Q701 impressions thread
Jul 31, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #7,441 of 9,602
If you feel that the bass is too little then it would be much more cost effective to switch to another headphone than buying an amp just to address that issue. Look for a HD650 or wait for the HE400i to come out.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #7,442 of 9,602
If you feel that the bass is too little then it would be much more cost effective to switch to another headphone than buying an just to address that issue. Look for a HD650 or wait for the HE400i to come out.

Oh yeah, thanks for bringing that up.  I meant to post something in my last post and forgot the point.  Bass mod to see if it's enough bass, if not, different headphones might be what you need.  You already have a solid DAC and amp so double-amping doesn't seem like the most cost-effective way to get the sound you're looking for.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #7,445 of 9,602
  you can also do the bass port mod plus changing it to the anni's pads,
i think that will give you about 5db boost in bass.

I haven't tried, but I've heard that doing both is too much and ruins the sound.  I believe Chicolom tried it in his thread about the Q701 vs K702 Anni where he discovered that they're the same (sonically) except for the pads.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #7,446 of 9,602
  I haven't tried, but I've heard that doing both is too much and ruins the sound.  I believe Chicolom tried it in his thread about the Q701 vs K702 Anni where he discovered that they're the same (sonically) except for the pads.

Was just going to say, I did it, and it killed the Q's beautifully open clarity.  I ended up selling the Annie pads, though in hindsight I wish I'd kept them.

As has been mentioned, you needn't leave the bass port fully open, if you find it too much.  Slide some foam over the port for a middle sort of mod.  Replacing the foam donuts under the pads (they sit on top of the driver housing) with wool felt helps ameliorate the peakiness nicely.  That's my current config, and I'm finding the Qs a nice listen while I wait for my HE-560s 
k701smile.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7,447 of 9,602

you are probably right, its only for those who need more bass,
personally i prefer my un modded Q701's sound over my Annie.
Annies are too bassy for me, but comfort wise Annie and K712 is king. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #7,448 of 9,602

Was just going to say, I did it, and it killed the Q's beautifully open clarity.  I ended up selling the Annie pads, though in hindsight I wish I'd kept them.

As has been mentioned, you needn't leave the bass port fully open, if you find it too much.  Slide some foam over the port for a middle sort of mod.  Replacing the foam donuts under the pads (they sit on top of the driver housing) with wool felt helps ameliorate the peakiness nicely.  That's my current config, and I'm finding the Qs a nice listen while I wait for my HE-560s 
k701smile.gif

Can you please specify what exactly you did to your Qs that made them not sound as clear.  Did you only change the pads for the Annies, or did you also do the bass mod?

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #7,449 of 9,602
Post not quoting...

My recollection is that I'd done the bass port mod, then bought the Annie pads and put them on without reversing the mod.  I say that, because they sounded seriously muffled and muddy, at least compared to the stock sound.  The Annie pads were really comfortable, though.  It may be that you'll prefer the sound with the Annies and no bass port mod.  There's only one way to know.  Heck, maybe you'd even prefer them with both.  At least the bass port mod is reversible.

I'd love to give the Annies another whirl, but they're just a bit too pricey, and I don't mind the stock pads at all, and absolutely loved them with my HE-500s (and hopefully with the HE-560s, too).

HTH.

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #7,450 of 9,602
I preferred the Annie pads on the stock Q701 and the stock pads on the bass port modded Q701.  Bass port + Annie pads are too much IMO.  It does muddy the bass too much.  But if you want to get more bass out of your Q's and don't want to do the mod, the Annie's are a nice option.

The Annie pads are much more comfortable though.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #7,451 of 9,602

Thanks for reminding me about Chicolom's very informative comparison between the Q701 pads and Annie pads.

Anyone have an idea as to whether the Annie pads are still available for purchase and if so how much they cost?

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #7,452 of 9,602
  Thanks for reminding me about Chicolom's very informative comparison between the Q701 pads and Annie pads.

Anyone have an idea as to whether the Annie pads are still available for purchase and if so how much they cost?

You have to get them direct from the source.  If you're in the US, it's Harmon USA's parts department.  Last I checked, they were around $60 for the pair.  You'll have to do some Googling to get the phone number, but the info is out there.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #7,453 of 9,602
  You have to get them direct from the source.  If you're in the US, it's Harmon USA's parts department.  Last I checked, they were around $60 for the pair.  You'll have to do some Googling to get the phone number, but the info is out there.

Or also possibly Frank who works in parts at AKG, that is, according to posters on Chicolom's thread.

I am wondering how easy it is to switch between the pads?

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #7,454 of 9,602
  Or also possibly Frank who works in parts at AKG, that is, according to posters on Chicolom's thread.

I am wondering how easy it is to switch between the pads?

Frank is no longer with AKG.

It is very easy to switch between pads.  Slight counter-clockwise turn to take them off...slight clockwise turn to put them on.  I actually really like their mechanism.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #7,455 of 9,602
Some of you might have seen about a week ago how I had wired my Q701 up to my Emotiva Mini-X speaker amp. At first I had just used the bare wire into the binding posts, then I got some Banana plugs and wired them up that way. My first attempt at making them look good and strong was a bit of a weak attempt. Well today I found some metal sleeves to press into the banana plugs since the Q701 wire is so tiny, and the Banana plugs accept up to a 12 gauge wire. I also got some heat shrink tubing. The sleeves with the smaller ID and the heat shrink tubing essentially allowed me to make some very strong, and IMO some pretty decent looking strain reliefs. The heavy and all metal banana plugs coupled with the very small gauge wire of the Q701 cable seems a lot less fragile now. I left a little bit of the colored wire uncovered by the heat shrink tubing so I can tell which wires are which color so I know which is left, right, and ground when I hook it up. 

Let me know what you guys think, but I think it looks a hell of a lot better and stronger now:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back