Q701 impressions thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3,496 of 9,602
My Q701 [size=small] self-[/size][size=small]adjusting[/size][size=small] headband is starting to be "loose" on one side and on the other side its very stiff... i think it might be something with those to little cables that pull the band up and down... how to i fix them ? or make their stress more solid ? it feels like they slide a bit down my ear would love an explation and if its simple ?[/size]

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3,497 of 9,602
This current setup I'm using is really something. The ODAC feeding the Pioneer SX-750 powering an AKG Q701 is really sounding great. It's truly in a different league than what I've used before. Both separates easily blow the E17 out of the water. To top it all off, the whole setup was pretty inexpensive. $40 for the SX-750, $115 for the ODAC, and $240 for the Q701. For just under 400 bucks it's truly incredible.

The detail, resolution, and speed are unreal. The bass with the bass knob at +2 is really surprising, considering how most people view the Q701' bass. I'd say at this point it's just slightly north of neutral along with plenty of lower end extension, and along with the great texture they are known for. If anything, the ODAC seems to have smoothed out the Q701's sometimes edgy treble, while still being just a tad bright and very revealing. The mids are still right where they should be and also very detailed.

I am very very happy with this current setup. But of course, we will see how long it takes before I get the desire to upgrade again.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #3,498 of 9,602
I just finished assembling the O2 and I have to say that I'm impressed with the transparency of the amp and it's power. I haven't had a big chance yet for long listening but my first impression is the big difference between running the Q701 from the E07K and the O2...

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #3,499 of 9,602
Quote:
My Q701 [size=small] self-[/size][size=small]adjusting[/size][size=small] headband is starting to be "loose" on one side and on the other side its very stiff... i think it might be something with those to little cables that pull the band up and down... how to i fix them ? or make their stress more solid ? it feels like they slide a bit down my ear would love an explation and if its simple ?[/size]

any help please ?

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3,500 of 9,602
any help please ?

I read somewhere you have to replace them and I think it was with the elastic bands that women use for the air, but I cannot find where I read it. It's not and easy fix though. I'll keep searching as I'll do it as well at some point.

You can try a temporal solution with some Velcro straps maybe? Those use to tidy up the cables?

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3,501 of 9,602
Quote:
any help please ?

Quote:

The AKG headphones use little elastic loops that are anchored behind the driver and loop up onto the headband.  They put tension on the headband so that it returns and contracts and "self-adjusts".

If an elastic wears out and looses tension the headband will feel lose.  The other side shouldn't be very stiff though, because each elastic loop is independent from each other.  I assume because there's no counter-tension one side that the other side is just able to pull the headband further down.

Usually the elastics take a long time before they wear out.  Hold is your Q701?

Quote:
I read somewhere you have to replace them and I think it was with the elastic bands that women use for the air, but I cannot find where I read it. It's not and easy fix though. I'll keep searching as I'll do it as well at some point.

Yes.  I had a K400 where the elastics were shot and I bought some little black stretchy bands from Walmart.  They weren't quite as springy as the stock ones, but they worked.  It's kind of a PITA to replace them though.  You have to cut and tie the little band at just the right length or it won't have enough tension or will have too much.  Then you have to assemble it back and forth and test to find the right tension. 

I would strongly recommend contacting AKG and getting the actual elastic parts from them as it's already the right length and will save you a lot of time trying to make one the right length and tension.  It's the "rubber loop" part no. 2458A17010.  I think they're $2 or something.  If you get that it should be much easier to do as you only have to do it one time instead of trial-and-error trying to make your own and get it right.

I'm not sure if doing it on a 701 is different from a K400.  You might want to google it.  The service manual has instructions for undoing the top button that's pinching the top part of the elastic: "To exchange the rubber loops 6 break out cover 3 by inserting a screwdriver into the notch below the CE sign. Now undo locking knob 7. It has latches that have to be depressed while simultaneously pressing the knob out."

