Q701 impressions thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4,921 of 9,602
Anyone know of any difference between the Austria made Q's and the Chinese ones? People in Amazon's Q&A section seem to be overly concerned with the distinction. As long as there's no difference in the SQ I don't care. Apparently AKG moved production to China in 2013 at some point(?), so they're still authentic. But if anyone has experience with both models, I'd be grateful. Apparently the green ones Amazon still has in stock are of the Austrian build(?) so I'd be going with those if it is the case. (as if I'd chose anything other than that color anyway :p)

I'm the one who asked on Amazon,and most green are from China factory already.what people are concerned about is not the driver,as they are about the same,what people fear is quality consistency and imitation spree, at least that was my concern when I asked.China isn't the best quality consistency manufacturers, and I still believe so up till today,no matter what people say.they always have some tricks up their sleeves

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #4,922 of 9,602
"The drivers are about the same? " Only slightly different are they?  " Most green ones are from China already." Your source of data on this would be?  Questionable statements in a rather bigoted post.  Now that is what people should be concerned about.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #4,923 of 9,602

Quote:
  "The drivers are about the same? " Only slightly different are they?  " Most green ones are from China already." Your source of data on this would be?  Questionable statements in a rather bigoted post.  Now that is what people should be concerned about.

Since early May, the production for all AKG Q701's was moved to our facility in China. Going forward these will show as being Made in China both on the product and the label on the box. This will be corrected on the Amazon detail page. However, though they are no longer being made in Austria, much of AKG's engineering and design continues to take place there and no matter where they are built AKG will continue to build great sounding products. in China.

Christopher Angelillo
Account Manager
AKG

Reference, as the "customer" was me:
http://www.amazon.com/Where-Austria-latest-China-manufacturing/forum/Fx4LE2H0698DBZ/Tx3U0Q7LSDH21GN/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B004444OFK

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,924 of 9,602

nice creations indeed. but the first sentence in that article makes you cringe...

LOL, I didn't read any of it.  I was looking for a pic of the Jecklin Floats, but the name escaped me, so I was just browsing Google Images.  But yeah, this:

"When it comes to audiophile headphones, Dr. Dre Beats is well known as a high-end product, but what if you're looking for something a bit weirder?"

LMAO.  I suppose their target audience buys earbuds at CVS, so the Beats would probably blow their tiny minds.  The use of "audiophile" is hilariously cringeworthy.  I also like the implication that Beats are a little weird  
wink.gif

Nothing weird about the Q701.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #4,925 of 9,602
Just did the bass port mod on my Q701 and I am blown away by the difference it makes. I'm currently using iBasso D2+ Boa waiting for the Lyr to arrive and the lower bass is much better now, overall bass has more body and the soundstage/ spaciousness just got even more impressive. Definitely recommend to anybody using a poverty amp!

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #4,926 of 9,602
Just recently picked up the Q701 (made in Austria) along with the Fiio X3 to drive it (all I had before that was my computer/Iphone 5s).  

I'm really impressed with the clarity of the Q701, as I am coming from the Klipsch s4 and Koss Portapros.  As expected, the Q701 is a lot clearer sounding, larger soundstage, etc.  I generally listen to rap/rock, but I still find it enjoyable (even though it lacks the impact on the bass end, at least to me).   My wife was also impressed, as she listen to a song with the new Q701s that she really enjoys and she was hearing things she hadn't before due to the clarity.

I am looking at getting the Schiit Vali down the road, but I just wanted to say that I have been greatly impressed by the Q701's.  Thanks for all the posts that helped me make my decision (I've tried to do a lot of reading concerning the Q701's).  This site is a great resource.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,927 of 9,602
Got my Q701's with the adl ihp-35X cable. After the bass port mod I'm floored by how good these sound. Money well spent!

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #4,928 of 9,602
  Got my Q701's with the adl ihp-35X cable. After the bass port mod I'm floored by how good these sound. Money well spent!

