Q701 impressions thread
Apr 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #6,571 of 9,602
I have no idea why I'm asking this question, as I sort of know the answer. Although your SB omni outputs 600 ohms... @_@

I'm guessing these values are just marketting tactics?

Just wanted to chime in on this, ohms are only part of the amping equation, and the way soundcard manufacturers use it amounts to "just marketing fluff."

To make an analogy, it's like trying to figure out speed just from knowing the distance travelled...without knowing how much time it took.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #6,572 of 9,602
I heard you got the HD600's. I noticed that the highs in those aren't rolled of unlike the Q701's after ~12khz, did you notice any difference in regards to those extreme highs?

I bought the 650's which are a bit different to the 600's. The treble is much better to my ears. I can certainly understand why someone might be disappointed though. The treble is far more muted compared to the Q but I like that. There's just as much detail but it doesn't shout about it. It's sharp as a knife too. Very quick transient responses. I even prefer the soundstage because it's not as wide as the Q.

Go figure :) :) :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #6,573 of 9,602
Yes, I fully expect to lose SQ over the Q701 when moving from a nice open, home setup to a closed, portable setup.  I'm okay with that given my expected listening situations.  How would you rate them in comparison to peers like the Momentum or Sony 1R?  I suspect the K545 will be closer to my preferences (modded Q) than anything else I can get for $200 or less.
I have both and find the K545 while a bit different to be a good alternative to my modded Q701. Soundsgoodtome has summerized them pretty well but I would say they are higher than 80% of the SQ closer to 90%.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #6,574 of 9,602
I have both and find the K545 while a bit different to be a good alternative to my modded Q701. Soundsgoodtome has summerized them pretty well but I would say they are higher than 80% of the SQ closer to 90%.

Thanks, dweaver.  I'm about halfway through the K545 thread (been working on it for hours!).  I'm waiting to read up on why there are so many reviews on Amazon talking about DOA sets...

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #6,575 of 9,602
  This is my fourth drop test with the Q701's, had a heart attack and watched them drop headband first on the floor. Whew.

That sounds like it was the very best orientation it could have fallen. I recall someone saying elsewhere that an AKG representative commented that the headband (presumably the rods) is virtually unbreakable. It must be composed of some synthetic material, like a variety of carbon fiber, that gives it such incredible resilience.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #6,576 of 9,602

That sounds like it was the very best orientation it could have fallen. I recall someone saying elsewhere that an AKG representative commented that the headband (presumably the rods) is virtually unbreakable. It must be composed of some synthetic material, like a variety of carbon fiber, that gives it such incredible resilience.

Or plastic coated steel
wink_face.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #6,578 of 9,602
They're not plastic coated steel, are they?

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #6,580 of 9,602
Sounds like marketing bollox to me :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #6,582 of 9,602
I imagine the steel has some carbon in it and the plastic coating would contain carbon :xf_eek:

In much the same way as everything contains carbon. So Sheldon Cooper says :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #6,583 of 9,602
Hello.

I have q701 and NAD 3020 and it sounds as a tube amp with soundstage and liquid sound. I love it. I'm listen jazz now.

:)

Which output r u using? Have u able to use speaker out.?

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #6,585 of 9,602

One of those allegedly alien substances that got the CIA on AKG's tail for the longest time until Sennheiser had the gall to release their Cyberman helmet, right?

Unfortunately most of this alien substance has been acquired by the powers that be and given to two musicians to change the way of musical recordings away from the destructive ways also known as loudness wars. The aliens that substances came from were highly musical beings and only way to relate to us was via radio waves picked up from space, not much else. The aliens wanted to gift something back to us and show us that our creation of music was fantastic for us and to them, so they've blessed these precious metals and sent them via space rock express. When it landed here, it was mistaken for Roswell stuff but really it was acquired and recently release. Two helmets were created for this and now we have fantastic music that's new and well recorded, which led to recent grammy winning stuff.

It's a rumor but here's what those musical blessed metals were made into:

In recognition to these alien beings but keeping it under covers, this track was made:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back