Q701 impressions thread
Nov 22, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #4,756 of 9,602
I am currently just amazed by how good drums on rock songs sound on modded Q701. That loosen bass, combined with the extra depth on it really does favor rock songs in my opinion 
k701smile.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #4,757 of 9,602
  I am currently just amazed by how good drums on rock songs sound on modded Q701. That loosen bass, combined with the extra depth on it really does favor rock songs in my opinion 
k701smile.gif

There's a reason there's a stereotype about stodgy Audiophiles preferring those genres... Generally there's just more talent and time invested at the mastering stage. Doesn't mean there aren't good examples of Rock and Progressive, or electronica, it's just you'll get really excited when you find a great combination of performer and producer.

One thing that used to (and occasionally still) fascinate me was what happens when different parts of a mix/FR are emphasized. Gnarles Barkley's "Crazy" sounds like a different song when played on laptop speakers, Bose headphones, and my Q701's. It goes from a beat-driven, energetic track on one driver, to a more somber almost requiem track when the backing female vocals come forward and the beat is de-emphasized.

Hehe, well I'm no classic rocker (AC/DC, Metallica) kind of guy, but more of a Three Days Grace and Green Day kind of person. Although I figured a lot of masterings are really favoured for warm headphones with a dip in the high mids. Unfortunately the same applies to my well favoured Jpoprock music in which their music is WAY compressed. Right now the Q701 counters narrow stereo recordings by adding its' own very wide soundstage that relieves this.

Time to get a new headphone so I don't have to keep removing and adding in the sticker
k701smile.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #4,758 of 9,602

Hehe, well I'm no classic rocker (AC/DC, Metallica) kind of guy, but more of a Three Days Grace and Green Day kind of person. Although I figured a lot of masterings are really favoured for warm headphones with a dip in the high mids. Unfortunately the same applies to my well favoured Jpoprock music in which their music is WAY compressed. Right now the Q701 counters narrow stereo recordings by adding its' own very wide soundstage that relieves this.

Time to get a new headphone so I don't have to keep removing and adding in the sticker
k701smile.gif

Hmmm, get a second pair of Qs?
:)

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4,759 of 9,602

k701smile.gif

Hmmm, get a second pair of Qs?
smily_headphones1.gif

This is the way to go 
L3000.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #4,760 of 9,602
I have just auditioned few cans (HD650, RS2i, DT880, DT990) in an attempt to find a complementary cans to accompany my Q701. Much to my surprise, I found myself HATED the HD650. To me it sounds much too laid back, and apart from it's thickness sound, I find the Q701 to be preferable in almost every single conceivable way.

I also find the RS2i to be 'not preferable'. All tests was done using the Magni/Modi stack.

So, what do you think? Which one would be better to accompany the Q701? DT880 or DT990? In my opinion the DT880 is more neutral, but then again so does Q701. I want something that's a bit different, thoughts?

Edit: The reason I hated the HD650 might be because I already modded the Q701. I have a distinct impression that if I haven't modded the Q701, I might crave for HD650. Not anymore I guess...

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4,761 of 9,602
I've owned my Q701's for almost a solid year now and have always enjoyed them. I just gave the bass port mod a try today and I have to say I'm absolutely thrilled by the result. I found taking things apart was a bit of a pain because I couldn't take out the stickers with just removing the grill, so I had to unscrew the next part to get a good angle to remove them. I can see this mod will be a bit of a pain to reverse if I choose to do so as the clearance for the upper portion is very low. However, I am definitely very happy with the result so far. I've saved the original stickers on a piece of wax paper and they've got a good amount of adhesive left on them, so they probably will be able to be reused. The feel of the material reminds me of the plastic used on plastic Band-Aids. 

I've got a pair of K712/Annie pads on order. It will take a while to arrive though as the Canadian distributor wanted $56 per pad shipped to my local Long & McQuaide vs $36 per pad (free shipping to US addresses) from Mr. Rodriguez, so I ended up shipping them to a friend in the US just to save the 40 dollars. I'll report back on how they sound together since it seems like only one person has provided feedback on the sound so far.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #4,762 of 9,602
Good to see more people enjoying the Q701 with the bass port mod. It really takes them to another level. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4,763 of 9,602
  I have just auditioned few cans (HD650, RS2i, DT880, DT990) in an attempt to find a complementary cans to accompany my Q701. Much to my surprise, I found myself HATED the HD650. To me it sounds much too laid back, and apart from it's thickness sound, I find the Q701 to be preferable in almost every single conceivable way.

I also find the RS2i to be 'not preferable'. All tests was done using the Magni/Modi stack.

So, what do you think? Which one would be better to accompany the Q701? DT880 or DT990? In my opinion the DT880 is more neutral, but then again so does Q701. I want something that's a bit different, thoughts?

