Q701 impressions thread
Feb 3, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #8,566 of 9,603
all i can say is

there are still lies beneath the truth

e.g the truth about HD800 being a "be all end all" is to some a true statement, to some is a lie

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #8,567 of 9,603
  OK, so I think I'm first going to upgrade my DAC.  Because I'm a Schiit fanboy, I'm leaning toward the Bitfrost.  Then I'm going to upgrade my amp.  Because I'm a Schiit fanboy, I'm leaning toward the Asgard 2.  And finally, I'll upgrade my headphone.  I'm listening to suggestions, so I'm leaning toward the HD 650.
Is this the right path?

As much as I do like Schiit and their value I agree with the other poster in that you shouldn't limit to just one company. I like some of their products but I also don't like some of it. The Bifrost is a good dac to start with however.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #8,568 of 9,603
Working through the Phillips "Golden Ears" Challenge for my first time with my current set-up. I'm moving through the "Silver Ears" level now with relative ease. Does anyone know if it saves your progress so I can come back and continue later? 
k701smile.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #8,569 of 9,603
  Working through the Phillips "Golden Ears" Challenge for my first time with my current set-up. I'm moving through the "Silver Ears" level now with relative ease. Does anyone know if it saves your progress so I can come back and continue later? 
k701smile.gif

It does it you signed in before you started...

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #8,570 of 9,603
  It does it you signed in before you started...

Oh no! I guess I'll just have to finish it all in one go and then take a screenshot of it.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #8,571 of 9,603
When I said I was a Schiit fanboy, I said that was going to be what I wanted unless someone thinks that I have a better option.
On another note, I hear Audeze is coming out with a kind of affordable headphone.  That might be a possible upgrade path if it's any good.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #8,572 of 9,603
  When I said I was a Schiit fanboy, I said that was going to be what I wanted unless someone thinks that I have a better option.
On another note, I hear Audeze is coming out with a kind of affordable headphone.  That might be a possible upgrade path if it's any good.

From what I heard of it at CES, it's not not that good.  Not worth the $700 asking price at least.  For that price you can get a used LCD-2, which is just plain better.

Also, $700 as "affordable" is arguable.  :-D

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #8,573 of 9,603
For the cost of an uber you could get a nice dac amp combo. I use a parasound zdac as my dac through a Lyr. Nice and smooth. The amp section is pretty good , but not on par with the lyr. Used forum rocks here for gear as well. I'm looking at the nad d 3020 as a multitasker though.

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #8,574 of 9,603
So DT 990 or Q701 for Rock/Metal, mainly metalcore and deathcore ( yes I'm into that, haha)

I have DT 990 now, and like their sound, but hate their design, they bend too easy and i have to treat them like glass. They're also a bad fit for my small head.
Would anyone recommend the Q701 to replace the dt990, or is theQ701 going to be too neutral for me?
Note, I only use my Asus Z97 motherboard for onboard sound.
Should i try and get a 4th pair of DT 990's and hope I don't bend their cheap those out of shape too (if amazon doesn't ban me) or would these fit my tastes better?
I think the suspension system would last a lot longer than these fragile DT 990's.
I like high treble and warm mids, but I still need some decent bass for death metal.
I'd love some advice

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #8,575 of 9,603
The Q701 is not a metal or rock hp.Great for jazz, folk, and some classical especially solo instruments. Head bangers need not apply. Ymmv.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #8,576 of 9,603
So DT 990 or Q701 for Rock/Metal, mainly metalcore and deathcore ( yes I'm into that, haha)

I have DT 990 now, and like their sound, but hate their design, they bend too easy and i have to treat them like glass. They're also a bad fit for my small head.
Would anyone recommend the Q701 to replace the dt990, or is theQ701 going to be too neutral for me?
Should i try and get a 4th pair of DT 990's and hope I don't bend their cheap those out of shape too (if amazon doesn't ban me) or would these fit my tastes better?
I think the suspension system would last a lot longer than these fragile DT 990's.
I like high treble and warm mids, but I still need some decent bass for death metal.
I'd love some advice

I know the mechanical design is the same, but the DT880 may be more suited for hard rock.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #8,577 of 9,603
For rock & metal I'd go with the V-Moda M-100. In fact I did. And I would again.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #8,578 of 9,603

I'd love some advice

The DT990 has too much treble for me.  With music that's usually pretty hot anyways (like djent, and I assume metalcore), I imagine it will be way too much.  The AKG will be better, but I don't think that's saying much, as it's also a pretty treblicious headphone.  I'd look for something else TBH.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #8,579 of 9,603
The Q701 is not a metal or rock hp.Great for jazz, folk, and some classical especially solo instruments. Head bangers need not apply. Ymmv.

I love them for all genres especially after taking out the tape behind the drivers. Only problem with them is the need for more power handling or maybe I need a bigger amp because they distort at semi loud volumes unlike my grados and senns

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #8,580 of 9,603
I love them for all genres especially after taking out the tape behind the drivers. Only problem with them is the need for more power handling or maybe I need a bigger amp because they distort at semi loud volumes unlike my grados and senns

The distortion is generally them not getting enough power and sometimes even the dac not being good enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back