Q701 impressions thread
Jan 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #5,251 of 9,602
In this thread, Woo 6 and Schitt Lyr (with the Lyr being the value-option) are also highly recommended:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575127/best-amp-for-k701-my-wallet-is-generous/90

One thing I like about "value" is that less can often be more when talking about a specific match for a particular application.  It's more like a correct answer with no extras... of course, if the wrong value item for the application is employed, results can be worse than the scattershot approach of throwing many dollars at a reputable higher end solution.  Can value and synergy co-exist?

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #5,252 of 9,602
  So has anyone heard the Aune T1 with a Q701 yet?  I've tried to find a better value than the Q701 and short of going to the far more expensive HD800, I cannot even get close to how much I like these cans.

No, rather, I have been considering sidegrading to a warmer sounding amp that could possibly make them more dynamic and impactful to match their slightly pronounced upper mid / lower treble with source material that is less than perfect.  Currently running Nuforce Icon HD and it is known to be bright in the amp section (wonderful DAC, though).

If not Aune, then what else could be warmer with enough power to make this happen short of a vintage receiver?  I guess I could try ODAC.  Sadly, I wasn't a fan of the bass mod as I only perceived an uncomfortable low frequency boost and additional SPL without much heft added to the mid-bass area where the toe-tapping first half of a kick drum's waveform resides.

I am driving my Q701 with the T1. The other items that I can compare to is E17 and computer audio out (Realtek....).

Computer audio out:
- Max out on volume to get barely acceptable volume
- level of detail 50%
- sound separation between different sources of sound 50%

E17:
- Gain: mid position (6 dB) & volume at 50% (30 out of 60)
- Level of detail: 60%
- sound separation between different sources of sound 60%

T1 (6922EH tube, stock):
- Gain: low setting & volume @ 75%
- Level of detail: 100%
- sound separation between diferent sources of sound 100%

Obviously, T1 is used as the basis for the comparison at 100%.
Between E17 and computer out, you have to concentrate, pay attention and A/B it back and forth to notice the differences.
Between T1 and E17, the difference is remarkable and instantaneous. You don't need to be a sound critic to notice the differences.

And I still haven't venture into tube rolling yet.... ; )

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #5,253 of 9,602
 I cannot determine if this design incorporates the kind of transformer that could make this particularly price competitive amp able to properly drive the 701s.

I think you'll find this only has a tube buffer and SS (IC) headphone output, so output transformers don't apply.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #5,254 of 9,602
After having just done the Bass mod (removing the seal) I just felt to express my appreciation for these headphones. I wasn't really hoping for that much more bass but tried the mod since I can do it at home for free and it doesn't damage the phones. The mod really brought out more of the lower region. I felt it was like eq'ing some more bass. Somehow they feel more alive now. The change is not in any way overwhelming and tbh I wouldn't have wanted it to be. I just really love these phones and frequently when listening to something not from these headphones I wonder how it would sound like from my Q701.
I think the seal is to protect the headphones from extra loud sudden noises that might break it.

I use Epiphany Acoustics EHP-02 amp and am liking this setup.

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #5,255 of 9,602
Hi guys,

Got my q701's and a Xonar Essence One amp/dac in a couple days ago, so i thought i'd post some of my impressions.

I'll start by saying i got the made in china version,i saw a couple pages back someone comparing the Austrian one's with these.

I wont get into sound quality now because i want a bit more time with them,but they do sound great so far.

The bumps on the head band are very squishy so i don't think they will bother anyone,i'm quite a big guy so the headband is maxed out and 
when i put them on for the first time they were really tight,very very tight lol. but they loosened up allot after the firs't day and now they are perfect, not tight and not loose. and because of the plastic design they are super light.

I was a worried when i first got them because of the comfort, due to my location i cant just send them back. but now they are awesome.   
To anyone with the china versions, give them some time to loosen up. and as i said i have a big head so they should fit most people.

