Q701 impressions thread
Apr 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #6,421 of 9,602
I'm asking because if you're looking for portability then I would highly recommend the audioengine d3. You gotta look into what it takes to run on a cell phone though, I think it's as simple as a 24bit player like Neutron that bypasses the Android 16bit and puts the audio directly to usb.
From my phone via OTG USB. There should be no difference.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #6,422 of 9,602
Not at all. I don't see it as either/or. Mixing and mastering with headphones in addition to speakers is a very good idea ... and many engineers do so.

That was my point.

But mixing (and the mastering stage) should still be primarily oriented towards loudspeakers.

Look at how much is potentially reproduced in surround sound:
Movie soundtracks
TV sound tracks
TV commercials

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #6,423 of 9,602
For example, I found that an E17 was not as open sounding and detailed as an iBasso D12 DAC.
The Beresford Bushmaster Mk II is even more detailed than the iBasso D12.

But the E17 was a worthwhile addition to my old HP notebook computer, the HP had a horrible sounding headphone jack, dark, muted, muddy.

In most cases, the HP laptops have very poor sound quality from a poorly implemented, low poor performing DAC chip. I cannot refind the RMAA result currently, but it had about a -70dB SNR--terrible noise and a static mess, a recipe for sonic disaster, and it usually is bandaged up by Beats Audio to sound even worse.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #6,424 of 9,602
Any of you Q owners also got a copy of "Lungs" by Florence & The Machine. Is it unbearably bright or is it just me?

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #6,426 of 9,602
In most cases, the HP laptops have very poor sound quality from a poorly implemented, low poor performing DAC chip. I cannot refind the RMAA result currently, but it had about a -70dB SNR--terrible noise and a static mess, a recipe for sonic disaster, and it usually is bandaged up by Beats Audio to sound even worse.

Gotta be more to it than a 70 dB SNR.
Vinyl typically has a similar SNR and some vinyl sounds fantastic.
Poor power supply filtering perhaps.
Poor grounding, shielding, etc.
It has a little sticker on it reading "Altec Lansing" to make us think it is professional sound gear...:rolleyes:

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #6,427 of 9,602
Hey guys my Q701s finally died on me. The right ear just went out one day. I'm planning on buying new headphones, and I've been through 2 so far.

The "Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms" and the "Audio-Technica ATH-A900X."

The DT 770 weren't good. They sounded so colored. The mids were recessed and the treble was ear piercing. The only thing I really liked was the punchy bass.

The A900x were pretty good, but I still preferred the sound of my AKG K271 mk2 and Q701 over them. I really liked the soundstage and that was about it. The trebles were a bit too much for me as well. Compared to the Q701, vocals lacked presence and there was no sub-bass. While the Q701 may not be a "bassy" headphone you can at least hear it and sub-bass has very good presence. The bass for the A900x was really punchy like the DT 770, but only for kicks and snares. It felt like the A900x's roll off below 80 Hz.

I only burned both of these headphones for 100+ hours. Don't know if that will be a factor. I also used the Schiit Modi/Magni setup with their PYST cables.

I really want to try different headphones around $200, but it's getting hard to find any that match the same sound quality as the Q701s. Do you guys have any suggestions or should I just order another pair of Q701s?

P.S. I was going to try the AKG K550s but there's way too many bad reviews for it.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #6,428 of 9,602
  Hey guys my Q701s finally died on me. The right ear just went out one day. I'm planning on buying new headphones, and I've been through 2 so far.

The DT 770 weren't good. They sounded so colored. The mids were recessed and the treble was ear piercing. The only thing I really liked was the punchy bass.

The A900x were pretty good, but I still preferred the sound of my AKG K271 mk2 and Q701 over them. I really liked the soundstage and that was about it. The trebles were a bit too much for me as well. Compared to the Q701, vocals lacked presence and there was no sub-bass. While the Q701 may not be a "bassy" headphone you can at least hear it and sub-bass has very good presence. The bass for the A900x was really punchy like the DT 770, but only for kicks and snares. It felt like the A900x's roll off below 80 Hz.

