Q701 impressions thread
Mar 9, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #5,911 of 9,603
Anyone know a cheap cable that I can buy to make my Q701 into a headset using the Vmoda Boompro Mic?

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #5,912 of 9,603
  Anyone know a cheap cable that I can buy to make my Q701 into a headset using the Vmoda Boompro Mic?

I'm in the same situation as you.  I have been looking into it for a while and from the looks of it we need a female 3.5mm to female mini xlr (ta3f) adatper, which I have found to be surprisingly hard to find online.  I found this which appears to be it: 

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271099947889

Would anyone be able confirm whether this would work with boompro + q701?

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #5,913 of 9,603
Mar 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #5,914 of 9,603
No way am I spending $50 just to make it into a headset. I will just stick with buying something else. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #5,916 of 9,603

There is an external option. You can attach it on the headphones. Separate cable though. Antlion http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage did these a while back but there are other options.

Thanks! I really like this because I want to make my 558's and Q701's into headsets. This is perfect. The sound quality seems better than the BoomPro as well. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #5,917 of 9,603
  Can anyone who listens to mainly classical music comment on this mod? I'm still on the fence, I think the bass is ok as it is but a little more wouldn't be a bad thing. Bleeding bass or less details anywhere on the frequency is definitely not an acceptable trade-off (for me) though.

To mod or not to mod.... that is the question.
k701smile.gif

I listen to a lot of classical. When I tried the mod, I did not like the sound. One problem I noticed was that you lose a lot of detail with certain instruments. You lose a lot of the breath sound with the flute in Toru Takemitsu's I hear the water dreaming, for example. Orchestral works like Mozart's Requiem (Karajan conducting - not the best, I know) hurt my ears because the bass and drum was too forward and the highs and mids recessed.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #5,918 of 9,603
The bass mod does seem unnatural when the bass demand is high but otherwise classical still sounds good. I watch a good amount of movies through the home rig as well and the bass mod has done wonders for that.

I feel the added bass makes the Q701 more versatile with little sacrifice to sound. I'll keep it that way for a bit longer and maybe go back after I've become to acquainted to it.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #5,919 of 9,603
The bass mod does seem unnatural when the bass demand is high but otherwise classical still sounds good. I watch a good amount of movies through the home rig as well and the bass mod has done wonders for that.

I feel the added bass makes the Q701 more versatile with little sacrifice to sound. I'll keep it that way for a bit longer and maybe go back after I've become to acquainted to it.

Agree.
BTW, since Q is supposed to be a little bassier than K, could someone pls compare bass port modded K701 vs. bass port modded (or not-modded) Q701?

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #5,921 of 9,603
Anyone here ever had the oportunity to personally test the k702 and q701 heard sound difference to prefer any of them?

The two sets I heard sounded virtually identical. I have a pair of Q701, I know a guy with a pair of K70x, we swapped them and both agreed that they sounded virtually identical.

Supposedly the older K70x sound different than the Q701.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #5,922 of 9,603
The two sets I heard sounded virtually identical. I have a pair of Q701, I know a guy with a pair of K70x, we swapped them and both agreed that they sounded virtually identical.

Supposedly the older K70x sound different than the Q701.

Thanks for the reply. I recently bought a K702, and I'm well pleased with it. But reading some comparisons I was curious if the Q701 would have a different sound.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #5,924 of 9,603
  Does anyone know where and how I can score some K712 "Annie" pads?

You mean the K702 Annie pads?  I hope they haven't done an Anniversary of the K712 yet!

If you look at the Service Manual PDFs for both, the same part number is used for the pads.  The K702 Annie pads are non-angled memory foam or gel pads.  The stock K712 pads are angled, I believe, but I don't know what kind of foam they use, esp. compared to the rather stiff, but acoustically excellent, Q701 pads.  I ordered what I hoped were the K712 pads directly from AKG, but ended up with the Annie pads (seems they've yet to get the K712 pads in yet).  For me, they killed the Q701s.  

Search this thread for Frank Rodriguez and you'll get his contact info at AKG.  Pretty sure you won't beat their prices.

If you're looking for the stock K712 pads (and not the Annies), ask before you buy.  Someone posted herein that AKG is expecting them soon, but I've not seen that they've arrived.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #5,925 of 9,603

Search this thread for Frank Rodriguez and you'll get his contact info at AKG.  Pretty sure you won't beat their prices.

If you're looking for the stock K712 pads (and not the Annies), ask before you buy.  Someone posted herein that AKG is expecting them soon, but I've not seen that they've arrived.

Thank you! I'm looking for the thicker angled pads on the k712. I got the K702 mixed up
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back