Q701 impressions thread
Jun 17, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #8,866 of 9,602
  Does the Q701 soundstage depth benefit much from an amp that costs less than they do?  They sound great out of my Xonar DG and a couple old receivers, but I haven't plugged them into anything fancier or well-known.  

The soundstage is wide and has so much separation, but is relatively flat and lacks 3-D'ness.  The 3-D'ness is ok, and I'll think something sounds good, but I'll switch to DT990 or Senn HD580 to hear a certain movie scene or something again, and I'll think, "oh, that's how that should have sounded, the sounds moving forward and backwards better and with more layering."

To put the question another way, these will never match the depth of a Sennheiser 580 (600) or DT990, right?  Even if I could get the 701 to have the depth of the 580 and 990's as they sound out of a Xonar DG, that'd be great.

I have a xfi Ti HD, and adding a schitt magni did nothing to improve sound.

I've done a lot of reading about the Q701 compared to the AD900X. From what I understand, if you have an amp the Q701 almost always is the better performing headphone?

Thanks.

Not sure about the AD900x, but in comparison to the AD700 the Q701 is horrible for gaming. The difference is like the AD700 being a $1000 headphone and the Q701 being a $60 headphone. The fact that they got similar ratings for gaming on some popular guides is really astonishing to me.

The q701's seemed really compressed/closed in, and muffled in comparison.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #8,867 of 9,602
I have some highly regarded hps but I still keep those old q701s . Great for acoustic music and I still really enjoy the sound stage.they don't sound as natural as the 560 but the airiness in the sound is so unique I won't let it go.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #8,868 of 9,602
As someone who didn't like the sound of the K712 Pro, would I also be disappointed with Q701 or K701/K702, or are they different enough that they're still worth trying? It was a bit bright for me, and I felt like something in the mids was recessed and that the bass made them less "clear" sounding than what I prefer. The comfort was good except for my ear rubbing up against the driver, maybe angled pads would have helped. Currently switched back to my old Audio-Technica AD700 until I decide what to get next.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #8,869 of 9,602
As someone who didn't like the sound of the K712 Pro, would I also be disappointed with Q701 or K701/K702, or are they different enough that they're still worth trying? It was a bit warm for me, and I felt like the low-mids were recessed and that the bass made them less "clear" sounding than what I prefer. The comfort was good except for my ear rubbing up against the driver, maybe angled pads would have helped. Currently switched back to my old Audio-Technica AD700 until I decide what to get next.

They were warm, but you felt like the lower mids were recessed? That's a bit of an oxymoron XD
The Q701 isn't warm, so I think that if the warmth was your biggest concern, it would be worth it. I can't really speak for the lower mids, though.
If they end up still being too warm, consider an O2 or something.

EDIT: Hey, you already have an O2

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #8,870 of 9,602
Nearly everything sounds warm next to ad700. The q is not as warm as the 712, but warmer than the audio technica. It has less bass than the 712.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #8,873 of 9,602
The
The Q701 is the same as the modern K701/2. Unless you're planning on getting an older K701, which you may possibly prefer, I'm not sure, you may want to stick with the cheaper Q701.

I heard the K702 doesn't come with angled pads anymore but the K701 and Q701 still do. Is this true?

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #8,874 of 9,602
I
The

The Q701 is the same as the modern K701/2. Unless you're planning on getting an older K701, which you may possibly prefer, I'm not sure, you may want to stick with the cheaper Q701.

I heard the K702 doesn't come with angled pads anymore but the K701 and Q701 still do. Is this true?

The Q701 and I think the K701 both have angled pads. I thought the only difference between that and the K702 was that the K702 was more expensive and didn't have the bumps, though I haven't done any research on that model.

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #8,875 of 9,602
I
The Q701 and I think the K701 both have angled pads. I thought the only difference between that and the K702 was that the K702 was more expensive and didn't have the bumps, though I haven't done any research on that model.

The difference between the K702 and Q701 is actually more sound related. The Q701 has foam under the outer grill and the K702 doesn't. The Q701 is a tad warmer sounding because of this. The bump thing applies to the Chinese made ones. 

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #8,876 of 9,602

I

The K702 have complicated things lately as the latest versions Made in China now comes with the non-angled earpads (same old spring foam pads though and not the memory foam pads of the K7XX or K712's, so they now seem basically the same as the K612 pads), although I believe there are some Made in China units with the angled pads as well which were seemingly caught between the transition. All the Made in China K702's now come with the flat, no bump headband from what I can tell.

The latest K701 units Made in China now also apparently come with smooth, no bump headband, but the thing is that I actually haven't seen this floating around in Head-fi at all yet, I'm assuming it's because not many people are buying K701 at retail as new anymore due to other K units being much cheaper. The change has definitely been documented over at some Chinese sites though, as the pics below show:

Do note that there are some Made in China K701 units that were caught between the transition and still have the bumpy headband:

With the Q701's, I know they've went under at least one production change, and that's with the newer Made in China models having a significantly softer bumps on the headband. The headband is no longer real leather on the Made in China versions of Q701 and they are now made of synthetic leather. They still come with the old angled pads, and sound is the same as far as I can tell (I've had both Austria and Chinese units at the same time). 

As for which units to choose, as it's been stated earlier, Q701's are the most cost-efficient choice unless you can land a Massdrop K7XX, but of course K7XX are distinctly different sounding from the Q's. Out of the standard K7 series, then Q701's are the most logical choice unless you just can't stand the bumpy headband of the Q's (although the latest Chinese units have significantly softer bumps) or if you're like me, can't stand the Quincy Jones neon green aesthetically
tongue.gif
. Sonically, the earlier K701 and K702's are noticeably brighter than the Q's due to different type of donut foams that they use inside the cups (they were much thinner and less porous), but the latest ones seem to have the same foam and sound the same as the Q units.

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #8,879 of 9,602
Originally Posted by Danpyre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the AD700 brighter than the entire line, though?

Nuu!- Wait, I haven't heard the entire line. Just wanna say that my Q701 is much brighter than my AD700s. The AD700 has some emphasized treble peaks while the Q701 has emphasized treble...everything. And I love it.
k701smile.gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #8,880 of 9,602
I find that a lot of people consider the Q701 an improvement over the K701/2. Just curious, but are there any reasons someone might prefer the K701/2 over the Q701 instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back