I think you must be the first person to do the mod new out of the box with the Q701! It's totally worth the (small) risk.
That E9 has very good synergy with the AKGs i've found. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I once had a more expensive amp and hated the K702 with it, but bought a E9 and found that it sounded even better!
The E9 to me is a good all-rounder and even drives the DT-880 600.

Your DJ100 seems to love the E9 too.

I didn't have the E09K and only the E9 but I figure they both sound identical or similar.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #4,929 of 9,602

I think you must be the first person to do the mod new out of the box with the Q701! It's totally worth the (small) risk.
That E9 has very good synergy with the AKGs i've found. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I once had a more expensive amp and hated the K702 with it, but bought a E9 and found that it sounded even better!
The E9 to me is a good all-rounder and even drives the DT-880 600.

Your DJ100 seems to love the E9 too.

I didn't have the E09K and only the E9 but I figure they both sound identical or similar.

Yup I'm pretty happy with the pairing and the mod :). From what I've read the E09k's sound should be identical to the E9. Haven't heard the E9 myself.

I actually got the DJ100 based on your review! I got the M50 pads for them and they have become my favorite portable can(These pads fixed the initial problems I had with their sound). These are soo incredibly underrated. I bought them on Black Friday for 40 bucks!! I tried them yesterday with the E09k and they sound amazing, extremely clean and detailed with a nice low end. People need to be talking about these more 

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #4,931 of 9,602
where did you purchase the replacement cable? i did check their site anyway. and how much it cost you? thanks

I got the cable from HEADPHONEshop in Toronto. Charles is a great guy and his store is an awesome place to audition and buy Audio gear. He has an online site as well(eshop link at headphoneshop.com).I've not bought from him online though as I've always wen't to his store as it is near to my work.

The cable is 91$ Canadian.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #4,932 of 9,602
   I got the cable from HEADPHONEshop in Toronto. Charles is a great guy and his store is an awesome place to audition and buy Audio gear. He has an online site as well(eshop link at headphoneshop.com).I've not bought from him online though as I've always wen't to his store as it is near to my work.

The cable is 91$ Canadian.

check their sites and eshop, unfortunately they only ship within Canada :frowning2: guess ill have to find a way). any significant changes from stock cable?

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #4,933 of 9,602
  check their sites and eshop, unfortunately they only ship within Canada :frowning2: guess ill have to find a way). any significant changes from stock cable?

Sorry to hear that man. I find it to sound a bit cleaner than the stock cable. Its built quite a bit better and it's shorter. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #4,934 of 9,602

I got a nice Mogami cable custom made from Redco (US company; CT, I think).  Very reasonable price, even with the Techflex sleeve (cheap plasticy version; not sure if they offer the multi-filament type, which is more like cloth).  They have a custom cable page, but you can contact them with specific requests, e.g., Techflex.  Very easy to deal with.  And like johanchandy's experience, I find the sound to be cleaner than the stock cables.  Nice to have a 5-foot cable, too :)

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,935 of 9,602

Till you hear Aune T1 + Q701, you'll be surprised by how much better in sound separation and detail these headphone can get.
I was very surprised when I first heard E17 + Q701. Sound that I don't even know exist with my previous setup.
Then came along the AuneT1... now I'm not just acknowledge that there are more sound to be heard from every recording, but a more realistic presentation that I can say what I am hearing. A slight 'tap' that I can hear from a piece of music 'String Quartet No.1 Op.11" with E17 turns out to be the sound of a wooden stick get in contact with something with echo when hear with T1.....Of course, one would say you can get even better result with Burson soloist etc...but the T1 is about the same price as the E17 when I first acquired. Also, I haven't get into tube rolling yet. I am still on the 6922 that came with the unit. I paid $139 + tax for my E17 and I paid $150 (include shipping and no tax) for my T1. The only thing is T1 is not portable. I still use E17 with K550 on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back