Q701 impressions thread
Jul 25, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #7,352 of 9,602
It's not the bass it's the treble, this headphone just sounds overall thin compared to others. 

I feel like the X1 would suit him better. Top hits and dubstep isn't usually the best source

Again, they can be EQ'ed to fix that as well. I have a PEQ with infinite number of bands and with the Q701 I'm perfectly content with only using 4 PEQ bands to make these sound perfect for my taste.
either I don't know properly use an to eq but changing one thing leads to another problem, and makes the headphone sound too much different.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #7,353 of 9,602
Someone brought up a point earlier about other AKG headphones like newer K702s and the K612s/K712s not having bumps on their headband, which explains the lower price of the Q701s.

Yes, my conclusion too. A commercial decision that bugs me. It would be simple (surely) for AKG to switch headbands but they don't, why? I hope it's not an attempt to push people to the K712 because, tough, I went for Sennheiser.

It's sad because from within the AKG stable there's the making of an awesome headphone but the mix of components is so often wrong.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #7,354 of 9,602
It really depends on the recording. You need an amp with these too, as well as music with properly encoded at least 256kbps or above. Anything under 256 sounds horrid.

Bass on these phones is a bass you can hear but not really feel (unmodded of course).

Well I was planning on running these off my motherboard, it says it has a build in amp that can drive up to 600ohm headphones. Should I invest in a amp/dac or just use my motherboard? 

Don't know, you'd have to test it out. Buy the headphone and if you don't like it return it? We all hear different so maybe you'll like them for dubstep.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #7,355 of 9,602
The Q701 stock will do a sub-par job with dubstep I think.

The bass mod will bring the low bass up to "neutral" so dubstep will be more acceptable.

Measurements for both are linked on first page of this thread.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #7,356 of 9,602
  Well I was planning on running these off my motherboard, it says it has a build in amp that can drive up to 600ohm headphones. Should I invest in a amp/dac or just use my motherboard? 

Sounds like you're going for a square peg in a round hole.  These headphones won't sound good with your music and won't sound good out of your motherboard.  You're better off looking for different headphones that will work with what you have.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #7,357 of 9,602
either I don't know properly use an to eq but changing one thing leads to another problem, and makes the headphone sound too much different.

It depends on the EQ and how you use it. A PEQ with adjustable bandwidth really helps. My EQ changes are simple and subtle. I added an extra touch of sub bass and tamed the two peaks, the small one at 2k, and the bigger one between 6k and 8k, and I added a bit at 14k and up to add a little extra sparkle and air. It's subtle but it makes all the difference.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #7,358 of 9,602
hey all I'm seriously considering to make these my next purchase. would you say the magni would drive these well?  All advice appreciated 
beyersmile.png

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #7,359 of 9,602
  hey all I'm seriously considering to make these my next purchase. would you say the magni would drive these well?  All advice appreciated 
beyersmile.png

People seem to prefer the Vali to the Magni with these.  I haven't heard either so I can't say from experience.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #7,361 of 9,602
  much appreciated
beyersmile.png
 but will I need to constantly replace tubes?

They're soldered in.  I don't even know if they're user-replaceable... It's not really that kind of amp.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #7,363 of 9,602
  I see cerebral palsy keeps me away from wanting anything delicate so I wasn't considering tubes. good to know
beyersmile.png

Hmmm, you might want to research the microphonics issue a bit then.  I'd recommend hitting up the Vali thread and seeing if you think it might be an issue for you.  Basically, when you tap or move the unit, it makes a "ringing" sound that can last for 30s+ and bothers some people, while others don't seem to notice or care.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #7,364 of 9,602
Let's not forget the baby carseat strap cover method.

http://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Collections-Strap-Graphite/dp/B0013IGZIE

I use these (turned inside out) just wrapped around the headband and it works fine.  You can just walk in and get em at Babies R Us or the like.  I happened to have extras from the carseat that my son has outgrown.  Bonus!

Photo of someone else shamelessly ripped from earlier in the thread.  I'm pretty sure that's @Evshrug
.  He uses the exact same one as me.

Hot damn, forgot about that picture (did I really post that in-thread?). I don't think I'm cool (or quiet) enough to be like Head-Fi'er Andy with his Jecklin Floats and two-post history.

I see cerebral palsy keeps me away from wanting anything delicate so I wasn't considering tubes. good to know :beyersmile:

I haven't heard the Vali, but from the reviews it has just the qualities I like from an amp. I've had a tube amp for over two years, I don't always use it but I haven't burned out a tube yet. Schiit's website lists how long the special (small) tubes in the Vali last, and they're not intended to be user-serviceable (can send it in to have Schiit do it for you). I know the tubes last at least 1,000 hours, fairly longer than a lightbulb or something. I don't think you'd have any problems with the Vali unless you left it running all the time or tap your hands on the enclosure while listening.

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #7,365 of 9,602
hey all I'm seriously considering to make these my next purchase. would you say the magni would drive these well?  All advice appreciated :beyersmile:

Magni is great with the q710's, probably my favourite amp with them.

Haven't heard the Vali so can't compare them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back