Q701 impressions thread
Jun 11, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #6,916 of 9,602
Depending on your sound card, you might not hear much improvement with a Modi.  I didn't so I returned mine.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that and here's my reasoning.

I've tried the ODAC and Vali paired the Q701 and to my ears it was comparable and competes with the D100. Very similar sounding, the ODAC/Vali and D100. The D100 edges out maybe by a slight bit with better dynamics with the fatter bottom end and more airy highs (treble sensitive people need not apply and should go the Vali route though).

So the fact that people say the Modi and Odac are neck to neck, my only conclusion would be the Optical transport as the reason why its not much of an improvement. Regardless of the pure digital signal, it still needs the soundcard to process the 1's and 0's. The optical output you used is from the soundcard or built-in to the motherboard right? And just to throw it out there... its been said that coaxial or a nice usb receiver is a better route than toslink. I'd say give their usb version a try..

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #6,917 of 9,602
I have the biggest urge to just sell the q701, and maybe in he future buy the K712 when the price drops

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #6,919 of 9,602
I have the biggest urge to just sell the q701, and maybe in he future buy the K712 when the price drops

Save your money and just do the bass port mod! If you can't get that you can just get some K712 pads.
Hopefully the K712 hits $300. It's not worth $379 really.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #6,920 of 9,602
  If anyone is interested, the k400 i picked up shares a similar sound signature as my q701. If you think the q701 is bass lite, then don't bother with the k400 hehe

I would say they're similar too, but K400 has less treble and more of a bass roll-off.
K400 is also a lot thinner sounding too with stock pads. K601 fixes this a little bit.

I have an EP and LP version and use the EP a lot more. I found a version like new on Amazon about 6 months ago for $60 or so.
They actually have different internal designs and sound similar. My EP's insides look more like a K500.

I actually prefer the K400 to the K501, but not the K601.

Q701 is better than all of them of course
biggrin.gif

FYI if anyone is interested I think the K501 has the largest soundstage of any AKG. Even more so than the K702. It's actually not so much a positive and one reason I prefer the K400.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #6,921 of 9,602

Save your money and just do the bass port mod! If you can't get that you can just get some K712 pads.
Hopefully the K712 hits $300. It's not worth $379 really.

It should, I feel like that's the real price it should be set at. Maybe in a year.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #6,922 of 9,602

+2 to the bass port mod.  If your issue with the Q's is the bass, it really does make a difference.

However, the K712's don't have the stupid headband bumps.

But the Q's only sell for around 150-180 used now (I think?) - even if the K712 price drops to $300, is it worth 2x the price to you?

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #6,923 of 9,602
Yes because of comfort. I dont have a problem with how the headphone sounds.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #6,925 of 9,602

Have you tried some of the suggestions in this thread?  Personally, I put a headphone pad that is made up of a pouch of memory foam.  I don't have a large head so it fits with the bumps still on.  Others with a large head may have an issue that it doesn't extend far enough.

Other people cut the bumps off.

Another idea is put something (foam tape I think) in between the bumps to make it level.

Can anyone help with this?

It would work...likely isn't optimal but it would drive them.  I feel like MadLustEnvy commented on the pairing of the Mixamp and the Q701's...if it wasn't MLE, it was someone for sure.  Do a search and you may be able to find it (it wasn't recent...I'd say over a year ago if that helps).

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #6,926 of 9,602

Have you tried some of the suggestions in this thread?  Personally, I put a headphone pad that is made up of a pouch of memory foam.  I don't have a large head so it fits with the bumps still on.  Others with a large head may have an issue that it doesn't extend far enough.

Other people cut the bumps off.

Another idea is put something (foam tape I think) in between the bumps to make it level.

Can anyone help with this?

It would work...likely isn't optimal but it would drive them.  I feel like MadLustEnvy commented on the pairing of the Mixamp and the Q701's...if it wasn't MLE, it was someone for sure.  Do a search and you may be able to find it (it wasn't recent...I'd say over a year ago if that helps).

I have foam on it that helps with the bumps but the pads are uncomfortable too. It just looks super ghetto.

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #6,927 of 9,602
Would I be able to use my Astro Mixamp for the time being to power it?

It's not going to sound great for music and you're not going to be able to get enough volume for competitive gaming AND chat. If any of those sound like a problem, you're going to want an amp to go with it.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #6,930 of 9,602
Got to agree.  I can see where people are coming from with the headband bumps, but the pads are great.  Every time I put them on after wearing my HP100's all day, it feels like I'm wearing just puffy air around my ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back