Q701 impressions thread
Dec 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #4,966 of 9,602
Still loving my modded Q701. These things sound great with jazz. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #4,968 of 9,602
Time to bid farewell to my much beloved Q701, I cannot say I won't miss it. Hope you guys don't mind if I linger on in this thread for a bit longer as my love for the Q701 would surely linger on 
k701smile.gif
 Easily one of the best, if not the very best, bang-for-the-buck pair of cans in my opinion.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #4,969 of 9,602

k701smile.gif
 Easily one of the best, if not the very best, bang-for-the-buck pair of cans in my opinion.

Agreed. Further, for certain music, they are amongst the best (most engaging sound signature) full stop.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #4,970 of 9,602
  Time to bid farewell to my much beloved Q701, I cannot say I won't miss it. Hope you guys don't mind if I linger on in this thread for a bit longer as my love for the Q701 would surely linger on 
k701smile.gif

Ogod did you get the HD800's?

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #4,971 of 9,602
Dec 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #4,973 of 9,602
  how was it coming from Q701 to HD800?

Can't really give a credible comment on it since my HD800 is severely under-amped, but so far my impressions are;

-Poorly powered HD800, especially with the Magni/Modi combo the HD800 is very bright and sibilant, this is not the case with the Q701.
-Taking SQ out of the equation, the most apparent difference is right on the moment when I put them on and surprised by how comfortable they are. The Q701 is very comfortable to me, comfier than DT880 and HD600 in my opinion, but wearing the HD800 is like wearing air.

SQ wise (remember that this comparison is done with small schiit amp), up and foremost it feels like the HD800 mends the only flaw of Q701 (in my opinion), which is imaging. As we all know the soundstage width of the Q701 trumps others in its price bracket, but sometimes I kinda feel like the instruments are all over the place. The HD800 have wider soundstage and more importantly, much better imaging.

The question is, do I think its worth it? In NZ, the price of Q701 is $500 (NZD) and HD800, at $1,900, costs almost 4x as much. It is still a bit hard to justify, but justifiable. Amazon price though, I believe Q701 costs $220 (USD) and HD800 costs $1,400. If I were to buy the Q701 at that price, I'm not sure I can justify spending 7x as much for the HD800. Moreover, the Q701 is not so amp-picky, which makes it even better value.

One thing I learned from this (this may sound very subjective), the Q701, especially at its Amazon price is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck headphone.

PS: The Q701 with K712 pads I believe would be very comfortable and even better bang-for-the-buck pair of cans.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #4,974 of 9,602

Can't really give a credible comment on it since my HD800 is severely under-amped, but so far my impressions are;

-Poorly powered HD800, especially with the Magni/Modi combo the HD800 is very bright and sibilant, this is not the case with the Q701.
-Taking SQ out of the equation, the most apparent difference is right on the moment when I put them on and surprised by how comfortable they are. The Q701 is very comfortable to me, comfier than DT880 and HD600 in my opinion, but wearing the HD800 is like wearing air.

SQ wise (remember that this comparison is done with small schiit amp), up and foremost it feels like the HD800 mends the only flaw of Q701 (in my opinion), which is imaging. As we all know the soundstage width of the Q701 trumps others in its price bracket, but sometimes I kinda feel like the instruments are all over the place. The HD800 have wider soundstage and more importantly, much better imaging.

The question is, do I think its worth it? In NZ, the price of Q701 is $500 (NZD) and HD800, at $1,900, costs almost 4x as much. It is still a bit hard to justify, but justifiable. Amazon price though, I believe Q701 costs $220 (USD) and HD800 costs $1,400. If I were to buy the Q701 at that price, I'm not sure I can justify spending 7x as much for the HD800. Moreover, the Q701 is not so amp-picky, which makes it even better value.

One thing I learned from this (this may sound very subjective), the Q701, especially at its Amazon price is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck headphone.

PS: The Q701 with K712 pads I believe would be very comfortable and even better bang-for-the-buck pair of cans.

Why do you have the feeling the HD800 is underamped? Did you try it with other amps? 

Wow, I wasn´t expecting the HD800 to be that picky... Do you think you will be able to try them with the O2?

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #4,975 of 9,602

Why do you have the feeling the HD800 is underamped? Did you try it with other amps? 

Wow, I wasn´t expecting the HD800 to be that picky... Do you think you will be able to try them with the O2?

IMO, It's amp picky, not amp $ picky.  It sounds pretty decent on my Fiio E17/E09K combo even though it sounds much better at home on the WA22.  On the Fiio's, it still sounds like HD800 and not harsh.  Not sure about O2.
Also, for HD800, it's definitely not 100% about pwr.  I tried it on my Emotiva Mini-X and didn't like it very much.  Let's just leave it at that.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #4,976 of 9,602
Can someone tell me what the top 3 amps are for this phone.....if I have to go thru all the pages of this thread, I will.

I was just hoping to avoid that.

If I could just get some people to agree on the top 3 or so.

thanks for any help.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #4,977 of 9,602
  Can someone tell me what the top 3 amps are for this phone.....if I have to go thru all the pages of this thread, I will.

I was just hoping to avoid that.

If I could just get some people to agree on the top 3 or so.

thanks for any help.

Despite popular belief, you don't need to spend big money on amps.

Plenty of good stuff out there, the Schiit Asgard is probably the cheapest way to get from point A to point B whilst buying from a US based vendor that ships quickly. More alternatives are the Matrix, Lyr, Soloist SL, one of the two Bottlehead configs (forget which is which), and Darkvoice 336. None of those will be expensive, most of those sell quickly on the secondhand if need be, and I have heard all of them and it's pretty much splitting hairs which is the best for different reasons IMO. Just get the job done and report back how you like your cans!

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #4,978 of 9,602
Guys i have a quick question about the Q701 if anyone can answer. I have the K550 and i don't like it's highs, they are kinda shrill for my ears. How do the highs on the Q701 compare? I was thinking about purchasing the Q701 but after hearing that they may sound about the same i am kinda in doubt now.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #4,979 of 9,602
The stock Q701 is definitely leaner than the K550 but the port mod mentioned in the thread makes them much fuller sounding. In regards to treble they have a similar spike but I don't find it as abrasive.

On a different note I also have the new K545 and find it an improvement over the K545 in pretty much every way except sound stage and even there it is close to as good. It has more bass that goes deeper, a slightly warmer midrange, and toned down treble, giving it a much more balanced sound. For me it is the best AKG sound I have heard straight from the box.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #4,980 of 9,602
The stock Q701 is definitely leaner than the K550 but the port mod mentioned in the thread makes them much fuller sounding. In regards to treble they have a similar spike but I don't find it as abrasive.

On a different note I also have the new K545 and find it an improvement over the K545 in pretty much every way except sound stage and even there it is close to as good. It has more bass that goes deeper, a slightly warmer midrange, and toned down treble, giving it a much more balanced sound. For me it is the best AKG sound I have heard straight from the box.

So it still has that treble spike huh... Kinda wanted to get an open pair now which is why i was asking about the q701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back