Q701 impressions thread
Jun 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #6,872 of 9,602

The pairing is fantastic. The Vali in comparison to most amps have an average soundstage but paired with the Qs, it's a nice balance that brings things in a bit. Adds some sweetness and warmth to the Qs sterile sound as well (stock).

A really good bang-for-buck system would be Modi (USB) or ODAC, Vali, and Q701s. For about $400 it's a fantastic set.

I've been wanting to de-mod my q701's so I could try the stock version with the vali but I haven't been able to get myself to do it, it just sounds soo perfect now XD

I agree with this despite not being a fan of the Vali for much else. The Vali sounded nearly like a clone of Headroom Micro Amp (and upgraded power supply) with the Q701. That amp cost me around $350 when I bought it a few years ago. The Vali being able to nearly match that sound for $350 is pretty impressive. I still have a hard time suggesting the Vali unless it's for an AKG.

I actually did not really feel the Vali added anything to how the Q701 normally sounds. Sounded transparent. No tube-like sound or whatever. For me the Q701 has never been analytical/clinical sounding unless it was on a weaker amp or just one it hates.

Anyway, I wonder why the Vali is so good with the Q701? When I tried the HD-650 the Vali seemed to change it's tune and not sound so good. I had this happen with my DJ100 too. The problem is that the bass was not well controlled, but with the Q701 it was perfect.

For the HD-650 the Magni/O2 or Micro were all better, which is kind of strange.

BTW FYI the Vali is very similar in sound also to the ifi Ican with the Q701. The ican is a touch warmer and more closed in sounding though. It also cost nearly 3x as much!

Vali vs the M-Stage for the Q701 would be a nice review. This would give me an idea of how my current amp compares to the M-Stage. I bet they're quite similar.

I actually read your review on the vali before I bought it. It pairs really well with my modded sr80i's as well. 

When I first listened to the combo the q701 was still a bit clinical sounding for my ears but after some amp break in/headphone burn in there is a bit of warmth in the pairing and I do hear some warmth in the Vali(More so than when I got it). This transition took quite a bit of time though. Sounds good with neutral to bright headphones I have but it seems to be picky with headphones that are warm or if they have some body in its sound sig or both
confused.gif
. Still haven't really put my finger on what is causing the pairing problems that some headphones have with the Vali.

With the Vali, the modded Q701's bass is still really tight but was a bit loose with the Aune T1 when I had it.

All in all it is an amazing performer. Really happy 

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6,873 of 9,602
  I've been wanting to de-mod my q701's so I could try the stock version with the vali but I haven't been able to get myself to do it, it just sounds soo perfect now XD

I reversed the mod and kept it that way for over a month. Too lazy to switch back and the Q701 wasn't getting much use. When I finally did switch back it was like a night and day difference. Not even kidding.

To me the Q701 modded is just much more full sounding, but yet it doesn't feel as if the signature is majorly changed. I have no clue how this is possible!

You know that in graphs the modded Q701 has less low mids, but yet they SOUND much fuller. Bass is definitely improved too obviously. I experienced this same thing when I modded an HD-600. I got it's mids to sound clearer, yet fuller. I don't know what on earth causes this. I think on the HD-600 though I reduced the upper bass slightly. To mod the HD-600 it actually is the opposite of the Q701. You have to restrict air to get it to sound better.

Previously I had used my HD-650 for movies/gaming, but now the modded Q701 gets the job done.

Unfortunately my Q701 still sounds pretty bad out of some amps for me even when modded.

It's a tad disappointing (for me) with the O2 and Bravo V2 (even with a warmer sounding tube). What's funny is that I replaced the opamp in the O2 to an OPA2227 and it sounded better with the Q701 but was WAY too warm for the HD-650. Right now i'm using the LM4562 which is better than stock at least (well, maybe not technically, but to my ears).

OPA2227 seems warmer than the OPA2134, so O2 + OPA2134 might be the perfect combo for the Q701. That thing is in the E9, Micro and M-Stage along with the ifi Ican.

Sorry, oops got talking about the Q701 and amps.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #6,874 of 9,602
I know this is going to sound odd, but I'm looking for recommendations for an IEM here. I'm asking here because I absolutely love the Q701's, and I know people who like the Q701's will have similar tastes as me in regards to IEM's.

I'm looking for an IEM that sounds exactly (if not, inches close to similar to the Q701)
Y'know:
Tight, detailed bass 
Amazingly forwarded mids
Detailed highs
Big soundstage
Isn't sensitive to wind noise (looking at you sony 7550's, and yes, the Q701's are not susceptible to wind noise, I tested!)

And uhm, this is going to be the huge deal breaker: Under $250.

I really don't want to spend over $250... Again... but it's the summer and I can't handle using my V-Moda's anymore.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #6,875 of 9,602
  I know this is going to sound odd, but I'm looking for recommendations for an IEM here. I'm asking here because I absolutely love the Q701's, and I know people who like the Q701's will have similar tastes as me in regards to IEM's.