I only burned both of these headphones for 100+ hours. Don't know if that will be a factor. I also used the Schiit Modi/Magni setup with their PYST cables.

I really want to try different headphones around $200, but it's getting hard to find any that match the same sound quality as the Q701s. Do you guys have any suggestions or should I just order another pair of Q701s?

P.S. I was going to try the AKG K550s but there's way too many bad reviews for it.

I've been hearing good things about the K612 as an alternative to the Q701. You're still in AKG territory, but it's a little cheaper and a little different sound.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #6,429 of 9,602

The Sennheiser HD598 have a warm sound and laid-back character that I personally like.  I suspect that Q701 are better than the HD598 with your DAC+amp combination; if your only headphone DAC+amp combo were a dragonfly (as it is for me), the difference between the Q701 and the HD598 would be reduced to a matter of sonic character; on the other hand, the Q701, having a much more even impedance curve, works better than the HD598 with my NAD amplifier, with which the HD598's mid-bass is over-emphasized.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #6,430 of 9,602

Try some Audiotechnica ESW9. They're mid centric phones with a lush wood sound. Bass/sub bass has good presence that extends well. Highs have a roll off and 0 sibilance. A lot of people shy away from them because they're marketed as portables... but they sound fantastic IMO. Lambskin headband and pads are a nice touch and they look very classy. Sound fantastic straight to a phone as well.

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #6,431 of 9,602
  Try some Audiotechnica ESW9. They're mid centric phones with a lush wood sound. Bass/sub bass has good presence that extends well. Highs have a roll off and 0 sibilance. A lot of people shy away from them because they're marketed as portables... but they sound fantastic IMO. Lambskin headband and pads are a nice touch and they look very classy. Sound fantastic straight to a phone as well.

Hmm I might actually get these. I'm really looking for a lot of detail. How's the soundstage for the ESW9? I love how with the Q701s I can hear all the instruments seperately and clearly. There's no collision.

Do you enjoy listening to music more with the ESW9 vs Q701?

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #6,433 of 9,602
The soundstage and imagining is quite good for closed backs. It goes quite wide but not as deep forward, I would say the soundstage is comparable to the dt880 semi open. Depth is not quite front row listeners like Shure SRH1440S but close. Separation is very good, easily stay with different instruments if you chose to follow one in an array. Very impressive.

The mids are creamy, forward just enough to emphasize but not overly like Shure's sound sig. The decay adds a pleasant calm to music, a relaxing set but far from a slouch. I have described it before as having a tube sound in the chain but straight to a portable device. Fantastic for vocals, acoustics, jazz, and classical but can handle most genres quite well except maybe hard rock or metal. Just doesn't have the speed for it nor does the sound sig match.

Esw9 are very under rated and under reviewed on here. As for which I prefer more, I can't pick. It's really depending on what sound sig I'm in the mood for, I can achieve a nice warmth and decay with the Qs via tube amp but the esw9 are definite go-to if you need to control sound leak or want some isolation, wouldn't use it in a loud setting though. The two are very different and quite complimentary.
Hmm I might actually get these. I'm really looking for a lot of detail. How's the soundstage for the ESW9? I love how with the Q701s I can hear all the instruments seperately and clearly. There's no collision.

Do you enjoy listening to music more with the ESW9 vs Q701?

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #6,434 of 9,602
Here's where I'm at. These headphones are giving me the best sound I have personally ever heard. The clarity, depth, width, attack is as good as I want it to be. But (you knew there was one) I'm finding the peak in the treble very fatiguing. So much so that I nearly pulled the trigger on a pair of HD650's this morning. Thing is I can't really justify the expense of those and so I'm looking for help in toning down this problem.

I believe there's a slight peak around 2k and I'm thinking if I can find a way to reduce this I might just be able to save a lot of money. I'm using JRiver and it has parametric options. It has lots of options, lol. Can anyone tell me what "Q" refers to? Is it the "width" of the adjustment I make?

For instance, if I set the high-shelf frequency to 2100Hz and then set gain to -3db does this mean that when I set the Q value to 6 the adjustment will apply to the frequency range of 1800Hz to 2400Hz? Does that sound logical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back