Q701 impressions thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #5,641 of 9,603
IIRC, buried somewhere in this thread is evidence that they do not.  Someone who has both, or at least the K712s, posted pix of the "real" K712 pads.  Also, why would Frank say they don't have any in stock, but then ship the "other" version of that part #?  Maybe they'll switch the number, but in the maintenance docs, they are indeed the same part #, so who knows.

Hope yours work out, whatever the truth may be.

Was it me? I posted Q701 vs K712 pics, but I've never owned an Annie. I still want to get a pair of K612, have a couple of friends over for a showdown.

Side note: still using the baby seatbelt cover on my Q701, a wrapped Q701 headband is more comfortable than a bare K712 headband, go figure. Since baby seatbelt wraps come in two-packs, I have both headbands wrapped :) helps with blind testing.

Any thoughts on the Q 701 (bass modded or not) with the Fiio E07K? I saw this deal and, since I sold off everything last week, I thought it might work out well.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_63330_FiiO-E07K-E7-Andes-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-and-DAC.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/landing/specials/2014/sonic-bowl/index.php

The amp section of an E07k is basically an E5. Clean, but not very technically impressive. You won't see a volume increase, but I preferred my Recon3D USB + E5 + Q701 than with just Recon3D USB + Q701. Improvements would be small.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #5,642 of 9,603
The amp section of an E07k is basically an E5. Clean, but not very technically impressive. You won't see a volume increase, but I preferred my Recon3D USB + E5 + Q701 than with just Recon3D USB + Q701. Improvements would be small.

Thanks! I haven't own either so I can't speak from subjective experience, but the tech specs of the E07K are a clear step up from the E5. The E5 has a lowly OPA2338UA while the E07K has a ADI AD8692 OP Amp and TI TPA6130A Power AMP. Based on my understanding of various DIY designs and looking at several benchmarks on distortion, signal noise and dynamic range, the E07K is totally in a different league. I am just wondering how good of a match the E07K is with the Q 701 based on the experience of those who have owned it.

Below, the RMAA results show a large gap in performance between the two different FiiO models, the E07K and the E5. Note that RMAA is inherently flawed to some degree, but the margin of performance is wide enough here to draw some concrete conclusions, at least technically speaking.
http://marlene-d.blogspot.com/2013/07/measurement-section-for-article-review.html
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Various/FiiO%20E3%20vs%20E5.htm

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #5,643 of 9,603
So does anyone here actually notice a difference between 320kbps/-v0 and FLAC? 

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #5,644 of 9,603
I sent my Q's in for repair because my left driver was making noise with any frequency under 100hz. They replaced both drivers and sent them back. 

I didn't realize how much i missed them till they were gone. However now that they're back i just can't shake the feeling they sound different lol. I thought all the burn in talk was a bit much, but with new drivers in my phones i think i can say i understand. Part of me wants to say that maybe i'm just not used to the sound sig anymore, since i've been using my senns for a week and a half. I just don't know.

What i do know is i have a new op amp for my m-stage and i want to do the bass mod, but i'm concerned of changing too many things at one time.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #5,645 of 9,603

No, I don't. As long as the encoding is set up properly, they should be virtually indistinguishable from one another. Blind tests have long disproved the advantages of FLAC over 320 Kbps MP3 for even audiophile listening. That said, FLAC is wonderful for archiving as you don't lose any quality from the CD source and, because of this, it is good for sourcing when transcoding to any other format.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #5,646 of 9,603
  Thanks! I haven't own either so I can't speak from subjective experience, but the tech specs of the E07K are a clear step up from the E5. The E5 has a lowly OPA2338UA while the E07K has a ADI AD8692 OP Amp and TI TPA6130A Power AMP. Based on my understanding of various DIY designs and looking at several benchmarks on distortion, signal noise and dynamic range, the E07K is totally in a different league. I am just wondering how good of a match the E07K is with the Q 701 based on the experience of those who have owned it.

Below, the RMAA results for both show the large gap between the two different FiiO models, the E07K and the E5. Note that RMAA is inherently flawed to some degree, but the margin of performance difference is wide enough here to draw some concrete conclusions, at least technically speaking.
http://marlene-d.blogspot.com/2013/07/measurement-section-for-article-review.html
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Various/FiiO%20E3%20vs%20E5.htm

The E07K definitely makes the Q701's look like the K701's sound signature. I haven't tried the K701's, but if I had to base it off graphs, the Q701's would be just that. There's a fair amount of volume, but only in the x2 gain option and the volume all the way to 60. 

