Q701 impressions thread
Jun 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #6,901 of 9,602
  The M-stage seems to be the best option, but finding one cheap may be an issue.

I didn't know that you couldn't change tubes in the Vali, That makes it a bit pointless. I'll have a look into the little dot. 

I'll probably be selling my M-Stage soon as I'm pretty happy with my new Audio-GD NFB-15.32.  The amps seem almost indistinguishable and the DAC on the 15.32 is really really nice.

If you already have a good DAC, and it sounds like you do, the M-Stage is a great pairing with the Q.  Otherwise, yeah, I've heard the Vali and the LD I+ recommended a lot in this thread.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #6,902 of 9,602

I'll probably be selling my M-Stage soon as I'm pretty happy with my new Audio-GD NFB-15.32.  The amps seem almost indistinguishable and the DAC on the 15.32 is really really nice.

If you already have a good DAC, and it sounds like you do, the M-Stage is a great pairing with the Q.  Otherwise, yeah, I've heard the Vali and the LD I+ recommended a lot in this thread.

Let me know when you put it up for sale. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #6,904 of 9,602
  someone heard the Lovely cube amp with the Q701 here? im asking myself how the LC sound compare to the M-stage or the NFB15.32. (with the Q701...)

I've never even heard of it, sorry.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #6,906 of 9,602
  The Modi is not a cold dac at all, in fact I might say it's a pretty warm dac. It became certain to me after I got the DM100 that the Modi leans more towards the dark side. The Magni on the other hand, I can't recommend for the Q701. Tried it, regretted it.

Have you tried the ODAC? The ODAC is actually colder than the Modi, but I can't  put them into the warm/cold category. Both seems neutral enough to me.

I don't find the Modi warm since it sounds great with the HD-650 and darker headphone. However it DOES seem to be slightly warmer sounding than my Headroom Micro DAC (which uses the CS4398).

Modi is definitely not an analytical sounding DAC, which is good for me. Same with the ODAC.

BTW I just now realized what the DM100 was and that you had a T1. The only time I found some slightly warmth hidden away in the Modi was when I used it with the T90! Not sure how that compares to the T1.
I just know that the Modi is not dark enough to reduce the treble on the Q701 or make it less bright. I haven't tried it with the DT-880 though or a Grado SR-325is.
I do think the Modi might be a good match for the HD-800. It might take the edge off that. Not like many people use a $100 DAC with a $1500 headphone though!

For reference I found my E17, E10 loaner and even the HRT MSII to be darker than the Modi. MSII seems to be warmer than all of them and has a small soundstage IMO.
I didn't realize what I was missing on the Q701 until I tried the ODAC and then later side-graded to the Modi (which I found slightly better).

I also didn't like the Magni with the Q701. I had a very early version though. Vali is a much better match.
When I get rich I want to try the Lyr or Valhalla with the Q701. The trick is finding out which of those will also sound good with my HD-650.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #6,907 of 9,602
I've tried the ODAC but it was paired with the O2 amp, so I cannot pull any conclusion on that since the related factors are not limited. Cambridge stuff is known for being bright, so that could be the reason why I found the Modi a bit warm, because it is compared to DM100.

The Q701 *might* pair well with the Lyr, I've heard the Lyr with several cans (HD800, T1, K712) but not the Q701. It was fed by the Bifrost and IMO sounded absolutely brilliant, no peaky highs with the former 2 cans so I guess if you want to tame a bit of the highs of the Q701 it could do the job. It was the 1st Gen. Lyr by the way.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #6,908 of 9,602

The Q701 *might* pair well with the Lyr, I've heard the Lyr with several cans (HD800, T1, K712) but not the Q701. It was fed by the Bifrost and IMO sounded absolutely brilliant, no peaky highs with the former 2 cans so I guess if you want to tame a bit of the highs of the Q701 it could do the job. It was the 1st Gen. Lyr by the way.

It's certainly not a bad pairing with the Lyr + Bifrost Uber Stack o' Schiit (that's Bifrost Uber, not Uber Stack o' Schiit  
wink.gif
).  I don't think I'd buy either if all I had was the Q701s.  I got the Lyr to drive my HE-500s, but I do plug in the Q701s occasionally.  I wouldn't swear to this, but I think the Qs may show differences in tubes more than the HE-500s.  That's a test for another day.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #6,911 of 9,602
An excellent album for this headphone. Take a listen to Jewelry box, and The Twelve Tones.

http://rebeccabrandt.bandcamp.com/album/numbers-shapes

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #6,915 of 9,602
Quite an unbeatable rig for the price is an ODac/Modi + Vali and a Q701 (specially at sale prices). That's a full system for $400ish.

Depending on your sound card, you might not hear much improvement with a Modi.  I didn't so I returned mine.  (Both the Yulong and the Audio-DG DACs I have now sound noticeably better, so it's not my ears.)

I don't have any experiences with amps in that price range, but yeah people like the Vali and the Little Dot I+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back