Alternatively, you might be able to place some kind of stopper or wedge in between the two horizontal clips on the headband to keep it from sliding up past a certain point. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3,502 of 9,602
Just a few impressions...

the low end really depends on the source and how it's mixed. A few examples (all FLACs played from a Rockbox'd iPod Classic 160GB through a JDS Labs C5 amp on high gain, stock short radioactive green cable):

Rush - Caress of Steel (Remastered version)
and this is true of other Rush albums I've heard, both standard CD remasters and 24-bit/96 KHz FLACs played from a PC equipped to decode them...
the bass just isn't that prominent in the mix. A slight EQ in the 60-120-250 Hz range, with a pre-cut equal to or 0.5 dB lower than the highest gain, definitely brings it forward, but also mellows the high frequencies a touch. You'd think that'd be Geddy's vocals - HA! - but you'd be wrong. I was expecting that, but they tend to mix solos noticeably higher, so Alex's guitars can get close to harsh. That's not good, so the very slight EQing helps (0.5-1 dB @ 60 Hz, 1-2 dB @ 120 Hz, 0.5 @ 250 Hz), with a 2.5 dB pre-cut. The nice thing about Rockbox is that the eight Peak Filters can be adjusted for "Centre Frequency" "Q" (A measure of the width of the frequency band -- high Q means a narrow band) and "Gain" so it's quite customizable. One way to approach it for the Q701 is to adjust the centre frequencies to handle more low end (i.e., replace 250 with 180, replace 500 with 250, replace 1000 with ???), and raise the Q value greater than the default 1. Of course, it takes experimentation.

One great thing about the Q701 is the accuracy of such a tight bass presentation. Listen to Hemispheres and you'll hear how many notes Geddy plays. I've listened to that album who knows how many times, and this is the first time I've been aware of how intricate his playing is.

Roxy Music - Roxy Music
Absolutely no lack of bass in this recording, and it's very well-represented by the Q701. No EQ needed. Almost makes these cans seem "fun"  
wink.gif

Camper Van Beethoven - Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart
Fantastic album by a fantastic band, very well-recorded. There are lots of instruments happening, and the balance between them is excellent. It's very much a rock album, and it sounds awesome on these cans. The bass player (Victor Krummenacher) is great, and the Q701 does his playing justice. The same holds true for Les Pattinson of Echo and the Bunnymen. Very inventive, musical, rolling bass lines, and fun to hear on these cans.

Steely Dan
Can't Buy A Thrill
Another album that benefits from a little EQ.

Countdown To Ecstasy
This one doesn't really need the EQ; "Bodhisattva" attests to that.

One album that was a little tough on the Q701 is Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. The highs came across as harsh, esp. the vocals. It sounds much better on the K550, for example.

With this setup, at least, the rule of thumb is, a little goes a long way.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #3,503 of 9,602
Have you heard the 40th anniversary remaster which was done by Steven Wilson? I don't hear any harshness on my setup, with that version. 
Quote:
Just a few impressions...

One album that was a little tough on the Q701 is Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. The highs came across as harsh, esp. the vocals. It sounds much better on the K550, for example.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3,504 of 9,602
Quote:
Have you heard the 40th anniversary remaster which was done by Steven Wilson? I don't hear any harshness on my setup, with that version. 

No, I wasn't aware of it. Now I'm tempted to get it. Thanks a lot... 
wink.gif
  Pretty sure mine is the 1997 remaster, as it has the same extra tracks.

But that confirms my point: Good recordings sound good on these cans. So seriously, thanks!

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #3,505 of 9,602
It is on MOG if you wanna try before you buy.

Steven Wilson also remastered Aqualung as well, and it sounds great too. 
Quote:

No, I wasn't aware of it. Now I'm tempted to get it. Thanks a lot... 
wink.gif
  Pretty sure mine is the 1997 remaster, as it has the same extra tracks.

But that confirms my point: Good recordings sound good on these cans. So seriously, thanks!

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,506 of 9,602
Quote:
It is on MOG if you wanna try before you buy.

Steven Wilson also remastered Aqualung as well, and it sounds great too. 

Not familiar with MOG, but I'll look for it. Are you listening to the 24/96 PCM version, the 5.1 version, or the standard CD version?

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #3,507 of 9,602
I don't actually own any Jethro Tull albums yet. I've been listening to them on MOG at 320kbps MP3. 
Quote:

Not familiar with MOG, but I'll look for it. Are you listening to the 24/96 PCM version, the 5.1 version, or the standard CD version?

Unrelated, but doing the math, I'm boosting everything below 100hz by 3.2db. That is all the EQ'ing I do to my Q701. My amp has a bass tone control, which is a shelf filter that kicks in at 100hz.  

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #3,508 of 9,602
Quote:
I don't actually own any Jethro Tull albums yet. I've been listening to them on MOG at 320kbps MP3. 

Unrelated, but doing the math, I'm boosting everything below 100hz by 3.2db. That is all the EQ'ing I do to my Q701. My amp has a bass tone control, which is a shelf filter that kicks in at 100hz.  

Thanks a lot for recommending MOG. I'll give it a listen tomorrow. Some things I do love to own, and I love that album 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back