Solely soundstage, the Objective 2 would power the Q701's with the largest and deepest soundstage. The E12 would widen the soundstage, but the intimate portion of vocals in the soundstage area is reduced, then the E07K drives the back portion of the soundstage and the bass is quite lean; giving the Q701's an airy presence. I'm able to drive the Q701's to uncomfortable volume levels with the ODAC before distortion, but the Q701's mids seem to distort first on the E07K before I'm able to get uncomfortable listenning levels.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #5,647 of 9,603

I did once.

When I got HD650 and STX I started re-ripping all my MP3s to 320, early on I did a quick compare with a FLAC rip from the same CD and had to start re-ripping everything to FLAC, haven't used MP3 since. (it was a Neil Young track, acoustic, don't remember which - several years ago). So I haven't heard any MP3 with my Q701.
There may be many tracks where the difference is not noticeable (?).
YMMV.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #5,648 of 9,603

The E07K definitely makes the Q701's look like the K701's sound signature. I haven't tried the K701's, but if I had to base it off graphs, the Q701's would be just that. There's a fair amount of volume, but only in the x2 gain option and the volume all the way to 60. 

Solely soundstage, the Objective 2 would power the Q701's with the largest and deepest soundstage. The E12 would widen the soundstage, but the intimate portion of vocals in the soundstage area is reduced, then the E07K drives the back portion of the soundstage and the bass is quite lean; giving the Q701's an airy presence. I'm able to drive the Q701's to uncomfortable volume levels with the ODAC before distortion, but the Q701's mids seem to distort first on the E07K before I'm able to get uncomfortable listenning levels.

Thanks! That sounds great! I actually also tried the Q 701 over a year and a half ago and so I can't really remember too many details about the experience. I think I'll go ahead and get the FiiO E07K at Sonic Electronix and use their SONICBOWL discount code to get it for $75.95.

And nice anime picture there, by the way! I just need to somehow get a Sonic picture drawn up by a friend or do some Photoshopping to get a AKG-i-fied Sonic for a new profile picture.

EDIT: Just to ask, how much of a difference in performance should I expect going from unamped to amped with a Q 701? I just sold off my O2 amp (long story) and didn't have any outboard gear to demo the K 702. It goes without saying much that if I loved this unamped, I might be floored by it when it's properly powered.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #5,649 of 9,603
  Any thoughts on the Q 701 (bass modded or not) with the Fiio E07K?

I had E07 at work at the time I bought my Q701, didn't have to drive anywhere near full volume to get to my listening level.
I found that for me, (not liking treble spikes) Q701 was more acceptable on E07 than with ODAC/O2, I don't think I've tried Q701 with E07 since bass-mod (I use X3 for work now).

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #5,650 of 9,603
Found a way to make bumps a bit less annoying, poked a bunch of holes with a sewing needle in them to let the air out and then squeezed and broke them up with my thumbs for about half an hour. They are a lot more softer now.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #5,651 of 9,603

320k mp3 truly gets very close to FLAC, but treble resolution goes down... sounds more grainy in the higher frequencies.

Track dynamics are affected as well on recordings with wide dynamic range.  Bass often sounds a bit punchier on FLAC rips of the same track, but I can only hear these differences on higher end mixes with good resolution that take advantage of the dynamic range available in 16-bits of volume representation.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #5,652 of 9,603
FWIW,
I find that 320 files sound somewhat closed in and somewhat "dull" compared to FLACs or CDs.
320 files just sound more like a recording and less like music.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #5,653 of 9,603
FWIW,
I find that 320 files sound somewhat closed in and somewhat "dull" compared to FLACs or CDs.
320 files just sound more like a recording and less like music.

This. I used to feel content with Spotify premium. But at one day, I feel like listening to Led Zeppelin again, and at that time Spotify doesn't have Led Zeppelin. So I open up my foobar and have a listen to my lossless collection. When U2's "With Or WIthout You" got randomly selected, it sounds sort of different to what I used to listen it on Spotify. Then I open Spotify again, and one conclusion was certain for me. It was easier to "get in" to the music with lossless, than 320kbps.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #5,655 of 9,603
I haven't touched my Q701 in about 3 weeks now. I've been back to speakers. Even at low volume I'm enjoying the experience more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back