I'm looking for an IEM that sounds exactly (if not, inches close to similar to the Q701)
Y'know:
Tight, detailed bass 
Amazingly forwarded mids
Detailed highs
Big soundstage
Isn't sensitive to wind noise (looking at you sony 7550's, and yes, the Q701's are not susceptible to wind noise, I tested!)

I really don't want to spend over $250... Again... but it's the summer and I can't handle using my V-Moda's anymore.

I don't think you even need to spend up to $250 to get that. That said, have you considered the Etymotic ER4S?

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #6,876 of 9,602
The 7550 in my memory doesn't have the same air and extension as the Q701. It's also got a bit more sweetness to its mids, that Sony house sound. Soundstage is fantastic for an IEM however and the bass doesn't extend as low and have as much impact as a modded Q, maybe stock but the 7550 has a rolled bass.

I've never heard the 1000 but I would presume it's treble is similar to the Qs, more so than the 7550. The 7550 is cheaper, more common, and isn't too far off. If you want more treble you could play with removing the stuffing in the nozzle which cuts the treble but I've never heard of anyone trying that.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #6,877 of 9,602
^^

Y'know:

Tight, detailed bass 

Amazingly forwarded mids

Detailed highs

Big soundstage

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #6,878 of 9,602

Y'know:

Tight, detailed bass 

Amazingly forwarded mids

Detailed highs

Big soundstage

Definetly Etymotic ER4 or hf5. The HF5 is apparently the same driver as the er4 it's just assembled in China making it quite a bargain. I have owned k701s and er4s for 8+ years and I don't think you will find any iem closer for under $250 and maybe not for any price.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #6,879 of 9,602
I always thought that my Vsonic GR01 which is a TWFK balanced armature variant sounded pretty close to my Q701. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #6,880 of 9,602
Etymotic ER4S.
$370. My wallet. The darn IEM is double the cost of what I bought my Q701's for. Darn the Canadian pricings!
Anyhow, I wanted an IEM that sounded like my AKG Q701's.
Everything sounds fairly close (obviously more open, and obviously 100x larger soundstage)

So uh, wait, what was that? Was there just a breeze in the subway tunnels? OH, THAT'S THE SUBWAY. Sorry, could you repeat that again? Did you say schiit? Oh!~ Yes! They need amping.

Putting these on, and just standing there in the subway train, it was like I was in a movie where the audio mutes. Being able to play these at a very low volume is very satisfying, although do note that if you don't want to hear your own heartbeat, footsteps, or your neck joints grinding; it's needed to have something playing.

There indeed is a burn-in process. At first it's very congested and cold, but it opens up to sound natural and very, very neutral.

However, I'm a cold/analytical/neutral lover. I didn't even know it.
When I went to the headfoneshop to buy the IEM's and I got to know the owner more, he thought I was on the extreme side.
I remember his comments.
"Y'know, people buy tube amps to make the Q's warmer, not an ODAC to make it colder!"
"Uhhhh.... no the DT1350 is neutral, you're the first person who said it's fun"
Heh.

I also forgot to mention.

The shop owner also recommended that I upgraded the cables for the Q701. He said it'll tighten the bass and take out the grain from the highs.
Is this true? Is the $90 cable replacement worth it? Mind you, the Q701's are my summit headphones. My next step would be an HD800 and a tube amplifier.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #6,881 of 9,602
  $370. My wallet. The darn IEM is double the cost of what I bought my Q701's for.

snip

The shop owner also recommended that I upgraded the cables for the Q701. He said it'll tighten the bass and take out the grain from the highs.
Is this true? Is the $90 cable replacement worth it? Mind you, the Q701's are my summit headphones. My next step would be an HD800 and a tube amplifier.

1 - You neglected to mention what IEM you bought.

2 - Good lord, no!  $90 on a cable for a $200 headphone?  Just get a K712 if you're going to spend that money.

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #6,884 of 9,602
The ODAC doesn't make the Q's colder. They are cold, period. IMO of course.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #6,885 of 9,602
The ODAC doesn't make the Q's colder. They are cold, period. IMO of course.

ODAC or Modi didn't do this for me also, but the Magni and O2 did, but just a little. It took awhile for me to figure this out. Usually when someone doesn't like the ODAC or Modi it's the amp's fault!

The only time I got the Q701 to sound really too cold/thin was with a Magni + docked Ipod Touch 2G. That was the worst combo i've ever heard. Both of those are thin and bright to me.

I actually think the ODAC and Modi are better products than the amps they go with!

To me a cold headphone is the DT-880 and maybe the MDR-SA3000. The KRKs can often sound this way but less so with the KNS-8400.
I actually think even the original K702 has a slight touch of warmth, but that was only in comparison to the DT-880 I had at the time.

I'm surprised anyone could call the Q701 "cold", but that's OK. I even have the HD-650 around.

Maybe my Q701 is a version that sounds different than some of the others. Maybe this one is also darker. Highly unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back