the Q701 with the E17. Maybe it has to do with a model number mismatch. Too many 1s and 7s. E9 and Vamp Verza play nice with it but the E17 sounds pretty bland and lifeless in comparison.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #8,049 of 9,602
Funny enough, the graphs from the first posts were my first measurements. I didn't know much about measuring frequency response charts so I leveled everything to 2khz, not 1khz. The proper way to do it is to level 1khz to 0db. Which is why there's an increase or decrease in the upper bass region. For those measurements I just stuck a microphone into the headphone, there was no seal. This time I did everything properly, using my actual head as a seal, including doing 5 tests for modded and unmodded. These measurements were indeed repeatable. Though the frequency response would change depending on the earcup placements, the difference would always be the same no matter where the positions are.

In that case ...

Tdockweiler, perhaps the links in post 1 should be updated?

Thanks nec3 and tdockweiler.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #8,051 of 9,602
I'm driving Q701's with a FiiO E17/E09K combination sourced from Amarra 3 plus sQ equalization, and am very satisfied. No problem at all with damping, even with the 3:1 impedance ratio. Amarra sQ gives the bass bump and treble shelf that makes them sound right for me, and I love its user interface. Regarding comfort, I taped bubble wrap to the headband two years ago and haven't looked back. Ugly, but no-one comes into my cave... I remember how much it used to hurt, and am amazed that AKG keeps making the headband with those stupid bumps. Oh, and another advantage of the E17 is that I can balance the channels to match my hearing loss. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #8,053 of 9,602

It happens. It sounds like you should return them. I am surprised you were caught off guard by the bumps because they must be the single-most discussed issue, in nearly every review I've read, about these headphones, often appearing in reviews of the AKG K712 pro as well (because they latter don't have the bumps). I was very prepared, then, for discomfort before I picked these up, but I was surprised they weren't that bad for me. A couple of posts ago I linked a 10 dollar wool headband on ebay that completely solved any issues for me. But it sounds like you don't really enjoy the sound either, and if that's the case, I would return them for something else. Why did you go with the AKG in the first place, I wonder?

Best of luck to you

Looking at the headband, I couldn't see why it would be particularly uncomfortable. And when I first started using the headphones I was thinking, "ah, this is fine, I don't feel anything; some people must just be really sensitive." I don't know why it causes me headaches; I sense that it's constricting bloodflow. You can see from my avatar I don't have a lot of hair between my scalp and the headphones, so I'm sure that doesn't help. It just kind of bugs me because it's like, they could have made the design not "ribbed"

It's hard to say exactly why I went with the AKG. They were sitting in my shopping cart for over a week while I tried to make sure they were what I wanted.

I originally wanted the Fidelio X2, but their availability in the US has been pretty sketchy. Amazon previously said they would ship in "1 to 2 months" but now they're just sold out completely somehow.

I was looking for a good all-around headphone to use for both (non-competitive) gaming and music. I had tried three different wireless gaming headsets and, again, using my MDR-V6 as my reference point, they were all crappy for music. So I gave up on the idea of a wireless setup.

I did a lot of research on a lot of different sets and almost pulled the trigger on a lot of them, most notably the Sennheiser Momentum. I ultimately went with the Q701. Not only were the Q701 rated very highly for gaming in Mad Lust Envy's thread, the reviews here and elsewhere indicated that they were a great set for music. So I figured they'd be the best of both worlds.

Quote:
  I would get a different headphone. Something with a little more oomph in the low end or midbass hump. The V6's have a mid bass hump. 

Any particular suggestions? I admit it could be the case that my ears are attuned to the MDR-V6. I've been using them exclusively for at least five years now.

I think I also just underestimated how much I like bass. Even though my tastes are pretty varied and not truly bass-centric.

Usually when the Q701 sounds like it has really harsh or aggressive treble it's due to an amp it doesn't seem to like. For example, i'm not a fan of the Magni or O2 with the Q701. It's not that the Q701 requires a warm amp at all, but is rather picky.
When it has a weaker amp it does sound much thinner and more sparkly/fatiguing.

Even the harshest music should never sound painful on the right amp Iwith the Q701 IMO.

I actually have the E17 as a backup amp for my bedroom and it seemed OK for the Q701. I do remember one day though thinking that it made the Q701 sound like it had less bass than usual, but probably my imagination. I actually prefer the E17 to the E10 and E7, but not the E9.

I've found that on the wrong amp it's easy to not like the Q701. I only really like it on a few amps. My favorites are the Headroom Micro Amp, Ifi Ican, E9 and Vali.

Before returning the Q701 I'd try the Q701 with other sources and see if you get better results. You could even try "double amping" maybe a portable source to the E17 and see if it sounds better.
I know this sounds silly, but sometimes double amping isn't as bad as they say! I don't magically hear all this extra distortion or whatever.

I actually once used a K701 with an Ipod to Total Airhead for years. Sounded good to me. I actually like the Q701 with the Airhead more than with the O2(!!)

Maybe you can return the E17 for an E9
biggrin.gif
Fiio E9 is actually pretty nice for the Q701 as a budget amp. More people should use that with the Q701 instead of the Magni or O2. It's not perfect though, but sounds pretty good with the Q701.

Oh and don't believe the nonsense about the 10 ohm output impedance bothering the Q701. It doesn't change it a bit.

Another idea is to see if you can find an older receiver at a thrift store for testing. Most of them let you return them if you don't like them.

Of course there is a chance you'll dislike the Q701 no matter what. I just think it's worth testing the Q701 on other equipment first.

On the K701 I actually went from the Total Airhead to Asgard1, then to the E9 and later the Headroom Micro Amp.
Strangely enough the E9 was a better match for the Q701 than the Asgard 1!

So far the best amps i've heard for it are the Micro and Ifi Ican. Haven't heard the M-Stage, but I bet they offer a similar sound. Same op-amps too.

I might continue to float the Q701 and order a different amp and set of headphones for various headphone/amp combination comparisons; return what doesn't work and keep what does. I was eying the E9 for a while, I went with the E17 for the portability in addition to the DAC, but I also was hoping to get the E9 in addition at some point, so I may end up with both.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #8,054 of 9,602
  Actually I contacted AKG about the bass port mod and they stated:
"It should not void the warranty since the warranty of the unit checks if there is no manufacturing defect."

cool.gif

Wow.  Well, that's huge thumbs up for AKG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back