So far 10/10 for comfort from me, and because the bumps are now squishy it makes them a non-issue.

I had to make a new account because my email got hacked. Just want to say thank you to all the guy's who helped me choose these, for the money they are AMAZING.

if you guys want some pic's of these and the E1, i'll be happy to take some.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #5,256 of 9,602
Just had an extensive 3 hour listening session with my brand new Q701 and have two short questions:

1. Why do the headphones smell a bit mechanically when I took them off?

2. What's your best portable amp or DAC+amp under or about $100 to work specifically with Q701?

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #5,257 of 9,602
Just had an extensive 3 hour listening session with my brand new Q701 and have two short questions:

1. Who do the headphones smell a bit mechanically when I took them off?

2. What's your best portable amp or DAC+amp under or about $100 to work specifically with Q701?

mine doesnt, probably cause of the climate here is slightly more moist and there is only 2 seasons here, scorching sun or flooding rains~ haha, Malaysia ftw

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #5,258 of 9,602
Really like the 701's ..Im fairly new to the headphone scene but from my short listening experience, I can say that they are a good acoustic(unplugged) headphone....even dance/electronica is very enjoyable.

Im a Metal listener but these are definately the wrong HP for that......they will make your ears hurt!

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #5,259 of 9,602
Really like the 701's ..Im fairly new to the headphone scene but from my short listening experience, I can say that they are a good acoustic(unplugged) headphone....even dance/electronica is very enjoyable.

Im a Metal listener but these are definately the wrong HP for that......they will make your ears hurt!

Have you done the bass mod? I'm a metal head as well, I actually love these with metal now AFTER the bass port mod. They were painful before. I find them really balanced now.  

A lot of metal is poorly recorded though and I've felt these headphones really show that, less so after the mod.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #5,261 of 9,602
Ive heard of the MOD but I think I'm going to keep them stock and purchase another set of HP that are more HeadBang worthy....lol
Next on my list is a HPA though. \\m//

Thats a great idea :)

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5,262 of 9,602
Ive heard of the MOD but I think I'm going to keep them stock and purchase another set of HP that are more HeadBang worthy....lol
Next on my list is a HPA though. \\m//

You have the Q701's amped yes? It sounds warmer and metal sounded better due to it. 
My test was Natural Born Killer - Avenged Sevenfold. Due to the headphone being fast, double pedals sounded awesome.
Although I do agree, these aren't very headbang worthy due to the lean bass in general.

Try a DJ headphone? DJ headphones tend to be very punchy in bass, and won't fall off your head headbanging.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #5,263 of 9,602
You have the Q701's amped yes? It sounds warmer and metal sounded better due to it. 

My test was Natural Born Killer - Avenged Sevenfold. Due to the headphone being fast, double pedals sounded awesome.

Although I do agree, these aren't very headbang worthy due to the lean bass in general.

Try a DJ headphone? DJ headphones tend to be very punchy in bass, and won't fall off your head headbanging.

Yes they are amped....I have two Pioneer AVR 's and I had them hooked up to both......the sound is o.k but Im in search of a dedicated HPA.

I have some studio monitors in my listening room with 10" woofers.....I have those as backup if all else fails....lol.

i listened to KORNs MTV unplugged session yesterday and it was pretty amazing......Metallica and Sepultura on the other hand made me flinch.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #5,264 of 9,602
Yes they are amped....I have two Pioneer AVR 's and I had them hooked up to both......the sound is o.k but Im in search of a dedicated HPA.

I have some studio monitors in my listening room with 10" woofers.....I have those as backup if all else fails....lol.

i listened to KORNs MTV unplugged session yesterday and it was pretty amazing......Metallica and Sepultura on the other hand made me flinch.

I would actually just use your studio monitors, nothing beats the bass kicking at your chest. Plus less weight xD

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,265 of 9,602
Does anyone know how the modded Q701's stack up to the HE-400's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back