Edit: The reason I hated the HD650 might be because I already modded the Q701. I have a distinct impression that if I haven't modded the Q701, I might crave for HD650. Not anymore I guess...

None of those!  Get yourself a pair of HE500 if you don't have one already :)  or the AD if you need a closed pair.  
I went through same experience as you are now and ended up with HE500.  Never look back and still excited every time I put them on my head.  The only caveat is that HE500 need a strong amp to bring out their best.  Often, speaker amps.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #4,764 of 9,602
  Good to see more people enjoying the Q701 with the bass port mod. It really takes them to another level. 

I wish you could compare them directly from the same amp to HD800 like I did.  It really put things in perspective and suddenly I really realize/confirm for myself how great the Q701 is for the $, modded or not.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #4,765 of 9,602
  I wish you could compare them directly from the same amp to HD800 like I did.  It really put things in perspective and suddenly I really realize/confirm for myself how great the Q701 is for the $, modded or not.

After reading your comparison I find myself wanting the HD800 a lot less. I'm sure I'd like the HD800, no doubt, but I doubt it is worth it to me for 6-7 times the price. I'm just going to keep enjoying my modded Q701, and maybe in the spring get a sealed headphone with a similar sound.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #4,766 of 9,602
  None of those!  Get yourself a pair of HE500 if you don't have one already :)  or the AD if you need a closed pair.  
I went through same experience as you are now and ended up with HE500.  Never look back and still excited every time I put them on my head.  The only caveat is that HE500 need a strong amp to bring out their best.  Often, speaker amps.

+1

I find the HE-500 the perfect complement to the Q701.  Takes a bit of amping, to be sure, so that's something to consider.  That said, I love all my cans with the Schiit Lyr, given the right tubes.  Can you say Rabbit Hole?

NB: I've done three mods to my HE-500 (grill, pads, felt), and jerg just came up with a fourth that's tempting me: stitching the front half to create angled pads.  His initial tests are very positive.  All reversible, I might add.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4,767 of 9,602
  I've owned my Q701's for almost a solid year now and have always enjoyed them. I just gave the bass port mod a try today and I have to say I'm absolutely thrilled by the result. I found taking things apart was a bit of a pain because I couldn't take out the stickers with just removing the grill, so I had to unscrew the next part to get a good angle to remove them. I can see this mod will be a bit of a pain to reverse if I choose to do so as the clearance for the upper portion is very low. However, I am definitely very happy with the result so far. I've saved the original stickers on a piece of wax paper and they've got a good amount of adhesive left on them, so they probably will be able to be reused. The feel of the material reminds me of the plastic used on plastic Band-Aids. 

I've got a pair of K712/Annie pads on order. It will take a while to arrive though as the Canadian distributor wanted $56 per pad shipped to my local Long & McQuaide vs $36 per pad (free shipping to US addresses) from Mr. Rodriguez, so I ended up shipping them to a friend in the US just to save the 40 dollars. I'll report back on how they sound together since it seems like only one person has provided feedback on the sound so far.

If you get the flat replacements (not angled(?), stock K712 pads), I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.  I know at least tdock and myself commented on the flat pads on the Q701, neither favorably.  I only mentioned them a couple times, as I sold them after only a couple hours of testing.  YMMV, of course, and I hope they work out for you, or better yet, you get the stock K712 pads.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #4,768 of 9,602

+1

I find the HE-500 the perfect complement to the Q701.  Takes a bit of amping, to be sure, so that's something to consider.  That said, I love all my cans with the Schiit Lyr, given the right tubes.  Can you say Rabbit Hole?

NB: I've done three mods to my HE-500 (grill, pads, felt), and jerg just came up with a fourth that's tempting me: stitching the front half to create angled pads.  His initial tests are very positive.  All reversible, I might add.

The problem is so far there's no HiFiMan seller in NZ and I prefer to be able to audition & buy the pair of cans from a store with a physical location >.>

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #4,769 of 9,602

I still crave the HD800, though I have to say I crave them not on merit but solely due to my curiosity of it 
tongue.gif
 Still yet to hear them in person. From what I perceived from other's reviews, HD800 is like a Q701 in terms of sound sig, but better in every single way. That may be true, but I may change my mind if I listen to them and find it not worth the asking price compared to the price of Q701.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #4,770 of 9,602
I'm interested in getting these cans and wondering if it is the best time to buy them or this is their new street price @ $220? They are going for around $220 on Amazon and the cheapest I have seen them else where was around $300 in Bestbuy. I will be pairing them up with a Fiio E17 in the mean time, until I get a proper home amp/dac combo as I need something more portable for the time being. I also read that these cans are made in China now and wondering if there are any negative cons compared to the made in Austria cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back